It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large head of Pharaoh Amenhotep III made of red granite unearthed in Luxor temple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I just learned about the discovery of this head.

And definitely thought I should post for you all to see !

A part of the article. (Visit the link for full article)
[qoute]
CAIRO — Archaeologists have unearthed the massive head of one Egypt’s most famous pharoahs who ruled nearly 3,400 years ago, the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities announced Sunday.

It never stops amazing me ! How on Earth were these people capable of making thes statues and so on, with their simple copper tools . We believe they should have.

The expedition, however, has unearthed a wealth of artifacts and statuary in the buried ruins, including two statues of Amenhotep made of black granite found in March.

Of course there are more atifects found Just a reminder for those who do not read the entire article .

The full news story

And from another source.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hmm no photos yet?

I would really love to see a pic of this marvelous find.

It is a priceless artifact that is for sure! I am literally drooling for the opportunity to see it myself.

Thanks for the good news Sinter. At least there are some cool things happening in the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

They used more then copper tools they also used stone tools. We don't think of stone tools the same anymore but we still use many stone tools. SHarpening stones for knifes, Stone grinding wheels, Sand on sand paper, we even use diamond stones on drill bits. What would we be able to build without stone tools today? Not much.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
egyptsites.wordpress.com...

In 2009 the colossal fallen statue of Amenhotep III has been reconstructed from parts and raised again at Kom el-Hettan. The head of the statue had been taken to the UK in the 19th century by antiquities collector Henry Salt, ending up in the British Museum, where it is now. An exact replica of the original head was made by Michael Neilsen of the British Museum and taken to Egypt complete the statue. Other large parts of the limbs and torso have been found during excavations directed by Dr Hourig Sourouzian, of the Armenian Academy of Sciences at Amenhotep’s temple. The granite statue was originally one of a pair in the peristyle court of the temple and shows the King wearing the red crown of lower Egypt, while its companion wore the white crown of Upper Egypt.

Also in March 2009 Dr Sourouzian’s Mission have reported two more statue finds from Amenhotep’s temple. The first, a well-preserved black granite seated statue of the King on a throne with youthful features and wearing a nemes headdress. The face is slightly damaged but this is the first polished black granite statue to be found in recent times on this site. The name of Amenhotep III is inscribed on the base of the statue. The second statue, this time in quartzite, depicts Amenhotep III as a sphinx with a lion’s body and human head. Again it is largely well-preserved except for damage to the front paws and parts of the face. A broken architrave from the temple has also been recently uncovered and this includes a hieroglyphic inscription of the temple dedication.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Thank you for adding the pictures !

About the tools.

I, not so long ago, watched a documentary on it.
Where the used the exact same equipment and try different ways of using them.

What came out was, it's possible to carve the stones with them.
Only granite, they said was just to hard to achieve the results we find today.

I saw it on Discovery or National Geographic. I,don't remember the title.

Reply to post from muzzleflash

You're welcome !

new topics

top topics

join