It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vilama Caldera in Argentina showing signs of harmonic tremor-

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I was doing a random search on Calderas and happened across a few articles that peeked my interest. Some are more recent than others, but none the less. With the 8.8 earthquake and numerous violent aftershocks in Chile, and the separate ones as well in Argentina, I wondered if these current events may qualify as a swarm of sorts? Thus I felt the information that I have posted was worth a discussion. Are these Calderas showing signs of an impending super eruption?

Vilama Caldera in Argentina showing signs of harmonic tremor – signs of mega volcano in 2012?
India Daily Technology Team
Aug. 24, 2007

A supervolcano hidden in a veritable mega-volcano nursery called the Eduardo Avaroa Caldera Complex, located in the inhospitable Puna-Altiplano region near the tri-section of Argentina, Bolivia, and Chile is a major focus of many volcano experts in recent days.

The harmonic tremor is appreciating in a cyclical way. There are signs of trouble ahead. An extrapolation in time axis point to a possible mega eruption in 2012.
Source

Mega Eruption of Yellowstone's Southern Twin
28 March 2006
GSA Release No. 06-13

Boulder, Colo. -- North America isn't the only continent that's experienced super-colossal volcanic eruptions in the recent geologic past. The massive explosion of the almost unknown Vilama Caldera in Argentina appears to have matched Yellowstone's last continent-blanketing blast. It may, in fact, be just one of several unappreciated supervolcanoes hidden in a veritable mega-volcano nursery called the Eduardo Avaroa Caldera Complex, located in the inhospitable Puna-Altiplano region near the tri-section of Argentina, Bolivia, and Chile.

"Vilama Caldera formed during a single event that emitted approximately 2000 cubic kilometers (almost 500 cubic miles) of pyroclastic material," said geologist Miguel M. Soler of the National University of Jujuy in San Salvador de Jujuy, Argentina. The volume of ash and pyroclastic material, called ignimbrites, produced by the 8.4 million-year-old eruption, and the size of the associated caldera, put it among the world's largest known eruptions, he says.
Source

Supervolcanoes Cluster in S. America
By Larry O'Hanlon, Discovery News

April 7, 2006 — Geologists have uncovered a whole herd of supervolcanoes hidden in the remote Argentina-Bolivia-Chile highlands. One that's been getting a closer look by Argentine geologists may have matched or exceeded the explosive fury and pyroclastic volume of the Yellowstone eruptions.

It appears that 10- by 24-mile Vilama Caldera coughed up some 500 cubic miles of molten rock in a single gigantic eruption 8.4 million years ago, said geologist Miguel Soler of the National University of Jujuy in San Salvador de Jujuy, Argentina.
Source

From these articles, it appears as though this activity isn't new but has now strengthened, signs have been pointing to this cluster of Calderas showing activity for approximately the past 3 years.

Thoughts?

*added bold/size characters

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
My thoughts are.. we're all doomed.

But really, with most eyes on Yellowstone around here, i would imagine a big one will be somewhere else, just cause, that's how these things tend to go.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have searched for a map of these Caldera clusters to no avail, if anyone is able to show specifically in the region where these clusters are located I would be most appreciative. I personally would like to gain a visual perspective of where this is on a map. Thanks in advance!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Forgive my ignorance.

A caldera is a super-volcano, correct? So if one erupts, are we looking at massive extinction, nuclear winter, change in climate, or what?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It looks like it's just slightly NNE of the where argentina, chile, and bolivia meet.

Here's a crappy map i found. www.geo.uu.nl...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
No a caldera can be applied to any volcano that has, well a caldera.
Its the basin like feature below the rim that is common with active volcano's. The depression at the top where lava comes up. Not always but its the common picture we all have.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Caldera - A large crater formed by collapse or subsidence of the ground surface following a great eruption. During a typical caldera-forming eruption, the magma chamber is partially emptied and large amounts of ash and pyroclastic debris are extruded.

Here's another informative source: Caldera

*ETA: additional source

[edit on 2/28/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Very interesting post Uber given the recent activity in that area, specifically the independent 6.3 in Argentina.

IMHO much as I follow the popular Yellowstone thread it wouldn't surprise me in the least to be blind-sided by nature and have this region show signs of activity.

For bringing it to our attention - don't suppose they have all the monitoring sites set up there just in case ? (apart from Chaiten)

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

don't suppose they have all the monitoring sites set up there just in case ? (apart from Chaiten)

Haven't found a thing in the specific region, at least not accessible on line, however USGS's world monitoring covers any quakes there would be. Also there is RSOE EDISwhich is in real time as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is from Aug. 24, 2007, if they had harmonic tremors then I'm sure what ever it was happened already.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

This is from Aug. 24, 2007, if they had harmonic tremors then I'm sure what ever it was happened already.

The thing with a Caldera, no one actually knows. The precursors are all speculative notions. These speculations by seismologists have ranged from earthquake clusters being the sign of eminent eruption while others argue that eruptions could still be 100's to 1000's of years away.

The article did state that the 2007 harmonic tremors meant that an eruption could occur in 2012, again speculation. With all the clusters going on at Yellowstone the same argument could be said.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I found this site: www.volcanolive.com...

He may only be a tour guide but there's nothing like hands-on info ! Also he has a contact option which could lead us to sites albeit in Spanish which monitor the area better - just a thought .

On a quick flick through his writings , he's passionate and apparently 27 odd volcanoes to keep an eye on in that strip ! (South America)

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Nice Thread... lot's of info.
Interesting subject, always.

An extrapolation in time axis point to a possible mega eruption in 2012.

... and there that date comes again.

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
227 events recorded for this area since 2002.

5 so far this year. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

here is what i found

images.google.com...://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060403/gallery/supervolcano_zoom.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.stumbleupon.co m/stumbler/starspirit/tag/geology/&usg=__om0pVoYCRixiSr_pYm3Qz9itNts=&h=540&w=540&sz=137&hl=en&start=2&sig2=Gwbcms1lMWyuAzkla445Gg&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Y HgniGJC0cj1eM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsupervolcanoes%2Bhidden%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bremote%2BArgentina-Bolivia-Chile%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN% 26rlz%3D1T4GGHP_enUS368US368%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=IHuVS6CbBsyjmQfMyKSPBA

top topics

join