It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Rep. implies blacks were better off as slaves’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Originally posted by johnny2127
reply to post by whaaa

Good job twisting and distorting his words. Nowhere in there did he say African Americans were better off as slaves. Nowhere. He was talking purely in terms of the numbers of people that have been killed in slavery and in terms of babies aborted, since he view aborting as murder. Some of you guys want to hate Republicans so bad you allow yourself to view things like this in an intellectually dishonest way. If you want to disagree with his views on abortion, great. But don't start throwing words in his mouth.

Actually you have put the words in his mouth. He clearly states that they had it better before. He does not specify deaths, murder, or infant mortality rates anywhere in his comparison. He states for all to see that he believes half of all black babies being aborted is worse than all black people being slaves.

If I am wrong, please show me where he says the things you claim he said.

Notice how the OP and the article uses the word 'implies'? That means he didn't say what you are talking about.

And yet today half of all black children are aborted. Half of all black children are aborted. Far more black children, far more of the African-American community, is being devastated by the policies of today than were being devastated by the policies of slavery."

That is talking specifically about the numbers of aborted African American children. Notice also that when he talks about looking back at the slavery policies and how bad they were he says:

"And now we look back on it and we say, 'Well how blind were they, what was the matter with them.'

Ya notice how that is him talking poorly about slavery? He's saying that
the fat so many Afircan American babies are being aborted that the impact of that is far more devastating. That can be his opinion if he view abortion as murder. Try some intellectual honesty on for size, may feel uncomfortable, but it will treat you better in the long run.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Ya notice how that is him talking poorly about slavery? He's saying that
the fat so many Afircan American babies are being aborted that the impact of that is far more devastating. That can be his opinion if he view abortion as murder. Try some intellectual honesty on for size, may feel uncomfortable, but it will treat you better in the long run.

Intellectual honesty? Did you even read your own post? Not one quote you mined even remotely backed up your premise. You proved my point. His actual words state that abortion is bad but slavery was worse. That is what he says. Please show me where he says he is talking about the infant mortality rate of slaves. You are putting words in his mouth and then accusing people who actually read his words of doing the same.

Your quotes only reinforce what I said. In order to prove you point you are going to have to show me at least one quote that backs up what you are claiming he said.

I can read. He says abortion is bad. He says slavery was bad. He says abortion is worse than slavery. That is all he actually says. There is only one conclusion to glean from these words. Slavery was not as bad as abortion is. Did he say babies had it better during slavery? Did he say at least more black babies were born during slavery? These things do not even make any sense.

Just show me where he says what you claim he says. Please, no more quotes that only support what I said to begin with.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Some of you guys want to hate Republicans so bad you allow yourself to view things like this in an intellectually dishonest way. If you want to disagree with his views on abortion, great. But don't start throwing words in his mouth.

OK, where in the world did you get the idea this was about Republicans? We are discussing this dude's words, not an ideological group that he claims to represent. We would be having this same discussion whether this guy was a registered Demoncrat, Independent, or Michael Jackson.

Making this a "partisan" issue.

EDIT: Typo

[edit on 27-2-2010 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Apparently he has a romanticized view of slavery. Which totally ignores the devastation and death of communities in Africa where the slaves were abducted and forced into ships. Where scores more died in cramp quarters while crossing the ocean.

Whether or not he likes abortion, claiming that slavery caused less death is simply appalling. I suspect that he is either trying to get attention or attended a terrible school system growing up.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

Some of you guys want to hate Republicans so bad you allow yourself to view things like this in an intellectually dishonest way. If you want to disagree with his views on abortion, great. But don't start throwing words in his mouth.

OK, where in the world did you get the idea this was about Republicans? We are discussing this dude's words, not an ideological group that he claims to represent. We would be having this same discussion whether this guy was a registered Demoncrat, Independent, or Michael Jackson.

Making this a "partisan" issue.

EDIT: Typo

[edit on 27-2-2010 by LostNemesis]

May not be an issue about Republicans to you, but the way the OP, author of the article and some responding here are talking, it specifically is a twisting of words to smear Republicans. Same way some will twist what a liberal says to smear them. Either way its ridiculous. This guy was specifically saying that to him the yearly abortion of millions of African American babies compounded yearly is more devastating than slavery was. If you disagree, great. But don't try to make this guys words say that slavery was great and better than today. Abortion is a choice, slavery wasn't. But he is viewing these abortions as murdered lives, which is the utmost of crimes in his viewpoint

top topics

<< 1   >>

join