It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Moon seem really bright tonight?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Greetings everyone, The Moon is very bright tonight, like it's a very bright star. I'm from Sacramento, California. So, anyone around the area can see what I'm talking about. I know the Moon reflects light from the Sun, but this is very bright just to reflect sunlight. What are your thoughts?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I am down here in L.A. and we can't see the sky because of the storms passing through.

But it maybe, where you are at, that the sky is very clear tonight.

Maybe the rains washed the smog out of the sky.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm in Vegas and, even with passing storm clouds, I noticed that it was incredibly white. It was much, much brighter than normal. It did look much different.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I agree with you. I was outside awhile ago this evening taking out the garbage when I noticed it. I stood outside beside my house looking up at the moon for a while, it was very clear and almost no clouds visible. Yes, the moon was a lot brighter than usual, very beautiful.

I remember there was an article about the first full moon of 2010 being probably the biggest and brightest.

Article can be found here LINK

On that night I actually went outside and took some pictures of it. In my opinion it wasn't as big and bright as I was hoping for.
Tonight's moon is the brightest I've seen for a while now. I'm from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zenjewel

I'm also in vegas, can't see anything now because its raining but it did seem brighter.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Sometimes the moon is bluish, I've even seen red and orange a few times and other times it is bright white. Its all normal though and my guess is a lot of it has to do with how light passes through the atmosphere. The moonlight isn't direct, its being conveyed through the atmosphere. Also what time of the month/year and whether it is rising or setting can definitely have an effect.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Im in New England and i noticed that too. I stared at it for a couple of minutes wondering what was up with it.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I wish I could see the stars and the moon, I live in Ohio its always cloudy here and for those rare times when the sky is clear there is so much light pollution at night I can only see the brightest stars in the sky.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What a strange observation. I've had a migraine all day and did indeed think the moon was overly bright tonight.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Perhaps the moon is brighter because it's a full moon?

But seriously maybe it has to do with all the snow on the ground in the North East...reflecting the moonlight back out into the atmosphere and making the moon and the sky seem brighter than usual? IDK I'm no expert but just my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Agreed, it's most likely normal and rare! It's nice to for a walk and look at the Moon early in the morning.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
That's funny, I actually said the exact same thing to my girl when we were walking from the car. It is unusually bright.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Its because the sun either went nova or there is a mega flare that toasted the other side of the earth. We will experience the firewave in about 5 hours and then lights out.

---sorry, this thread reminds me of the outer limits episode where the moon was especially bright because of the sun blasting a mega flare at earth...--

I see no difference in tonights moon from any other clear night full moon.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It's very visible tonight, it was if I were looking through a weak telescope it was so detailed.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I might be wrong, but I think it's because in February the moon is higher in the sky and therefor the reflected light is passing through less atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
---sorry, this thread reminds me of the outer limits episode where the moon was especially bright because of the sun blasting a mega flare at earth...--

Sorry you are - the majority of members on this thread promoted the idea that the moon looks normal...did you only read the OP..?

Save the amateur flaming for a thread more deserving...

On topic:

The moon does indeed look bright here in southern cali, but nothing out of the ordinary...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky
[

Sorry you are - the majority of members on this thread promoted the idea that the moon looks normal...did you only read the OP..?

and humorousless you are, especially since I said it looked normal, but decided to add in a outer limits episode relevant to the observation.

sorry if you chose not to read my whole post, guess that 5 or so lines must have overloaded you

Might want to reconsider who is flaming who here.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

You win muse7!

It's called a SNOW MOON!

www.spaceweather.com...

It's pretty blinding here in Berkeley, oh my eyes my eyes! LOL

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
400 ISO, Film SLR, 75-150mm lens @ 150mm pointed at the moon says i about 1/80th sec shutter speed.. pretty bright, that's hand held lighting.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

That's great and all. But it does not snow in California! Weird. Anyway it's still nice to look at.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join