It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1600 pound Monstrous Human Eating Grizzle Bear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I figured this would be a good place to show you all this outrageously huge grizzly bear that was shot by a deer hunter after it began to charge him.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12′ 6″ high at the shoulder, 14′ to the top of his head. It’s the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Based on the contents of the bear’s stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff (picture is here if you have the stomach). The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker’s 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol were the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear’s dead body) it only wounded the bear – and probably angered it. The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear’s own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

sideways8.wordpress.com...

thedeadhand.com...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by sparrowstail]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Not sure if this is the same bear or not...

www.breakthechain.org...

I find it very sad that, 100's and 1000's die everyday, and because of our incroachment into wild habitats..we end up with these stories in the MSM.
Making the poor bears look evil or bad...its just not the case!

To be honest more doctors killed ppl..and other ppls dumb decisions get them killed, but this person was not at fault?

I don't like ppl to die, but being in an area such as this, you better know what to expect, and be knowledgable about your surroundings, instead of pointing fingers at a wild animal.

As far as I'm concerned they were both hunting..the bear and the person, so in short, bears don't carry guns, but I wish at times they did.

ETA as far as the contents of the stomach...I would like to know if there was human trash and/or food , besides the human in there.
But I doubt we will hear about that.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I agree completely.

The point of my post is not to demonize the bear, but rather to demonstrate the incredible awesome animals that are out in the wilds.

In the defense of the hunter who downed the bear, he was protecting himself from a charging grizzly bear. It was either kill or be killed.

This story should reinforce the respect we should have for these and other incredible powerful animals.

As a side note, yesterday while walking my dogs behind my house through hay fields we encountered a coyote. Usually they would run when they see humans and dogs. This one just watched us from a short distance away. I turned on my heals and began walking the other way to distract my dogs before they saw him. (They would have run up to him expecting to play)

Here where I live the coyotes are becoming much more bold and are attacking dogs and their owners. They also killed a female hiker in Nova Scotia. These animals are becoming accustomed to our presence and see us as nothing more than an opportunity. We have to outsmart them and respect them by taking the necessary precautions when tripping through their stomping grounds. Not witch hunt them.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Nice find! That is one big bear for sure

The scientist should find out what made it grow so big.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
As is typical of the internet, the pictures are real but the story is inaccurate. You might want to check out snopes.com or about.com to get the real story.

The bear was not a world record and was not as large as stated in the OP

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Here where I live the coyotes are becoming much more bold and are attacking dogs and their owners. They also killed a female hiker in Nova Scotia. These animals are becoming accustomed to our presence and see us as nothing more than an opportunity. We have to outsmart them and respect them by taking the necessary precautions when tripping through their stomping grounds. Not witch hunt them.

Coyotes killing someone? I'm not saying that is unlikely, but wow I always had this image of them being very timid (prarie coyotes are pretty wiley however shy).

As for the bear, it is absolutely incredible. A beautiful wonder of nature, too bad it had to be killed, but again such was the workers to defend himself. I know I wouldn't want to be hiking and surprise a bear that big ever.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
DANG IT!

I was expecting to see a "1600 pound Monstrous Human, Eating a Grizzly Bear".

Oh well. lol

It is well-known that grizzly bears are capable of eating man, and as others have said, the more we encroach on their territory, the more of these seemingly gigantic animals we'll see.

Should be expected really.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lagnar
DANG IT!

I was expecting the same thing!

I wanted to see some giant freak hillbillly chowin down on some poor grizzley.

Oh, well, cool thread anyway.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

DANG IT!

This thread is good but i have to admit that i was also a bit disappointed for the exact same reason

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

DANG IT!

LOL yeah I was like what man weighing 1600 pounds could even walk much less kill and eat a grizzly.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I figured the picture was bunk by the description. Bears rarely "charge" to kill and eat someone. It is not like the hollywood movies where they roar and rear. It can actually be a quiet experience. You don't see lions going into theatrics before taking down an antelope.

And a lot of hunters use that excuse in order to take down an animal.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimur

Here is a link to the coyote attack.

www.cbc.ca...

Attacks are rare but are on the increase. I've heard of about 4 or 5 in the last year within the region of eastern Canada where dog walkers have been confronted when walking on trails or abandoned rail beds.

The coyote's here are bigger than average; they are crossed with timber wolves. The ones that attacked the hiker were a conservative 30 pounds. They suspected that the lone female hiker was listening to her i-pod and not really paying attention when jumped by two coyotes. The way I see it a healthy mature doe (female deer) would probably have had more strength and fight than a 115 pound human female.

So in my mind it doesn't seem that far of a stretch that the coyotes would attack.

My wife and I are now wondering about the legalities of carrying a .22 rifle year round while we walk our dogs up back. Not to shoot to kill but rather shoot to scare off.

To all other respondents, sorry about not getting the facts straight with this story. Still is one huge mammoth of a bear. Its too bad he had to be killed in the end, I'd rather know that he was prospering in the wild.

new topics

top topics

join