It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France May Make Mental Violence a Crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Interesting article in the Times...

The proposed law says that to "act or repeatedly say things that could damage the victim's life conditions, affect his/her rights and his/her dignity or damage his/her physical or mental health'' is punishable by a jail term of up to three years and a fine of up to 75,000 euros, or about $103,000. Carefully covering both genders, the law applies to behavior toward a wife, husband, partner or concubine.

Times

Infringing on free speech? Can I not call my husband a jobless loser without facing probable jail time? (not that I would, just sayin')

[edit on 3/1/10 by zenjewel]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
that's a great law. i'd love to see that in america asap. too bad it would end up being an asskissers wet dream. i doubt it'll see much use except for in corporations where people don't fit into certain clicks.

or "certain" interenet websites ahem ahem where moderators gang up on people for not liking gays.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
While I agree that such laws are extremely risky, there is something to be said for the intent behind the laws. Wrongfully said things can be devastating to a person's psyche, and that's at least as severe as physical harm. We just disvalue the mind so much that we don't notice.

What needs to be done is the laws have to be VERY carefully worded to make sure that only things that TRULY cause damage can be prosecuted.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
...infringing on freedom of speech?... no...

...the proposed law is centered in domestic violence (as in spousal abuse) and, if passed, having that law come to your rescue would require a lot more than just claiming you're married to or living with a freak that wants to control everything except their own behavior...

...if passed, unless the areas applicable are very limited, it could have far-reaching affects - such as - being able to sue religious organizations (lots of pyschological abuse there) - and - suing private and public entities for promoting fear-inducing propaganda - and - suing your parents for repeatedly calling you ugly or stupid or a bastard - and - and - and -...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
These laws are simply deterrents for mental and verbal bullying.. just something where a solicitor's letter can be sent as a warning to an individual over.. The type of punishment that is only called upon for a couple of cases a year..

It is pretty hard to lock someone up in France.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
How do you say sieg heil in french?

Originally posted by zenjewel
Interesting article in the Times...

The proposed law says that to "act or repeatedly say things that could damage the victim's life conditions, affect his/her rights and his/her dignity or damage his/her physical or mental health'' is punishable by a jail term of up to three years and a fine of up to 75,000 euros, or about $103,000. Carefully covering both genders, the law applies to behavior toward a wife, husband, partner or concubine.

Times

Infringing on free speech? Can I not call my husband a jobless loser without facing probable jail time? (not that I would, just sayin')

[edit on 3/1/10 by zenjewel]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Once upon a time, before the world decided it needed Big Strong White Men with Guns and Badges to solve all their problems for them, we had this little saying,

Sticks and stones
May break my bones
But words
Shall never harm me

Welcome to Generation Wuss. (Actually, it's Generation "Do What I Demand or STFU" but what's semantics among oppressed free thinkers???)

Originally posted by Solasis
While I agree that such laws are extremely risky, there is something to be said for the intent behind the laws. Wrongfully said things can be devastating to a person's psyche, and that's at least as severe as physical harm. We just disvalue the mind so much that we don't notice.

What needs to be done is the laws have to be VERY carefully worded to make sure that only things that TRULY cause damage can be prosecuted.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
People say all kinds of things in the heat of the moment. It looks like they are attempting to criminalize everyone and everything and amass a prison slave labor work force instead.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I would love to have an insult match with the pussies who back this proposed law. LOL!

It's time for people to toughen up.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well, did I read this correctly?

The insult hurling French are attempting to legislate insult hurling?

[edit on 1-3-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The progressives French are at it again. When will they learn? This is what happens when you are weak take a good hard look. Whatever the French do we should do the opposite.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If you think that words have no impact, why are you using them?

What do you think happens to say, a child, if everyday one calls that child stupid or slut? Hm. Nothing?

And.....why does a french law specify "concubine?" Is this a legal categorization in France?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
If you think that words have no impact, why are you using them?

What do you think happens to say, a child, if everyday one calls that child stupid or slut? Hm. Nothing?

And.....why does a french law specify "concubine?" Is this a legal categorization in France?

You guys just don't see it do you? Just exactly where do you draw the line? And do you trust others to draw it for you? If you give them a inch........

[edit on 1-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I've seen the damage that words do. There is a limit. When you INTENT is evil, expect people to notice the destruction and do something about it.

Intent rules all. The INTENT of someone who is using words to destroy someone is not victimless.

Could and can a law like this go to far? Absolutely.

Have people gone to far in destroying others using "only" words. Indeed.

If words had no impact, you would not use them.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
sticks and stone my break my bones but words will never hurt me.

I think my mom taught me this before kindergarten. Now im not suggesting that words cannot carry lots of emotion and be very upsetting to people, but at the end of the day, they are just words, shrug it off if you dont like it or change something.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
hmm wonder if clinton had passed something like this back in the 90s

if all the verbal abuse and hate gwb took for 8 years would have happened more to the point would it have even deterred or stopped it.

control what you think
control what you believe
control what you say
control how you act
control control control.

take a good look around the world today open your eyes to see whats really happening around us.

just another step closer to communism and totalarism.

being france this doesnt surpise me

[edit on 7-3-2010 by neo96]

top topics

join