It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thread Proving 2012 is of signifigance, but not the end of the world.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

I'm not talking about polar shift, I'm talking about plate tectonics.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

So am I. The continents are floating on a liquid body. They can slide across that body if something of strength could pull it. Scientists call this a geographical shift, which is one of two types of a polar shift. Because in order for a geographical shift to occur, a polar shift must as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
reply to post by Solasis

So am I. The continents are floating on a liquid body. They can slide across that body if something of strength could pull it. Scientists call this a geographical shift, which is one of two types of a polar shift. Because in order for a geographical shift to occur, a polar shift must as well.

That's not how plate tectonics works. The continents are parts of solid plates of land, the parts which are above sea level. The same plates continue beneath the ocean, as well as others. These plates rest on the viscous asthenosphere (en.wikipedia.org...), which is kind of liquid-like but probably more like wax or soft plastic. They drift naturally with time; this is why earthquakes happen and mountain ranges exist -- two plates encountering each other in various ways.

So, something strong enough could pull the plates, but it's not necessary or even all that sensible to expect it.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

We don't actally enter the Age of Aquarius for another 600 years.

365daysofastronomy.org...

A pole shift is completely theoretical... there is no proof for any of this.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Crapsghetti]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Crapsghetti

I am not trying to prove a pole shift, if you read the thread you'd see that.

Solasis, I know how plate tectonics work. At one point all the land was connected in the form of one big continent. So how did they break apart? All I am saying is, the theory is possible. The rapid changes in the ice core samples and other things are just evidence that it is possible. But as I said before, we haven't experienced it in our lifetimes or in the near past, so we cannot make any judgements until it's happening. But at the same time, we cannot simply ignore the possibility. Humans do not understand how things work anymore. Maybe we used to, maybe all the ancients are right, but we won't know for sure until something happens to us personally. All we can do is observe, and be open minded that earth is a tiny little object in a very big universe. We are not invincible, and at any time, something could happen to earth just like humans swat at a fly.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Alright, I'll concede that you know what you're talking about and I was just misreading you now
But I want to talk about something else entirely a little bit...

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
But as I said before, we haven't experienced it in our lifetimes or in the near past, so we cannot make any judgements until it's happening.

This is a wretchedly inaccurate sentiment which I'm getting tired of. We cannot make any definite judgments until we've observed it. However, we have observed what state the world is in and certain ways that it changes, and we can guess fairly accurately by extension from those facts. Empirical Evidence is not the only source of knowledge; it is simply the only source of definite knowledge about the external world. This isn't an attack on yoru beliefs exactly, just an attack on that attitude

But at the same time, we cannot simply ignore the possibility. ... but we won't know for sure until something happens to us personally. All we can do is observe, and be open minded that earth is a tiny little object in a very big universe. We are not invincible, and at any time, something could happen to earth just like humans swat at a fly.

I agree entirely

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

I was speaking for people in general. Because 95% of people cannot accept different beliefs until it is dead obvious that the truth they know is wrong. So to try and prove something, that even has evidence from the past, doesn't mean anything, until it affects them personally, then they say, oh, maybe its true. And that, is the entire problem behind 2012.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
why is everyone so stuck on needing proof...
If you don"t believe it is of great significance to us then ignore the topic. Although i do not believe that the world is simply going to end on 2012 i still believe it will be a time of great change for us.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by charlannmarie

Everyone is stuck on needing proof because none of us are educated enough to figure it out on our own. Look at society today... If technology were to die, 90% of the world would have no idea how to look after itself.

Without technology, human beings are useless. Sad but true.

None of us know how to survive on our own, we are not connected to nature anymore. At all. We have lost touch with mother nature. Our world is dying, we are a cancer of the planet. How long can the world sustain 7 billion people and growing? Do all of you seriously believe that our kids and grandkids will be living in happy times? Massive food shortages are coming, world economies are going to fail, the world is already on the brink of war, it's not going to take much to tip it over the edge.

If 2012 is false, like so many claim its nothing significant, our future still looks pretty bleak. The future has no hope in it. Not for 7 billion and counting. If humans are to survive, we need to drastically reduce our population to something that is in balance with nature. You can only put your hand in the cookie jar so many times, one day there will be no cookies left. Then what?

Sad to say it, but 2012 needs to happen, billions need to die, in order for humankind to survive. Even if you don't believe me right now, you will in our lifetime. This generation, right now, is the last generation worth living.

<< 1   >>

join