It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes 101

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I must say I'm learning alot once again.

Great earthquakes occur once a year, on average. The largest recorded earthquake was the Great Chilean Earthquake of May 22, 1960 which had a magnitude (MW) of 9.5.[6]

NOW THIS BLEW MY MIND:

Richter magnitudes Description Earthquake effects Frequency of occurrence
Less than 2.0 Micro Micro earthquakes, not felt. About 8,000 per day
2.0-2.9 Minor Generally not felt, but recorded. About 1,000 per day
3.0-3.9 Often felt, but rarely causes damage. 49,000 per year (est.)
4.0-4.9 Light Noticeable shaking of indoor items, rattling noises. Significant damage unlikely. 6,200 per year (est.)
5.0-5.9 Moderate Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings over small regions. At most slight damage to well-designed buildings. 800 per year
6.0-6.9 Strong Can be destructive in areas up to about 160 kilometres (100 mi) across in populated areas. 120 per year
7.0-7.9 Major Can cause serious damage over larger areas. 18 per year
8.0-8.9 Great Can cause serious damage in areas several hundred miles across. 1 per year
9.0-9.9 Devastating in areas several thousand miles across.
1 per 20 years
10.0+ Epic Never recorded; see below for equivalent seismic energy yield.
Extremely rare (Unknown)

en.wikipedia.org...

Damn they're quick! already have Chili's 8.8 0n there.

8.8 15.8 gigatons 66.6 EJ Chile earthquake, 2010

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Thank God for you 5 oClock!! I totally understand peoples paranoia and worries, but I have researched this myself and I was getting a tiny but annoyed by it and mostly annoyed how I had to keep reassuring people.

Yes, tectonic plate movements cause earthquakes. They move many times per day thank God, because if they didn't there wouldn't be any earthquakes.. or any life either.

Chile earthquake was way over due. The reason why these quakes seem so awful is #1. The media IS covering earthquakes much more than previous and 2. Quakes have hit more areas where there is human occupation.

The Protector

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by The Protector

I'll 2nd that Protector. I can't believe how fast people are to jump on the " oh my god, increased activity, somethings up with the planet" wagon.

Forget the media, take a step back and look up the figures.

earthquake activity at the moment is normal!!

g

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Protector

Yes, tectonic plate movements cause earthquakes. They move many times per day thank God, because if they didn't there wouldn't be any earthquakes.. or any life either.

Chile earthquake was way over due. The reason why these quakes seem so awful is #1. The media IS covering earthquakes much more than previous and 2. Quakes have hit more areas where there is human occupation.

The Protector

Your welcome. Don't get me wrong I really love my Doom & Gloom, but after some very basic research the numbers don't lie.
I certainly feel for anyone who has to go through this, I myself have lived through small earthquakes, hurricanes, typhoons, blizzards and the Mt Pinatubo volcano while at Subic Bay. Still here!

Yeah! the media is freakin milking this for all the ratings they can get! and still during all of this they still squeezed in Tiger, and KILLER whale but no mention of JOE STACK.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
5 oClock, can you please link me to the info by the way?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Protector
5 oClock, can you please link me to the info by the way?

Yeah man, it's on the 1st post. I dug real deep on freakin Wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My own arguments are not solely based on earthquakes or their numbers.
This thread however is not about me.
I am only offering my opinion.
People on this thread saying that there is nothing wrong with the earth have me in stitches.
It is completely hysterical.
Anyone interested in looking at all of the many ideas which are being unfairly treated on this site is welcome to look at the ideas I have presented on the thread Apocalyptic Weather.

And I have to say that some of the main themes of what is in that thread is about freedom of expression as well as opinion.
And a LACK of mockery.

You might find that you get fined 5 for fighting though

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by The Protector

I'll 2nd that Protector. I can't believe how fast people are to jump on the " oh my god, increased activity, somethings up with the planet" wagon.

Forget the media, take a step back and look up the figures.

earthquake activity at the moment is normal!!

g

It's about more than that. Yes the media is hyping this up, but it is not normal. Pretending it is normal is childish and foolish.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
While we all know by now earthquakes are nothing out of the ordinary and such. I do find it interesting that we have seen one of the worlds most deadliest quakes and one of the largest quakes ever recorded in the span of 2 months.

Take a look at this

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Patagonia]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The first quake hit Haiti, it's packed as hell, that's why it was most destructive. The one in Chile was huge, but because of where it hit, it was not as deadly as the Haitian one. It's no fun that these things have killed people, it's terrible, but it's more about placement with the first one(Haiti) and the second one was probably a couple decades over due.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patagonia
While we all know by now earthquakes are nothing out of the ordinary and such. I do find it interesting that we have seen one of the worlds most deadliest quakes and one of the largest quakes ever recorded in the span of 2 months.

Take a look at this

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Patagonia]

That , is a VERY interesting perspective you have there.
Interesting information indeed.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
More earthquake stats , note (several million EQ's each year)

Descriptor Magnitude Annual average

Great 8 or higher 11
Major 7–7.9 172
Strong 6–6.9 1342
Moderate 5–5.9 1,3192
Light 4–4.9 c. 13,000
Minor 3–3.9 c. 130,000
Very minor 2–2.9 c. 1,300,000

1. Based on observations since 1900. 2. Based on observations since 1990. NOTE: The NEIC estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes.
Source: National Earthquake Information Center, U.S. Geological Survey.

www.infoplease.com...

Now this is scary interesting:

I found these shocking facts on the Internet that prove that a human isn’t almighty yet. According to the overall statistics, about 60% of people were killed in nature disasters. Twenty percent of which died due to storms. The Centre for Research on Epidemiology stated that more than 790,000 people were killed by 3,852 disasters.
ecowe.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
People on this thread saying that there is nothing wrong with the earth have me in stitches.
Anyone interested in looking at all of the many ideas which are being unfairly treated on this site is welcome to look at the ideas I have presented on the thread Apocalyptic Weather.

And I have to say that some of the main themes of what is in that thread is about freedom of expression as well as opinion.
And a LACK of mockery.

Wait a minute, Let me see if I have this right. So what your saying is that it's hysterical that people on this post are saying that what is occurring right now with all these EQ's is normal, when you have your IDEAS that you have presented in another thread is the way we all need lean toward???
Did I get that right?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by 5 oClock]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock

Originally posted by dragonsmusic

And a LACK of mockery.

Wait a minute, Let me see if I have this right. So what your saying is that it's hysterical that people on this post are saying that what is occurring right now with all these EQ's is normal, when you have your IDEAS that you have presented in another thread is the way we all need lean toward???
Did I get that right?

No, what I'm saying is that it's hysterical to assume that nothing is wrong. The poster above caught it pretty well.
"We have seen one of the world's most deadliest quakes and one of the largest quakes ever recorded within a span of two months"

And I didn't say that YOU were wrong. I was quite clearly talking about some of the tones in some of the comments on the thread. It wasn't about you.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
TOP 10 WORLD EQ's

The Ten Largest1 Earthquakes Since 1900

Location Date Magnitude

1.Chile May 22, 1960 9.5
2.Prince William Sound, Alaska March 28, 19643 9.2
3.Andreanof Islands, Aleutian Islands March 9, 1957 9.1
4.Kamchatka Nov. 4, 1952 9.0
5.Off western coast of Sumatra, Indonesia Dec. 26, 2004 9.0
6.Off the coast of Ecuador Jan. 31, 1906 8.8
7.Rat Islands, Aleutian Islands Feb. 4, 1965 8.7
8.Northern Sumatra, Indonesia March 28, 2005 8.7
9.India-China border Aug. 15, 1950 8.6
10.Kamchatka Feb. 3, 1923 8.5

www.infoplease.com...

TOP 10 U.S. EQ's

Rank Magnitude Date Location
1. 9.2 March 28, 1964 Prince William Sound, Alaska1
2. 8.8 March 9, 1957 Andreanof Islands, Alaska
3. 8.7 Feb. 4, 1965 Rat Islands, Alaska
4. 8.3 Nov. 10, 1938 East of Shumagin Islands, Alaska
8.3 July 10, 1958 Lituya Bay, Alaska
6. 8.2 Sept. 10, 1899 Yakutat Bay, Alaska
8.2 Sept. 4, 1899 Near Cape Yakataga, Alaska
8. 8.0 May 7, 1986 Andreanof Islands, Alaska
9. 7.9 Feb. 7, 1812 New Madrid, Missouri
7.9 Jan. 9, 1857 Fort Tejon, California

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
according to richard nolle who runs a prophetic astrology site, major quakes are more likely during a "supermoon" period. if i understand him correctly.

www.astropro.com... has all the details.

there are 5 supermoons to occurr this year and we have had 2. also the window is 3 days either side of the exact aspect (28th feb). so if there's no more in the next few days, the next supermoons are aug 10, september? and october?.

it will be interesting to see how many large quakes (8+ to 9+)have occurred by the end of the year. and if records are broken.

top topics

join