It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bouy off the coast of Japan indicates Big Wave!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It appears that Japan may get hit the hardest. The Bouy of the coast of Japan is indicating a 15 - 20 foot wave potentially!

Bouy off coast of Japan

I will be interested to see what is going on in Japan in the next few hours!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That chart is in metres.....

Ships in the area are only reporting 11ft seas

[edit on 27/2/2010 by MissMegs]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

According to the Hawaii feed Japan will probably just issue a "be careful" alert rather than a major evacuation

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissMegs
That chart is in metres.....

Sorry, so the wave will be 3 times higher???

That does not look good, how did the wave get there so quickly???

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So what does that mean 40 some odd feet? lol I'm from America and we are the only ones who use feet vs. meters...I think it must be a conspiracy to get us confused

[edit on 27-2-2010 by ExPostFacto]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Good find

Let's hope the wave doesn't get any bigger before it hits mainland Japan, I'll be watching this one, thanks for bringing it to the board

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
So what does that mean 40 some odd feet?

I am thinking its showing the min and max height, but I am no Oceanographer! Maybe one our experts can explain the chart!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

1 foot = 0.3048 meters

so about one third of that

If it was ever that big - looking at Hawaii its a big tide more than something that looks like something out of Hollywood

But you cant account for a rogue wave effect

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Oh brother...........the armchair ATS oceanographers are out in droves right now. Relax................Japan will be fine...........Hawaii will be fine........Chile will recover. This hysteria is getting comical.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Yes 1 foot equals 0.3048 meters, which means you divide the number to get the answer in feet. 1 meter equals 3.28 feet!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Amen Brother

If anyone would just watch some CNN/BBC and see the feeds they might get some clue

Its chicken little time here again - how long till HAARP is called up

But no ATS has some of the greatest scientific minds never to pass a degree but eminently qualified to comment - kind of like being under qualified to work for fox

(apologies to Phage and Weedwhacker whos comments I admire greatly)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Seems like there are a lot of pot smoking twenty somethings on ATS.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

. . . Its chicken little time here again - how long till HAARP is called up . .

I would not be so quick to dismiss, compare the Hawaii Bouy to the one off the coast of Japan.

Hawaiii Bouy

Coast of Japan Bouy

There apears to be something going on, maybe its the configuration of the Ocean bottom or the direction of the path of the wave, but something doesn't look right! IMHO

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The DART buoys do not record wave heights, they record changes in water pressure.

The data are recorded in pounds per square inch absolute (PSIA), but are displayed in meters of water after applying a constant 670.0 mm of water/PSIA conversion factor.

I don't know what caused the spike but tt is extremely unlikely, due to the timing, that the recorded event had anything to do with the tsunami generated by the earthquake in Chile.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

I've seen data anomaly's like this before from weather buoys, but it seems kind of strange that they would be reporting 45 meter waves after the earthquake?

From what I have read tsunamis don't build much when traveling through deep ocean. When they reach shallower water their large volume amplifies the wave height as there is no room to go but up in a shallower basin. Those buoys are in a part of the ocean several miles deep.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Bordon81]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
CNN has been saying Japan has issued a major tsunami warning and are expecting 3 metre waves.

3 metres can be very devastating. Let's hope this will come and go like all other tsunami warnings today.

Also, it is not from the Chile earthquake.

Japan only registered a 27cm wave from the Chile earthquake.

This is from something else - i think the latest 6.9 earthquake generated off the Japan coast

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
"Let's hope this will come and go like all other tsunami warnings today."

When in history has this sentence been able to be said? hahaha

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Flooding reported in Japan from a 1.2 metre tsunami.

Just reported on CNN

top topics

join