It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Mental Disorders (Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia)? Enter Neurofeedback!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalpr

Originally posted by unityemissions
Am I the only one who sees this as a negative?! I mean, we have things like depression and anxiety for a reason. Their are lessons to be learned from this all. This seems to be another means to create docile sheep. I personally value my anger, anxiety, and depression. It lets me know something isn't right in my world. Sometimes this means working on myself, while other times it means spending time figuring out WTF is wrong with the world.

I guess if you're too far off and it's getting in the way of living your life as you want, then this may be the thing. I realize some people truly need help and are willing to try things like this, but personally I'll stick to my "negative" emotions. There's just too much potential for growth through them.

First, what do you mean by negative? yes you are right when you said people get depression and anxiety for a reason but that is because, we have neurons in our brains that got mixed up by a trigger and led people to develop a mental disorder and maybe this treatment could help relieve the pain or discomfort this person has. But is not positive to have Major depressive disorder or anxiety generalized, unless you are referring in your post that sometimes you get anxious or sad and that is not the same. Maybe what you are experiencing is sadness or anger because that's part of our nature but not because you have been diagnosed with Major depressive disorder where is a critical condition that need medical help because is not healthy to get through that in a daily basis. So if you think that have depression and you value those episodes think again and look for a Doctor so you can have the proper information of what depression really is.

I personally disagree with your assessment. Who is anyone to say what a disorder truly is? The DSM is entirely unscientific. Psychiatrists are just guessing at what is the "norm"..which means what, exactly? Norm is average. The majority. This means psychiatry based on "disorders" being disease, is really just a cover for social cohesion and complacency. Get in line, or you'll be pilled up and stigmatized by society! No thanks. I see through that bs.

A person may be unable to learn from their depression if they accept the false belief that these symptoms are merely "disorders". If so, why not order it yourself? Who best to fix what you broke all by yourself? I personally see much value in depression, and anxiety in the long run. My case involved treating myself individually. I changed diet and perspective time and time again before getting it just right. No, I'm not perfect, but at least I'm still an individual who hasn't been lobotomized by pharmaceuticals or brainwashed into hypnosis or Neurofeedback. I think we all have the capacity to learn from ourselves; from our subconscious. Is this not in itself a type of natural neurofeedback mechanism?

[edit on 28-2-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by colloredbrothers

We have to be messed up compared to the sheeple to seek and find real truth.

If it makes me a perseverant seeker, then it is good for me. I want truth, just as we all do here.

BTW, I go dancing several times a week for aerobic exercise, and it has helped me in many ways to cope with this messed up world.

My opinion only.

S&F for the starting this exchange.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
i am bipolar/schizo affective, and i have a couple other diagnoses also such as acute anxiety

i have been through an EEG twice, and a cat scan of my brain, and i have always registered as 'normal'

no doctor has found any physical or nuerological deviations in me yet

i'm glad it worked for you though

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I skimmed through most of the replies, but i didn't see the answer for how much these sessions cost. Probably pretty expensive. huh?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Am I the only one who sees this as a negative?! I mean, we have things like depression and anxiety for a reason. Their are lessons to be learned from this all. This seems to be another means to create docile sheep. I personally value my anger, anxiety, and depression. It lets me know something isn't right in my world. Sometimes this means working on myself, while other times it means spending time figuring out WTF is wrong with the world.

I guess if you're too far off and it's getting in the way of living your life as you want, then this may be the thing. I realize some people truly need help and are willing to try things like this, but personally I'll stick to my "negative" emotions. There's just too much potential for growth through them.

First, what do you mean by negative? yes you are right when you said people get depression and anxiety for a reason but that is because, we have neurons in our brains that got mixed up by a trigger and led people to develop a mental disorder and maybe this treatment could help relieve the pain or discomfort this person has. But is not positive to have Major depressive disorder or anxiety generalized, unless you are referring in your post that sometimes you get anxious or sad and that is not the same. Maybe what you are experiencing is sadness or anger because that's part of our nature but not because you have been diagnosed with Major depressive disorder where is a critical condition that need medical help because is not healthy to get through that in a daily basis. So if you think that have depression and you value those episodes think again and look for a Doctor so you can have the proper information of what depression really is.

I personally disagree with your assessment. Who is anyone to say what a disorder truly is? The DSM is entirely unscientific. Psychiatrists are just guessing at what is the "norm"..which means what, exactly? Norm is average. The majority. This means psychiatry based on "disorders" being disease, is really just a cover for social cohesion and complacency. Get in line, or you'll be pilled up and stigmatized by society! No thanks. I see through that bs.

A person may be unable to learn from their depression if they accept the false belief that these symptoms are merely "disorders". If so, why not order it yourself? Who best to fix what you broke all by yourself? I personally see much value in depression, and anxiety in the long run. My case involved treating myself individually. I changed diet and perspective time and time again before getting it just right. No, I'm not perfect, but at least I'm still an individual who hasn't been lobotomized by pharmaceuticals or brainwashed into hypnosis or Neurofeedback. I think we all have the capacity to learn from ourselves; from our subconscious. Is this not in itself a type of natural neurofeedback mechanism?

So you have to kill a person to learn from the experience and then realize that to kill a person is a bad thing?

If you have Cancer (hope god you don't), you won't recognize you have cancer because you'll be pilled by "society" and you won't accept a doctor telling you what Cancer really is?

as Einstein, though studies figured out the equation for Energy...so the DSM through studies from doctor all around the world, has determine what a is considered a disorder and what is not.

or are you saying that DSM is controlled by NWO, the Illuminati and so on?

I'd like to see your findings about it

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

So being unable to leave your house or even get out bed due to fear or a complete lack of motivation is considered normal behavior? Even when it continues for months? If this was normal then the human species would not have survived very long. Through empirical studies we have found that there are physical anomalies in brain chemistry and structure in many people that suffer from these disorders. We have scientifically shown that these people are not the norm in regards to how the brain functions. From these patients we have also learned much about the brain and how we can change the structure of the brain in order to help with symptoms. To dismiss psychology as an actual science shows that you have never actually read any psychological journals or researched the work and debate that goes into each edition of the DSM.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

So you have to kill a person to learn from the experience and then realize that to kill a person is a bad thing?

No. Not at all what I said. Don't you think it's quite a jump from depression to homicide? I don't see the link. Sorry.

If you have Cancer (hope god you don't), you won't recognize you have cancer because you'll be pilled by "society" and you won't accept a doctor telling you what Cancer really is?

Once again, I'm clueless as to how you came up with this line of thinking as well. If I had cancer, I would probably seek alternative treatments first, but may find the need to seek conventional allopathic treatment in the end. Cancer results from a damaged P53 gene. This gene is needed to cause apotosis in irreparably damaged cells which have become immortal. I'm not sure any natural treatments can induce selective apotosis to cancerous cells, but haven't done enough research to really say either way.

as Einstein, though studies figured out the equation for Energy...so the DSM through studies from doctor all around the world, has determine what a is considered a disorder and what is not.

Not quite. The terms are subjective. You could go to 5 different psychiatrists and get 5 different diagnosis. Even if they all agreed on the same diagnosis, they may give you 5 different pills for treating this disorder and all tell you without a doubt that this is the best treatment for your particular ailment.

or are you saying that DSM is controlled by NWO, the Illuminati and so on?

I'd like to see your findings about it

Why would you bring up any of that? I don't believe the illuminati has any control on world affairs. I think it's been pretty well proven that the illuminati doesn't exist anymore, though I could be incorrect. As for the concept of an NWO, I change my views on this constantly. The term has been used by many world leaders, and I think it generally means a change in world power. Nothing deluded there. I do think that the international banking cartel may be trying to consolidate their power from manipulating world markets, and causing political changes which favor their agenda.

Check out this video:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

If you read my initial post, I stated that those who are way off may be in need of help such as neurofeeback. I never said that nobody may be ill mentally, and in need of help. I suggested that the majority of people who suffer from various supposed disorders such as: add, adhd, depression, anxiety: and the like may be able to help their selves.

Once upon a time I was agoraphobic. I was depressed for several months at a time. No pharmaceuticals got me out of that mess I had created.

To answer your question, I don't think it's normal, but normal is just the average. It's definitely more eccentric, but not necessarily outside ones ability to treat their selves over time. I actually think the exact opposite, that if this wasn't of an evolutionary advantage, it would have been wiped from our genetic database long ago. Who knows though, modern civilization has only been around for so long. Perhaps this will be wiped in several generations. I don't think so, though.

Here's an article that talks about depression and psychosis and sort of backs up my thoughts.

Creative Minds

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

so you can accept the the concept of "Cancer" results from a damaged P53 gene...and you cannot accept that the brain has cells that can be damaged too and that damage can cause specific behaviors that can be "studied", "defined" and "named" in the DSM? interesting...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by metalpr

It seems you have a closed mind, sir. Did you not bother to watch the video? We currently have very, very little understanding on how the mind works. Our ignorance, arrogance, and most importantly, greed is fueling the pseudoscience that is psychiatry. It's an inhumane practice.

Are you aware of something called neuroplasticity? Are you aware of the concept called neurological/biochemical independence? Some people have regions and even up to half their brain removed with no noticeable signs of depression, or anxiety. Besides, we all have subtle genetic variances. Boxing people and labeling them as defunct does nobody any good.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I saw Alice in Wonderland and because I saw it in a video or youtube it doesn't mean is true.

if you're basing your research on a video you saw on youtube...I think you need help
just kidding =)

All the knowledge humanity has is because studies and research, observations and test...and when DSM says you fit in a category that just means that, that group of behaviors is considered "whatever" and gives a proper name for that "conduct"...as the law says that a specific act is considered a "crime".

how can that be treated...is another thing.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I saw Alice in Wonderland and because I saw it in a video or youtube it doesn't mean is true.

if you're basing your research on a video you saw on youtube...I think you need help
just kidding =)

All the knowledge humanity has is because studies and research, observations and test...and when DSM says you fit in a category that just means that, that group of behaviors is considered "whatever" and gives a proper name for that "conduct"...as the law says that a specific act is considered a "crime".

If you're basing your knowledge on a book written by a bunch of pseudo-scientists, I think you need help
...not really kidding.

Some people learn through visual stimulation, some through actually doing it (tactile) , and others through reading books. Attacking the style of learning, or the source of distribution, is a logical fallacy.

I think if we are to continue this conversation we should do so via u2u. We've already derailed this thread a bit too much..

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
several people asked how much each session costs.

It is a fair and relevant question.

Your reluctance to disclose a figure reminds me of a shady sales tactic.

I know there is validity to this method but unfortunately there are a lot of unqualified shysters trying to capitalize on it just like many other alternative therapies.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a lot of people with mental disorder here ...

good luck everyone

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
@Faiol

I'm not sure who that was intended for, but thanks for the good luck
I definitely have issues just like everyone else..
--------

I offer this challenge to anyone who is willing to take the time and watch the above documentary I posted. It gives a pretty detailed description on the history of psychiatry step by step. I challenge anyone to tell me at what point in time psychiatry became scientific and humane.

This will be my last post here. Sorry for derailing!

As the above poster stated, good luck everyone

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hey everyone, since i'm in Western Australia, there is an awake/sleep time difference between most of you, so I apologise for not being able to respond any sooner.

The main question that I can see is how much it costs.

Well in Australian Dollars, the it costs AU$25 a session for the first three sessions, then AU$50 a session thereafter. A 15 session treatment would cost around AU$750.

With regards to feeling depressed and anxious, thats all well and good, people STILL feel 'sad' and 'anxious' but not the the point of it being debilitating that you can't function in every day life. Its like taking the edge off, and thats how the treatment is described, slowly layers upon layers of disorders, that are debilitating start to shed off.

As i said before, I get my next session tomorrow, so i'll let you all know how I go then

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

just kidding =)

If you're basing your knowledge on a book written by a bunch of pseudo-scientists, I think you need help
...not really kidding.

Some people learn through visual stimulation, some through actually doing it (tactile) , and others through reading books. Attacking the style of learning, or the source of distribution, is a logical fallacy.

I think if we are to continue this conversation we should do so via u2u. We've already derailed this thread a bit too much..

No one is attacking any style of learning...just saying that a youtube video is not a very reliable source of information.

I think that to discuss the aspect that involves a treatment of metal disorders like how are they diagnosed and what are they based on...is not to derail the thread but to contribute.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I actually watched that DVD, and its not JUST a youtube video, its a DVD that was placed onto Youtube.

I can't recall the specifics of the DVD but I do recall it being informative, whether it is beneficial or whether the information is true, I still haven't decided either, all i do know is that the medications that I've taken HAVE helped, but not enough in my opinion, thus finding this neurofeedback an awesome find.

On another note, last night I've started under doctors guidance to reduce my anti-depressants, taking mirtazapine (avanza) for depression, helps me sleep but not much on the anti-depressive side....

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This tech sounds great, and I suspect it is connected to scientology.

Ok speculation aside, I think that this is a very risky little piece of tech. The brain and CNS are incredibly delicate, intricate systems coursing with bioelectricity.

The chance for error and our relative inexperience with the brain leads me to believe that this device could feasibly cause a great amount of harm to people. My initial misgivings think it's just too new of a technology to be reliable yet and that poses risks to any and all potential recipients of this treatment.

However, the tech looks very promising, especially given the nature of the method employed to address the disorders. Inventive, and most likely, the future of medicine, given the power the brain has over the Body. If the technology is perfected theoretically you could alter ANYTHING about a person's brain. Memories, habits, language, you could even cure things like colorblindness, help with stroke recovery, etc. The applications are endless.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
This tech sounds great, and I suspect it is connected to scientology.

Ok speculation aside, I think that this is a very risky little piece of tech. The brain and CNS are incredibly delicate, intricate systems coursing with bioelectricity.

The chance for error and our relative inexperience with the brain leads me to believe that this device could feasibly cause a great amount of harm to people. My initial misgivings think it's just too new of a technology to be reliable yet and that poses risks to any and all potential recipients of this treatment.

However, the tech looks very promising, especially given the nature of the method employed to address the disorders. Inventive, and most likely, the future of medicine, given the power the brain has over the Body. If the technology is perfected theoretically you could alter ANYTHING about a person's brain. Memories, habits, language, you could even cure things like colorblindness, help with stroke recovery, etc. The applications are endless.

I asked the practioner about how invasive this is to the mind/brain/central nervous system, and to my surprise, there have been no complaints of going backwards. Apparently, its non-invasive, meaning its doesn't FORCE the brain to do anything, all it does, is pause the music depending on the frequency reaching erratic peaks, it does nothing else, the brain THEN realises that its causing the pauses, and starts to calm down, giving a smoother reading and smoother session, this is how i've come to understand it, its not telling the brain to 'be quiet' or inducing brain wave patterns that are not natural to the brain, its just pausing the music when the thinking process becomes 'erratic'.

I am not sure on the links to scientology, I haven't heard of any links to it so far, so I can't comment on that, although I do know they have their finger in the pie in all areas.. lol

Also, the program has been used to treat Alzheimers and trauma to the brain...its very promising indeed

[edit on 28/2/2010 by Im a Marty]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join