It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America - hegemon, hyperpower, or faded superpower?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, America has been considered the only superpower left, though recently it can be argued perhaps China is now also one.

What would you call America as of 2010 in terms of "power"?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I see the USA as a former top dog...a retiring pro wrestler whom is now noticing the damage it did to itself when it got in the epic battles, from the cold war, to this euphoric feeling that came after where we thought we were the damned world police.

I think now its time for America to either become humble and simply admit we can no longer help the world beyond diplomatically and pull back, end the major war machine and consolidate it to a simple high tech defensive military stationed at home..

If we continue to wrestle in the world arena, we will flounder and die...so, the only options are to humble ourselves or collapse...thats it.

I do hope that we are at a age where once we leave everyone to fend for themselves, no new conquering giants come over Europe...think Germany is tame now, Russia may try to take back some of its areas, and dont know what China will do, but eventually we got to simply state its not our problem anymore.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

What "epic battles"?

You mean the rapage of various third world countries?

Like...

Korea
Vietnam
Laos
Cambodia
Dominican Republic
Granada
Iraq
Haiti
Panama
Afghanistan

America hasn't fought any worthy opponents since Japan, and couldn't fight that one honourably.

No offence... but seriously... truth.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I think the United States is still the lone superpower, but will only remain so for another 20 years or so.

The US is the only country that can currently project force at will on a global scale. China cannot do this, nor Russia nor even the combined military of the entire European Union. In time however, the US will be joined by China and the European Union (if they can ever get their act together) as superpowers. I don't think Russia is going to get back into the mix on the level the Soviet Union ever did, but they will remain a major regional power.

I don't think the United States will fall like Rome, or anything like that. Instead, as the newer players come up, the US will quietly relax, let go of overseas bases and work to keep the standard of living in the US high. It will be much like the United Kingdom. Great Britain was the largest empire the world has ever seen, but we did not fall into a dark age when GB gave up the ghost of imperialism. Such will be the case with the US.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I think USA is still the only superpower. But we are beginning to see the rise of the world.

China is rising, because of American and EU trade.
EU is rising, because their ability to unite in harmony.
Russia is rising, because their natural resources and smart investments.
Brazil is rising, because their natural resources and smart investments.
India is rising, because their global trading network.
Japan is not rising, Japan is basically sitting still in this developing world.

The USA is still the only superpower but we are now beginning to see countries gaining world power, mostly from other undeveloped/developing nations.

I think the USA has been involved in too many affairs and are now beginning to feal their 'old age' catching up with them. The USA is not necessarily old but we would do a better job helping others, solving diplomatic tension, and making the world more stable through diplomacy.
The only problem with this is that the Republicans running for president and Congress in 2012 and 2010 respectively are all fighting for American exceptionalism and want more military involvement around the world. They believe we have the right to do as we please around the world with no respect for any nations independence that disagrees with us.

top topics

join