It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gambling: An Example of how Government takes away our rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In Alabama, Republican Governor Bob Riley is waging a war against gambling. Spending large sums of taxpayers money trying to stop it. All the while, many more issues in the state are being overlooked, and the vast majority of Alabamians want legalized gambling.

blog.al.com...

This got me thing about gambling being illegal in the first place. Why is this outlawed in so many different locations?

Supposedly, gambling is illegal due to the fact that religious institutions disapprove of it and the fact that it can have adverse social ramifications.

Lets look at the social ramifications first. Sure, someone can become addicted to gambling and ruin there lives. However, that same person could become addicted to alcohol, sex, video games, etc and do the same thing. To me this goes back to personal responsibility, it is not society's responsibility to make sure you keep yourself in check.

Religions do frown upon gambling for most of the reasons mentioned above. However, most Christians believe that the bible specifically states that gambling is a sin, and this is the major reason why most anti-gambling laws are put into place. The closest the Bible comes to mentioning gambling is when it warns you to stay away from the "Love of Money". It has been a while since I read through the Bible but I think I remember the apostles casting lots to find a replacement for Judas. So even though its ok for the freaking apostles to "gamble" it isn't ok for us to.

This is just another way the government takes away our rights, plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
With obama in the office and issues like healthcare and gun control it is easy to forget that democrats aren't the only ones who trapple the constitution to do whatever they think is right based soley on their opinions.

Also, i guess alabama must be doing pretty well economically since i have seen other states take the opposite side, loosening restrictions on gambling to bring in more state revenue.

join