It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new continent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
When will the earth spew out another brandnew continent? Do any of you believe it is possible for the earth to do such a thing really quick? Would it also bring forth a new race of human beings some day? Or would human beings that already exist seize the new continent with claims of some sort, and start building upon it? What would be a good name for a new continent?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

I'd name it Ikema, and yes everyone would want to settle there!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
There are psychics that have proclaimed Atlantis would rise off the coast of America's East coast around 2012 ish.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Science tells us that it would take thousands, if not many million years for something to form or move or something of that sort.. I don't believe something like that would pop up suddenly... Something like a small island can, but not a large continent.

People don't just appear suddenly.. People would have to move there.

I refuse to think this was a serious topic and would rather think that this topic was created to hopefully end the earthquake crap.

The Protector

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

This is about as close as you'll get:

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Protector

Or evolved.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If takes much longer for humans to form through evolution than it does for a continent to possibly rise from the earth... People from other continents would move there so very much faster.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Reminds me of a joke I made at work....

If I was god, Everyone would wake up (on the ground if in the air and so forth) and find the earth is bigger, a couple of new continents have appeared, The moon is earthlike and has plant life and I would spell out "believe now" in the stars.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Antiqua
Hey, It starts and ends with an A.
As far as land masses rising. I think they can sink but rising would be something completely diferent. Far less chance of that. ImO

[edit on 27-2-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
www.rochester.edu...

African Desert Rift Confirmed as New Ocean in the Making

2009-11-02

Geologists Show that Seafloor Dynamics Are at Work in Splitting African Continent

In 2005, a gigantic, 35-mile-long rift broke open the desert ground in Ethiopia. At the time, some geologists believed the rift was the beginning of a new ocean as two parts of the African continent pulled apart, but the claim was controversial.

Now, scientists from several countries have confirmed that the volcanic processes at work beneath the Ethiopian rift are nearly identical to those at the bottom of the world's oceans, and the rift is indeed likely the beginning of a new sea.

The new study, published in the latest issue of Geophysical Research Letters, suggests that the highly active volcanic boundaries along the edges of tectonic ocean plates may suddenly break apart in large sections, instead of little by little as has been predominantly believed. In addition, such sudden large-scale events on land pose a much more serious hazard to populations living near the rift than would several smaller events, says Cindy Ebinger, professor of earth and environmental sciences at the University of Rochester and co-author of the study.

www.livescience.com...

The Red Sea Parts Again By Sara Goudarzi, LiveScience Staff Writer

The Red Sea is parting again, but this time Moses doesn’t have a hand in it.

Satellite images show that the Arabian tectonic plate and the African plate are moving away from each other, stretching the Earth's crust and widening the southern end of the Red Sea, scientists reported in this week's issue of journal Nature.

Last September, a series of earthquakes started splitting the planet's surface along a 37-mile section of the East African Rift in Afar, Ethiopia.

Using the images gathered by the European Space Agency's Envisat radar satellite, researchers looked at satellite data before and after these activities.

Over a period of three weeks, the crust on the sides of the rift moved apart by 26 feet and magma—enough to fill a football stadium more than 2,000 times—was injected along a vertical crack, forming a new crust.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by JBA2848]

[edit on 27-2-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tormentations
When will the earth spew out another brandnew continent? Do any of you believe it is possible for the earth to do such a thing really quick? Would it also bring forth a new race of human beings some day? Or would human beings that already exist seize the new continent with claims of some sort, and start building upon it? What would be a good name for a new continent?

I don't think the earth would spew out a new continent. I think that it would be slooooooow and may be happening right now. But, if it did happen very quickly for some reason I can't think of, it wouldn't be livable for some time. Vegetation would have to have time to seed and grow, etc. If it happened right now, I think it's very safe to say that current humans would populate it.

Hmmm.... the name? How about Atlantis - just to make everyone happy. The people who believe in it will be happy because it finally appeared and the people who don't believe in it will be happy because the people who do believe in it will shut up about it.
Everybody's happy!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

yes

R'lyeh will rise and the great Cthulu will reign once again as he did long ago when the earth first yawned into existence.

The cult is noted for chanting its horrid phrase or ritual: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", which translates as "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."[13] This is often shortened to "Cthulhu fhtagn", which might possibly mean "Cthulhu waits", "Cthulhu dreams",[14] or "Cthulhu waits dreaming." -source wikipedia

-subfab

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
As someone mentioned above, there is a new continent being cleaved from the east coast of Africa at the great rift valley.

But, there is another continent that will soon be habitable, it is Antarctica. Within a hundred years there will be plenty of fertile land, rivers, an explosion of research facilities, thus people and basic industries such as food production. They will find oil, and there will be some serious international discussion about what to do with it.

I like to think of America as one giant social experiment; a few hundred years back Europeans discovered a new land of plenty in which to plant they modern ideas about social justice, freedom and democracy. It was a great culmination of minds and effort that lead to a prosperity of culture and technology which we now all enjoy. But the honeymoon is definitely over and perhaps it is time for a fresh start, a fresh patch of land on which to plant and nurture a new way of living in greater congruity with our modern perspective.

...or perhaps as Agent Smith warns, we will just spread the virus.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by The Protector

Or evolved.

Or bypassed millions of years of evolution by bio-engineering of the Anunnaki.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by subfab

yes

R'lyeh will rise and the great Cthulu will reign once again as he did long ago when the earth first yawned into existence.

The cult is noted for chanting its horrid phrase or ritual: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", which translates as "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."[13] This is often shortened to "Cthulhu fhtagn", which might possibly mean "Cthulhu waits", "Cthulhu dreams",[14] or "Cthulhu waits dreaming." -source wikipedia

-subfab

Ia! Ia! He will spring forth with great Shub-Niggurath on his tail, the black goat of a thousand young, and R'lyeh will be populated once more. All will be dominated by the empire of the Old Ones! They will not care for us beyond slave labor, sustenance, and possibly breeding partners for permitting their compatriots like Yog-Sothoth (the key and the gate) over to this three-dimensional manifold; they sound evil, but they aren't. they simply don't care about us. We will call it the R'lyehean empire for as long as we survive because there will be no other way we can accept it!

Ia! Ia! C'thulhu Fhtagn!

top topics

join