It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic child abuse scandal widens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Catholic child abuse scandal widens

www.thelocal.de

The number of former and current students at Ettal who have made accusations of abuse has risen to 20. It has also been claimed that claims were made in 2003, during a class reunion, but that nothing was done.

The monastery at St Ottilien also reported it had received a letter accusing a teacher there of abuse during the 1960s. A letter was also sent to the local paper, the Abendzeitung accusing a priest in the former seminary of having taken nude pictures of boys there during the late 1960s.

Karlheinz Knebel, general vicar of the Augsburg bishopric, called for the accusations to be th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
This one took me by supprise because it popped up in germany. Last time this issue showed its head the pope said

I beg the Lord to give the bishops of the United States the strength to build their response to the present crisis upon the solid foundations of faith and upon genuine pastoral charity for the victims.

Then he was acknowledging that there was a problem but was asking "Lord to give the bishops of the United States...". I saw this as him saying yes there is a problem but it is an american problem which is now simply not the case.
I do not believe that the teachings in the bible turn people into pedophiles but there is something that does it.

www.thelocal.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
[edit on 1-3-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don´t know what the priest´s have with kids, maybe it´s because of the castity vote.

It´s really shocking

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I don't think anyone should put all priests into this category though. I went to catholic school, I spoke in confidence with my priest several times as a kid. Yes I was alone with a priest as a child!! Yeah, nothing happened. He is the nicest person you could ever meet and was always full of wisdom.

Not all priests are chi-mos.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It seems as if the news of these cases is doled out one country at a time to ensure a continuous stream of pedophile cases in the MSM.

This will create more angst and woe among the people.

I can tell you this for nothing. I have known MANY priests in my day, NONE of them were pedophiles.

I wonder how it is that the MSM want's us to believe they ALL are?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Nice that you can speak of the "many that you've known." You should consider yourself lucky perhaps. Rather than resort to my usual RCC rants, I'll just offer a very powerful source.

www.bishopaccountability.org...

(Check out the Abuse Tracker function on left.) Skip the Survivor's Accounts if you have a weak stomach. One boy was abused at his father's funeral.

This isn't an isolated instance and above all no fluke. The history of documented abuse is far and wide. To suggest that MSM is culpable is absurd. Don't blame the tool, blame the carpenter.

Regards...kk

[edit on 1-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I certainly dont think celibacy has anything to do with abuse.

I think perverts are drawn to 'professions' where they have best access to victims.

I grew up catholic and went to catholic school. I used to earn a bit of money helping the priest at the rectory. I worked for two priests and I was sixth/seventh/eighth grade age.

My memory is not really good anymore, but I have often wondered myself if one of those priests had not done improper things, but after over twenty yrs, and not being sure, what is the point of dwelling on it? And is it only the scandals coming to light that made me look back and question, when before I had thought little of it?

There is no excuse for priests who abuse, and shame on the church for hiding this so long.

And how sad that due to the abusers, honest and loving priests probably now fear really ministering to people, especially children?

I am in the states, btw, and honestly, this is the first I have heard of other country abuse. Of course I dont search for this news either, so I may have missed it.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I also think that their celebacy has nothing to do with it and that people are drawn to professions like that. However the ongoing problem has not been the pedophiles within the church, (that is a problem) the problem has been the way it has been dealt with. They do not kick these guy out of the church the just transfer them somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

You really think I was blaming the MSM? Or is it just convenient to shift the topic of the post?

Institutionalized persecution of a particular vocation seems suspect if you ask me. (You didn't.) That does not negate the criticism of manner the information is presented.

If you could collect a database full of info regarding abuses, nearly all institutions can be painted with such a broad brush.

The abuse by priests is particularly base since they are supposed to be completely devoted to the opposite of abuse. But I suppose some find a fulfilling 'schadenfreude' when they can collect and disseminate such examples of people they are inclined to malign.

Abuse is something many people are engaged in. The MSM seems to profit quite well from the abuses of some, while completely ignoring it in others. But I won't pursue this further since you evidently are disinclined to accept the innocence of the majority.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by kinda kurious

You really think I was blaming the MSM? Or is it just convenient to shift the topic of the post?

Now what ever gave you that idea?

PRIOR POST:

Originally posted by Maxmars
I wonder how it is that the MSM want's us to believe they ALL are?

Exactly WHO attempted to shift the topic here?

As someone who knows all too well the lifelong scars left by childhood abuse I will skip my usual tirade regarding the Catholic apologists and ANY attempt to deflect or minimize this reprehensible behavior. I have volumes of erudite data to support my claims. That is unless you want to hear about priests placating young children with alcohol and drugs in order to have sex with them?

"God bless this broom that we sweep our misdeeds under the rug of righteousness."

Like I said if you were exposed to "many" priests as a youth and can attest to their moral virtue, count your blessings.

Respectfully...kk

[edit on 2-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Update if anyone cares. I seemed to have scared the RCC apologists off.

Reports in OP were at 20. As of now 150.

Nearly every day since the end of January, people have come forward to report cases of sexual abuse by Catholic priests in Germany. News reports put the number of cases at about 150.

www.cnn.com...

top topics

join