It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Shabaab to be banned in the UK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The home secretary is to designate the Somalia-based group Al-Shabaab as a terrorist organisation and ban its operation in the UK.

With the recent banning of Islam4UK, The Home Secretary Alan Johnson has now turned his attention to Al-Shabaab, The ban would mean that membership of Al-Shabaab in the UK becomes a criminal offence and it could not operate lawfully, An order has been laid in Parliament which is subject to Parliamentary approval. If passed, membership will be punishable with up to 10 years in prison.

Are the politicians finely waking up and starting to do something about terrorist organisations in the UK? It would seem so, the outrage showed by UK citizens' at Anjem Choudary and his intent to march through Wooton Basset must have done something to the mindset of the politicians, let's hope they keep it up and get real about what's going on here in the UK, The most recent census put the number of Somalis living in the U.K. at about 43,000, but immigration experts believe the true figure is far higher.

That's not to say all Somalis living in the U.K. are part of Al-Shabaab but there are reports the group may be recruiting and raising money in the Somali community in the U.K. if indeed this is true we need to wake up here in the UK and start the war on terror right on our own doorstep.

What say you ATS? Do you think the Government is doing enough to combat terrorist organisations operating in the UK?

Source

Source

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

I have never seen or heard about Al-Sahab so frankly I cannot give a honest firm opinion on that. I believe AL-Sahab would be covering Middle East news. Currently I view this like if indeed Govt. accusations are correct then they should ban it. However, if they are banning the website because of it's exposure to middle east and the ugly truths then they should not ban it.

Perhaps I would have a better say on this once I view the website? channel?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Hi December_Rain, the UK government are trying to pass a law forbidding the membership of Al-Shabaab, Al-Shabaab isn't a website it's a
terrorist organisation linked to al-Qaeda, what's happening in the UK is the organisation is recruiting and raising funds in the UK to support their activities...

Some info on Al-Shabaab:
Al-Shabaab

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Because someone like Choudry advocates hate apparently acording to the media, I have no idea myself as I don't know the bloke nor listen to anything he says I, only heard what he 'says from the MSM stories, I can understand WHY the government feels the need to stop 'hate' parades.
But for ALL the banning of others under the guise of 'terror' I cant help but think that if people of ALL colours, faiths and persuasions organised a march together declaring that the government is useless and driven by greed and should be outed they too would be branded a terror hate parade and be banned.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Hi DataWraith, neither have I met Anjem Choudary, and I certainly don't listen to his hate babble either, but there are plenty of sources online that have his hate for the UK plastered all over them, take your pick:

Anjem Choudary

Yes I agree with you that 'hate' parades need to be banned but I also think Al-Shabaab and terror organisations like them should also be banned, we here in the UK have had a far too lenient outlook on these organisations, we may monitor them and keep tabs on what their doing, but to my mind they shouldn't exist in the UK at all if they can be linked to terrorist organisations.

If people of ALL colours, faiths and persuasions organised a march together declaring that the government is useless and driven by greed they too would be branded a terror hate parade and be banned

Doubt it, that wouldn't really happen, there are too many people in the UK quite happy with the current government, i.e. immigrants illegal or otherwise just love it here, what's not to love? We give them free houses, money, and health care, so I can't see everyone marching against the government because their settled here. I get what your saying though, the government could take it into their heads anyone against them should be banned, but I don't think they would get away with that, the real issue here is the breeding of terrorist organisations in the UK and the government letting it go on (up until now it seems) they've known Al-Shabaab has been working in the UK for some time now and done nothing, they also know about the links to al-Qaeda too, yet it's only of late things are starting to changeā€¦ and for the better in my opinion...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I really agree with you. If Al Shabab support terroroists in an active manner they should be banned. THey would do the same to us if we were in Somalia.

Fair is fair

T

new topics

top topics

join