It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Mental Disorders (Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia)? Enter Neurofeedback!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Ahh gotta love the healthcare system in Australia.

2 sessions a week, totalling $180, has ben brought down to $45 a week!

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
So you're paying 25% of the cost and medicare is covering the rest??? Have I got that right? If that's the case, then well done, i hope it goes well for you.

I just had my 7th (or 8th) session today (can't recall), but its going amazingly well. Always leaving with a clear head whilst the fuzziness disappears. The depression is definitely leaving, can't complain about other issues..all seem to be going swell so far.

Will see how i go by the end of the 15 sessions.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

Yea im paying $45 out of the $180 total! Medicare covers 1 session a week, and my private health care covers half the cost of the other session

Great to see how far your progressing, will be interesting to know how far you've come after 15 sessions. My practitioner recommends ATLEAST 20 sessions, so we'll see how i go.

I think in the mean time, in the waiting period, its making my depression a little worse, in anticipation of this treatment! Bit more anxiety, cant sleep as well. Just really want this to work!

I have dysthymic disorder (which is a chronic form of depression, that is contant and doesnt change).. i've only had it 6 months and finally something which gives me hope

It's obviously a bit different to what you have (bi-polar), but hopefully i can get similar results.. I've found a research study online about it, and the neurofeedback had pretty much all the patients with dysthymia in remission after around 30 sessions.

Amazing that this treatment isnt mainstream. I think the big pharma companies and the FDA are happy just pushing drugs and useless therapies as the only 'coping' methods for dealing with depression, making billions of dollars, whilst promising treatments like this are swept under the rug

[edit on 15-3-2010 by James23]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by James23

20 sessions should do good, and yes its quite promising to say the least, but you're right, the mere fact that the pharma's can't make money out of this, they'll try anything to try sweep it under the carpet, however I am hoping there's enough testimonials to really give this a shot and hopefully it WILL become mainstream.

Awesome that Medicare and private healthcare are covering 75% of your treatment, i've not heard of that type of depression before, so all the best with it, keep us posted on it, perhaps start a thread about it yourself on your own treatment? Good luck with it.

Marty

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Hey Im a Marty, hows the sessions going?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I think the reason it isn't more widespread is because it is still in its infancy and still requires a lot of research showing what it can and can't do. Behavioral therapy was still the dominant form of psychotherapy up until the late-90s and early-00s even though more effective cognitive therapies had been developed since the 80s.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
My sessions are beginning to allow my brain to stay on a regular 'non depressed' state, i've dropped my sessions down to once a week instead of two and the last session i had was 1920 in the positive!!! That was a huge jump and the benefits are starting to stay permanent without needing to undergo further treatments.. I had my 8th session so another 7 and I've done my whole lot.

I have also been offered to become a practitioner, the practitioner who's treating me is considering getting another laptop and asked me if I wanted to become a practitioner myself. I was honored

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
One cannot cure bipolar unless they were able to cause the shrunken lobe of the brain to regenerate. Bipolar is a physical illness that is not characterized by the effects of the workings of a normal brain. We are mutants literally there is no cure as known to science. If you are thinking you can find a miracle cure for bipolar think again, there is no cure or even a medicine specifically for bipolar yet. There will most likely never be a real cure for this illness but hopefully there will come medicines specifically meant to treat bipolar. For now we are forced to take medicines designed for delusional people like schizophrenics who see spirits and most are so scared of them and they resort to hiding from them. Personally I take these antipsychotics and I can say they help a little but do not stop my cycles. When my cycle decides to run and depression sets in none of their stupid pills work. Thankfully God made me a genius in chemistry so I am now studying science and chemistry is part of my major. I will work specifically on a bipolar medicine independently and will deliver the sustainance needed by many bipolar people in the future but that is at least five years out. For now we must be happy with these semihelpful antipsychotics as a solution to our problems. When I asked my doctor why there is no medicine specifically made to treat bipolar, he told me that there is not enough people who have the illness to make it profitable for them to develop a medicine to treat the illness. I then stated, I don't believe there is more schizophrenics than people with bipolar, instead I believe that schizophrenia and delusional disorders command more attension. I have met many bipolar people in my life and I can say that every single one of them were exceptional people with rich personalities, these are not the kind who hurt other people, only themselves when they can't take it anymore. This is why I think they concentrate on the antipsychotics, schizophrenics can be very dangerous to themselves and those around them when they get freaked out and enter a fight or flight situation based on their dillusions/spirit world interactions. People with bipolar aren't dangerous to society only themselves so medicating them specifically is not a high priority. I will end this after I finish school, so long as I don't encounter an unimaginable hurdle to jump. I suffer this illness (bipolar 1) in the worst possible way. I actually have two different cycles of depression/mania that function in my life I (as if one was not enough). People who have real true bipolar are in fact mutants, we have on average 1/3 more neurotransmitter brain cells than norm. We also have one side of our brain that is shrunken and shriveled up, this is the same region that we use to express our emotions. So, you see a bipolar person who actually has the disorder/mutation can never be cured so to say because every single one of them are mutated physically. If you are in remission, then good for you, but you are still bipolar and sooner or later you will feel it again, that is guaranteed so prepare yourself for it. I get real bad depression about every three months so I prepare myself for it when it attacks. If you think you can be cured of your bipolar or even schizophrenia then think again because this condition is caused by brain damage and mutations of the brain. Don't think that you are lost though because there are several special abilities that come with all of these illnesses. Bipolar people have supernatural powers of focus especially when it concerns feelings or emotions. People with ADHD can think about several things at once and they can think on average 3 times faster than the normal person. I have both of these mental illnesses/mutations. If you think your depression is cured and you have bipolar then forgive me for laughing but you can never be cured so get used to it. If you are bipolar your only hope is to become a realist. This is the only way to live through the absence of a will to live that strikes everyone with bipolar type 1. I have one of the few cases in the world ever that experience hyper cycling that can cycle between up and down every ninety minutes if I'm not medicated. That nightmare is only half of my problem I also suffer a heavier second cycle that runs every three months and the depression lasts about a month. If you can testify to worse that me then you can say what here, but I know that not many people could possibly experience my extreme so I have become an expert on the subject and also a very valuable study subject. I have never met another bipolar patient who has two seperate cycles like I do. I have also not met anyone with bipolar who is as knowledgable as I am concerning bipolar. I was alarmed when I saw the OP claiming to be cured from their depression and found myself compelled to respond. Once again bipolar depression cannot be cured and will never be cured unless they learn how to revive atrophied regions within the brain. If your depression is from bipolar then get ready for the long run because it always comes back for every single one of them and I am no exception to that rule.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

How'd it all go Im a Marty?

I've had my QEEG, which is quite incredible, it shows you exactly where and why i feel the way i do.

I have abnormal, statistically significant, hyper-aroused beta waves which need to be trained down to a more 'normal' level. My psychologist assures me as this occurs, my symptoms should vanish.

I asked him why this treatment isnt more mainstream, he answered that he thinks in the next 10-15 years it will be the norm in mental health.

I told him, i think its because the big pharma companies dont want to lose billions of dollars profit from selling drugs.. he laughed and agreed

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I am extremely skeptical of the diagnosis process in most disorders, both physical and mental. It seems as though they are diagnosing many people with mental disorders that really don't have these illnesses or any illness at all. There could be many reasons for this but if I had to guess, I would guess that it's a way to drug to the public and also categorize people.

Take for instance my ex-wife and the mother of my son. She grew up in a small French speaking town here in America. She is very intelligent and highly successful, having completed graduate school at an ivy-league university and landing a very successful career in the financial industry.

Anyway, after a trip to Europe about 7 years ago, she became depressed and quit a six-figure salary job because she became disillusioned with the industry and found that her job interfered with her morals and her family obligations, among other things. After stepping off the latter that she was so determined to climb, she took a simple job waiting tables at a high-end restaurant owned by a friend of ours and obviously not for the money, but rather to keep busy and interact with others. Of course this hurt us financially and at that time, we had to make some major cut-backs because me being in the military, didn't bring in a whole lot of money, though certainly enough to get by. This only added to her depression.

Anyway, because of her depression, which I fervently believe even until this day, that it was just a phase, we took her to see a psychiatrist who immediately put her on a few chemical medications. He then put her in an institution for about three weeks to run some tests and when all was said and done, she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and put her on more chemicals. While I was distrusting of this diagnosis, she was not and bought it hook, line and sinker.

We have several friends who are drug-reps and we hear the stories at dinner parties are what have you, about the extravagant luncheons and focused lobbying of medical professionals on behalf of certain medications, the main ones being mental health medications.

Never before had she had a manic experience until a couple years after taking these chemicals recommended by her mental health doctors. She would go through these weird experiences such as staying awake for days and practically turning into a different person. It got to the point where she couldn't be trusted alone with the kids. Her doctors had told us that these bad manic spurts were because of the medications or lack thereof and after adjustments and more chemicals, she would seemingly return to herself. I have always maintained that it her condition was the sole consequence of the chemicals that she was forcing her body to consume.

It wound up getting to the point where she tried to take her own life and so was subsequently put into another mental hospital. After another three weeks, they had called me in for a "family meeting". After arriving, they informed me that the were going to add the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder to her existing diagnosis of bipolar disorder and they were going to prescribe her additional medications. I thought to myself, "here we go again" and so I took the lead doctor aside and expressed my concerns with these medications to which point she told me that I should research the disorder before coming to any conclusions and then when into this shtick about how everyone experiences some personal denial when it comes to a family members or self being diagnosed with these mental health disorders and that a normal life can be achieved with the right medications and therapy. She then told me she would gather some information on the disorder for me and ordered one of her subordinates to get right on it.

After her subordinate returned with the information, it was all fliers, pamphlets and documents from the pharmaceutical company Pfizer, listing symptoms and of course medications and treatments sponsored or manufactured by Pfizer. Even still, I was willing to keep an open mind because after all, this was the health and life of the mother of my children and one of my best friends. My wife (now my ex-wife though still a very good friend) then grab the stack of papers and flyers, searched through it and finally stopped on a paper listing the symptoms and of course, this symptom sheet was created by Pfizer, with their logo right on the front. She told me, "See honey, I have most of those symptoms. I really do have the disorder". when I looked at the symptoms, I couldn't believe my eyes and I had had enough. These symptoms, in fact all of these symptoms were symptoms that everyone has at certain points in their life, including the doctors. Some of these symptoms included (though I'm sure there are more):

• Avoiding abandonment
• Have difficulty with relationships
• Unsure of his or her own identity or unstable self-image
• Impulsive purchases
• Mood swings
• Have problems controlling anger

I also think it pertinent to add that even on that flier, it states that someone doesn't need to meet all or even a majority of these symptoms to be diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and to quickly speak with a medical professional to get help. What the flier doesn't tell you, is that the company producing that flier, spends millions of dollars on gifts and extravagant lunches and other lobbying efforts to persuade the doctors to prescribe their medications. In the pharma-rep industry, a doctor who prescribes more of your company's medicine, is a doctor who will be treated better by the pharmaceutical companies and pharma-reps, even going as far to offer lucrative retirement deals that puts these doctors on a salary for an "advisory" role in the company, after retirement of course.

So, basically what the flier is doing is getting you to believe that you may have the disorder because of course you will have some, if not all of those symptoms and the doctor that you will see, is on their payroll, all but enduring them a new life-long customer.

Anyway, I raised a big stink in that family meeting, after reading those symptoms and the manner in which they were getting my wife to believe that she had a mental disorder that she probably didn't have.

Continued below...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

...Continued from top

I basically went down the list of symptoms and confronted the doctors right in front of her. I had asked them if they too had these symptoms and reminded them that lying would only reinforce my message. I assured my wife that I too had most of these symptoms yet the government allows me to handle million dollar investments, people, as we perform the highly dangerous task of exiting perfectly good aircraft.

When all was said and done, I had finally convinced my wife to hold off on taking any more medications until we could do some research of our own, much to the protest of her doctors.

After getting home, we began to research but our research was more focused on the hospital's relationship with Pfizer and the doctor's as well. We learned, among many other things that this hospital was heavily targeted for lobbying by Pfizer and that the doctor treating her, had been visited by drug-reps on almost a weekly basis during the time that she was in the hospital alone. We also learned, through friends of ours who are drug-reps, that this particular doctor and hospital as a whole, is almost famous within the drug-rep industry.

Needless to say, my wife wound up never taking the medications and refused the diagnoses. After learning of this with the borderline personality disorder, she tried going off her bipolar medications save for one anti-depressant and low-and-behold, she no longer has symptoms of bipolar and is back at her career.

We are both convinced that it was the chemicals making the problems, not the solutions. I fear that this repeats a million times over through-out society and if people weren't tricked into these diagnosis's and sold harmful snake oil for the solution, people around the globe would shed their mental illnesses.

Just my 2 cents.

--airspoon

Note: For those that don't know, a drug-rep or pharma-rep are basically lobbyists that work to bribe doctors into selling their medications. Their are a ton of these pharmaceutical drug pushers around the world and in fact, there are many in your own home town, bribing your doctors into pushing drugs onto you and your family.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Hi, CAN we have an update on the treatment please?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
where do i sign up? is it availibe in america? insurance cover it>? im ready to try anything these days

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
bump bump bump bump bump bump

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
hi. since you have the treatment with neurofeedback, how are you now?. Do you still taking meds?...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Easy.
if our brains essentially require an electric nature then a good conductor would be essential to aid or repair.

Water (real water lol)
Gold (E175 In foods)
Copper.

I got loads of # because I said many have a copper deficiency but like I said many times who am I lol

Also GABA is a neurotransmitter would help.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Wow - old thread.

I've gone from neurofeedback to exercise, diet, and minimal medication.

I would like to think im 100% stable now, have been for a few years now

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join