It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forum Gang Activity On the Rise on Ats?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Some people I like, and I like to show up posting on their threads in order to support that which I prefer.

Other people I despise, oh I quiver with malice at their merest manifestation, (and how I wish I could just call them colorful names of abuse at length alphabetically anathematizing them drunken-Irish-sibylline-phonebook-style), and I like to post on their threads, just to put the stink on them, as it were.

And I bet neither prong makes any particular difference, nope, probably not, not a penny-per-word's-worth.

Perhaps teamwork and conspiracy are not necessary to produce the observed results...maybe it's just the pile-up left by common/shared tastes and interests...I'd like to be part of the conspiracy (any conspiracy, I'm easy, come on) but nobody invites me to the meetings...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Stop beating around the Bush then and name names, You apparently know more than the rest of us so let’s see them. Reveal the Evil Doers, so we can tar and feather them. How dare they flock to a thread with the purpose of exposing retardation, Pro-Iran, Anti-America Propaganda and lies... HOW DARE THEY...

You get a line... Ill get the poll... Will all go down to the fishing hole, hunny o baby be mine...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Stop beating around the Bush then and name names, You apparently know more than the rest of us so let’s see them. Reveal the Evil Doers, so we can tar and feather them. How dare they flock to a thread with the purpose of exposing retardation, Pro-Iran, Anti-America Propaganda and lies... HOW DARE THEY...

You get a line... Ill get the poll... Will all go down to the fishing hole, hunny o baby be mine...

Those in forum gangs have an inherent need to dominate and tell others what to do!

This is all part of human nature. They would like to always control the direction of the topic through that attempt at dominance.

They like to bait and prod other posters into following along to lead them down that garden path were it becomes easier to isolate them and use their superior numbers to further confuse, attempt to intimidate, and then invalidate that poster.

The best way to deal with a forum gang is not to let them control the direction of the topic or dictate the timing of sequential events that are beneficial to laying out a strong fact based progressive argument built on a base of foundational infomation that can support it.

Once again this thread is an invitation for all members to do a check up from the neck up regarding their posting habits, and affiliations!

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If you name the issue Organised Flaming...you might get better reaction from moderators...well i dont know just an proposal...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by OddTimeSignature

If you name the issue Organised Flaming...you might get better reaction from moderators...well i dont know just an proposal...

He cant and wont because he doesnt know but has a suspicion. And you created this thread to stir up trouble, thats all you know you keep throwing Rocks at a Hornets Nest your going to get stung.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I guess it just depends which side you are on. I hardly think two people starring one another and agreeing with one another constitutes a gang.

The OP readily states "people give me stars just because it's me". lol.

How does that differ from someone else doing it for someone else?

So, the OP has "fans", while others have "gangs".

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Just stand up for what's right, for what you believe in, hold fast to your point of view (if you're right)

Thats the thing, everyone thinks they are right.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So excuse me for being distracted that night as you can see I had more important things to deal with than just your myopic view of Iran.

Actually the thread wasn’t about Iran though describing it in that fashion further illustrates a point about forum gangs.

The thread was about an Iranian man one Abdolmalek Rigi to be precise who amongst his more charming qualities according to Dan Rather:

Dan Rather, on the US cable channel HDnet's television news magazine Dan Rather Reports, interviewed Rigi and showed a video of Rigi personally cutting off a captive's head.

A lovely prince of a man who amongst other things is known for his ability to do things like this:

He is also reported to emulate Al-Zarqawi in his conduct and videos of hostage executions.[3] It has also been reported that he has killed his brother's wife, shooting her to death while she was asleep

wikipedia.org

Amazingly a well organized gang of people who have a decided anti-Iranian bent to the point that they would worry this delightful charachter was being persecuted by the Iranians once captured and confessing to his well known and even video taped crimes.

This is of course why rather than discuss the merrits of Rigi, or the case, they would like to imagine it's just a thread about Iran and if you don't agree it's wrong of the evil Iranian regime to prosecute people who saw off other people's heads on video tape and run terrorist organizations with a narrow agenda that just happens to be anti-Iranian that you too are pro-Iranian and anti-American even though Iran and America sound like not only very different words but are in fact very different countries!

So yes some very questionable tactics were employed by a number of very questionable posters who seemed to not care one wit about who Rigi was or his crimes but much more about individual posters who wouldn't condemn Iran for prosecuting this person.

The wonderful thing is if you give people a chance to talk inside each lie and distortion will be a shred of truth.

In this case that some posters saw this simply as an Iranian Thread when in fact it was about a notorious international criminal with strong ties to many violent crimes and violent organizations who was finally apprehended by Iran.

ATS Members should be aware of forum gang tactcis and how they look to deflect away from the true topic of the thread and the real issue to promote their organized and sometimes even paid agendas!

Thanks for posting!

[edit on 2/3/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I really got no problem with 'em even if there are these gangs.
They mind there own business, stay off my turf, should be cool.
If they start stomp'in where they don't belong, this is what happens.

link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

sorry it might be a language issue from me...but i didn´t get you in your last post...

link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

He cant and wont because he doesnt know but has a suspicion. And you created this thread to stir up trouble, thats all you know you keep throwing Rocks at a Hornets Nest your going to get stung.

Interesting take, how could trouble be stirred up though if there were no Forum Gangs this could cause trouble for?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Interesting take, how could trouble be stirred up though if there were no Forum Gangs this could cause trouble for?

A coordinated attack by a few members aimed at falsely accusing one or more other members of being guilty of "Gang" activity in order to achieve a goal.

Meanwhile, Isn't this a sort of "Gang" activity?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by angeldoll
I guess it just depends which side you are on. I hardly think two people starring one another and agreeing with one another constitutes a gang.

The OP readily states "people give me stars just because it's me". lol.

How does that differ from someone else doing it for someone else?

So, the OP has "fans", while others have "gangs".

One of the distinctions between fans and gangs is that gangs go after posters like the OP and basically try to defeat the OP's argument by attacking him and not the argument.

They do this by selecting choice elements that they take out of context to do just that.

Anyone who had read the OP objectively and many people posting to the thread have read it objectively also read that it constitutes a forum gang when members organize and communicate privately outside of the thread to attack the OP through that kind of selective cherry picking and out of context sourcing meant to attack the OP and not the overall substance of the entire presentation and all it's aspects.

They hope by isolating one portion out of context and then linking it as a charachter issue that the entirety in its entire context and the portions that they have no fact based argument to refute will then be overlooked.

Thanks for your help in illustrating this!

Much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

A coordinated attack by a few members aimed at falsely accusing one or more other members of being guilty of "Gang" activity in order to achieve a goal.

Meanwhile, Isn't this a sort of "Gang" activity?

Well I have never met a guilty person who didn't purport they were falsely accused!

That's really a matter of an empowered ruling body to decide on, guilt and innocense.

Kind of like kids who like to say I am a good girl, when as their parent you get to set the standards for what's good and bad and make that call.

When it then comes to whether an icecream cone is involved or a time out trip to the room it's that empowered ruling authority that determines guilt and innocense.

You have the right to remain silent though, anything you do or say may in fact be held against you by ruling bodies!

Thanks for posting.

[edit on 2/3/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
@randyv
loved that book, never saw the movie though. how retro!

@proto-
we are talking about ice cream now? some good points on this thread, but that metaphor is bringing me down. we're not kids, here... most of us anyway.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
@randyv
loved that book, never saw the movie though. how retro!

@proto-
we are talking about ice cream now? some good points on this thread, but that metaphor is bringing me down. we're not kids, here... most of us anyway.

Heavens to Betsy, I scream, you scream we all scream for Ice Cream.

It will not surprise you to know though that I am still sitting on a huge cache of Girl Scout Cookies.

Cookies and milk?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You don't have to thank me. Actually the line between "fans" and "gangs" remains blurred, in terms of the given definition.

There is actually no way for a member to determine whether a "conspiracy" is being developed via U2U to form a gang, so if that's a part of the criteria, it is moot one, as it is only guess work and conjecture.

It actually depends on motivation of the poster(s), and this is not something verifiable. The motivation aspect is intangible, as long as U2U's are private.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Now this reply really had me thinking. I will not elaborate on where my thinking led me but I would love to hear an explanation as to what is meant by this. If you don't mind giving everyone a little clarity on your reply.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

This is simply an example of how ATS ROLLS

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The Moderators are very busy and doing a fine job for people who need a Waambulance!

I on the other hand just need the moths to gather around the flame for a little fire side chat!

This thread is not for the moderators its for the members who love ATS who want to keep it a quality and civil productive site and have an interest in either doing that, or trying to keep it from being one.

Its a reminder to people that the only person we are fooling is that person in the mirror because Santa is always going to know who is naughty or nice!

Once again I am asking all members to do a check up from the neck up look at their own posting tactics and habits, self critque them and realize if the shoe fits well someone might spot you wearing it, and comment on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join