It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Conspiracy* Talk Of USGS Witholding Info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I dont have a link but in my travels around the Internet there is this prominent story going around that USGS is witholding info...things are much worse all around the world!!

Any of you believe this??????

Furthermore that the Yellowstone Caldera is about to BLOW!!!!!!! I'm scared!
Do you think this is true?

I've tried my own research but i'm not clear on any of it. I didnt sleep all night and i'm freaked out.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In your travels around the internet?
I'm assuming weeklyworldnews?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

It isn't possible for the USGS to hide anything because there are too many independent reporting systems. If you think they're hiding someting, just compare their data with that of other systems.

Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree here.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Welcome to the USGS - U.S. Geological Survey
Federal source for science about the Earth, its natural and living resources, natural hazards, and the environment.

that is from google, I would assume that since it is a federal source that the U.S. Government could impose a hold on certain information for the safety of the nation or it's interests. however I think if the info that is supposedly being wetheld is important enough it would be leaked by someone.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It would be helpful if you could point us towards exactly what you are talking about.

Who is saying the USGS is witholding info?

Where are you getting different/better info?

Who says yellowstone is about to blow?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I was referring to other conspiracy websites. Anyhow, i am not saying this is happening for real....I am just throwing it out there for review.

Weekly World News?
close maybe.

So much fun, so little time, huh?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Ok, i will tell you. God Like Productions.

I know, but its worth taking a look at.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
There was an earthquake near me covered by the local news. It was Thursday at 5:15pm ET.

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=7298529

Even by 11:00pm ET that night, the USGS "real time" page showed nothing. It wasn't until the next morning when I checked, that it finally showed the quake. I can't say for certain when it was added, but I was very surprised it did not show up for so many hours.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

It did make me wonder.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If TPTB deem it appropriate to cover up UFOs and the like due to a perceived public panic, then it makes PERFECT SENSE that they would cover up a massive spike in earthquakes.

Imagine the panic we would all be in if things really were MUCH worse than we currently know they are.

Imagine the freak out that will proceed Yellowstone blowing?

It IS something to think about, but hopefully its not possible...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by zlastonetoknow

You do know you can report a tremor right?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Awesome, thanks for wasting my time.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yes, I know I could have reported it, but I did not feel it. I just saw the report of it on the local news.

I have made the assumption that the USGS system is partially automated, as I have seen other earthquakes show up within minutes of the reported strike time. Those typically are listed as "not having been reviewed by a seismologist." Later they are reviewed and and listed as such.

Maybe only "active" zones are automated, as I live in a very stable region.

Perhaps somebody with knowledge of the inner working of the USGS can offer an explanation?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
WEll it could have happened today!

Have a look at the different readings for Yellowstone today here:

Yellowstone Thread

Just replied that seemed strange and differant data and saw this in recent.

On the issue I think most of the data discrepencies are due to very localised events, and also initial computer generated un localised for depth to.

Must be said though seems to be more than you should expect, some seem a bit strange indeed.

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The answer to your question is very simple. The USGS only automaticaly posts quakes greater than 2.5, which are then reviewed by a seismologist since the computer generated ones are usually wrong to some degree.

Anything less than that is only listed after it is reviewed by a human, which happens mon-fri during normal business hours. There are literally hundreds, often over a thousand quakes a day in this range around the world, so you could easily understand why it might take awhile before it is posted.

(Edited to add clarification on whom I am addressing.) To the OP:

Do I think that the world governments might try to hold back some info if they thought there was a planet killer erruption coming to avoid mass panic? Perhaps....but it would be very hard to do. Do I think that the USGS is currently keeping info intentionally from the public? No...there are many of us on this board following quakes daily. Not just by looking at the USGS lists, but by monitoring live-feed seismographs of various regions. It would be impossible to keep this from the public unless there was a world-wide black-out of all monitoring systems, and that would be fairly obvious that something was up. Not to mention eye-witness reports on the ground.

Please try not to spread fear-mongering about Yellowstone. It is a beautiful work of nature that needs close monitoring and a whole lotta respect, but to say it's going to blow at any minute....well, there is simply no indication of that.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you for the clarification.

I am not attempting to spread fear nor am I of the opinion Yellowstone will blow at any minute. Although, when the recent uplifting trend began, I was more concerned.

I was simply pointing out a particular case where an earthquake happened and it did not show up on the USGS site for a period of hours.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Hey, sorry about that, I should have made it clearer that I was talking to the OP, not to you. (I am going to go back and edit my post to make it clear)

I think you asked a really good question, and it was the same one I asked last year after I started watching Yellowstone. Most people don't realize how the USGS posts. Why would they? Because of that, it is easy to come to the conclusion that is is being withheld!

This is one of the great things about ATS (IMO). It is a huge forum that you can come to and ask these out of the way questions, and there's a good chance someone here either knows, or will find out for you. Gotta love it!

[edit on 1-3-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by hippomchippo

I was referring to other conspiracy websites. Anyhow, i am not saying this is happening for real....I am just throwing it out there for review.

Weekly World News?
close maybe.

So much fun, so little time, huh?

As a former government agent I know when we moved threw the world, we did not bark, or growl. We mooood. Think of a herd of bovines who follow the top cow. So unbecoming but oh so true. Very few organizations in the history of the human race have been paradoxily so concerned about not having a dictatorship, and more then willing to incorporate ellements of it. How in the context of what the human race can do, do I forgive certain actions? Being idealistic would be nice, but I'm not that stupid. I would prefer an American dictatorship way above those forced on us from other nations. And thats just the way it is.

new topics

top topics

join