It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs one-year extension of Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Obama signs one-year extension of Patriot Act

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has signed a one-year extension of several provisions in the main U.S. counterterrorism law, the Patriot Act.

Provisions in the measure would have expired on Sunday without Obama's signature Saturday.

The act, which was adopted in the weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, expands the government's ability to monitor Americans in the name of national security.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is interesting. I figured he would do away with this one, and attempt to have a sort of PA2 thing going on.

Mind you this doesn't surprise me:

The Senate also approved the measure, with privacy protections cast aside when Senate Democrats lacked the necessary 60-vote supermajority to pass them. Thrown away were restrictions and greater scrutiny on the government's authority to spy on Americans and seize their records.

That's pretty convenient.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/28/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have moved from "terribly disappointed" to "utterly disgusted" when it comes to Pres. Obama. But this development is simply beyond the Pale. Only a true monster would extend the so-called "Patriot Act".

I hope USAMericans will wake up and vote out all of the Establishment Republicans and the Mafiosi Democrats.

I can hardly believe it, but Obama is worse than Bush.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
goddammit. This is just. I'm so disappointed in you, Obama. You promised us this wouldn't happen. You filthy liar.

I'm voting independent in 2012. It's the only way that there's any chance of change at all. And it's not much of a chance.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Does anyone know if this has to be done every year? Otherwise a one-year extension seems pretty short-sighted to me. Is bho planning on winning the war on terrorism by next march?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CSquared288

If it does have to be done every year, it is in that state so that they can make it look like we'll be free of it eventually. "It will expire eventually... We just need it this much longer. Don't worry, you won't be at risk of being spied on in a year. It's temporary!"

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have to say that the "Change" is getting pretty thick around DC these days.

Sorry for such a short post, but there really isn't much more I can say about it.

Thanks for nothing Obama.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I smell a rat, about a "Stack" high.
Gone are the days of coincidence.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CSquared288
Does anyone know if this has to be done every year? Otherwise a one-year extension seems pretty short-sighted to me. Is bho planning on winning the war on terrorism by next march?

God dammit, he is the POTUS at yours, what is the matter extending it to the end of his presidency? He knows that most of the population of the US knows that he would repeat this next year until his "finito" in the office.

Something smells here terribly: WHY HAS HE EXTENDED IT ONLY ONE YEAR INTO THE FUTURE, plus a day before the outdating of the law.
I have a undying bad feeling that next year it will be absolutely out of concern for us to worry about the PATRIOT act anymore, because the era of the PATRIOT act will be for us like a happy memory on a merry-go ride.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
I have moved from "terribly disappointed" to "utterly disgusted" when it comes to Pres. Obama. But this development is simply beyond the Pale. Only a true monster would extend the so-called "Patriot Act".

I hope USAMericans will wake up and vote out all of the Establishment Republicans and the Mafiosi Democrats.

I can hardly believe it, but Obama is worse than Bush.

A more traitorous act has never been passed. The name is pure Orwellian Newspeak propaganda. This isn't change, it's more of the same old crap we didn't believe in. As much as I dislike Republicans, I might vote for one just to see Obama lose. It's one thing to run around talking like a Nazi (like Bush did) and then support fascist legislation. It's quite another to have the audacity to promise change and give people hope then stab everyone in the back (like Obama has done).

Oh, and don't believe the cr@p on CNN where they make it sound constitutional:

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Crito]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Perhaps things of significant proportions are planned by the elite for 2010.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I gave him a chance again and he has failed me!!!!!!!!!!!
They are all playing for the same team and that team is against the citizens of the United States. It does not matter what political party you belong to they are not on you side. Freedom does not matter to them they want complete control and we will pay the cost for it.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
What a Dic!

He's not even pretending to be a "liberal" now...

Well FYI I am against this anyway you paint it, even if it was resurrected by my personal savior.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Not surprised one bit by this. He'll need this for the riots after he signs the tax bill for the supposed health care that won't begin to take effect for 4 years. What percentage of American voters that actually pay taxes will willingly pay for health care twice for at least 4 years while the country collapses with perpetual overspending?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Come on. You guys know better. It doesn't matter who the President is at this point. Forget voting, it's a waste of your time. You'll make a better stand/statement/whatever, by not bothering.

One more year of the Patriot Act and then what? Something tells me it won't be better or involve more freedom for us. Just a hunch.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shasta9600

I think we'd be better served by voting for independent candidates. Try to show that it's not a simple two party system like we think.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crito
A more traitorous act has never been passed.

Incorrect; you forget about Patriot Act 2.

I'm not sure whether I'm surprised by this or not, but I am definitely disappointed. We will never know, but I can't help wondering if the US would have been better or worse off with McCain.

I'd like to see some real 'patriot acts' by the government, like a public burning of this fascist document...

Excuse me, several nice men in black suits with guns are at the door.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
edit: double post, delete me.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It is disgusting, but not surprising. A man who has shown ideologically to believe that government can better determine how people should live than the people themselves is not going to deprive himself of such a useful tool.

I agree with the posters who say that going independent is the only way. Either party, and I've worked for both, is simply interested in what it takes to get elected to satisfy their respective financial interests. They both agree with the idea that government is meant to find solutions, and so will always vote to grow the parasite.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Well FYI I am against this anyway you paint it, even if it was resurrected by my personal savior.

lolz

[edit on 3/1/10 by CSquared288]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join