It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colic in Babies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
My Two week old granddaughter is suffering very badly with colic,the poor little mite is only getting an hour or two sleep a night which obviously is not good for her.
Is colic inherited? because i had the same problem with my son, i was lucky if i got anymore then a couple of hours sleep a day ,this went on for over a year .
Is there anyone who has had this problem ,and any remedies out there .I know A T S spans the continents ,so please any thoughts ................

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Has she recieved her mothers milk (colostrum) since the day she was born?

Very important in nutrients and antibodies.

Good luck to you!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

Yes, colic can be "inherited". While it's not really a genetic thing, if one of the parents was a colicky baby, there is a good chance that the baby will be too.

One thing to do to alleviate the problem is to hold the baby differently. The best way is to hold the baby on your forearm, like a football, with his head in your hand and his stomach on your forearm. This puts pressure on the baby's stomach, and calms them down. (My ten month old loved it when he was a newborn!)

I don't know where you're at, but here in Germany, they have these little things, they're called "sepchen", that you put into a baby's butt when they're having some sort of pain. Normally, it makes it go away for a little bit. I'm sure that they have something similar wherever you're at.

There are other things that we did when our baby had colic. I don't remember what they are though! I'll ask my wife when she wakes up from her nap and get back to you!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

My eldest suffered terrible colic for a long time so I am sympathetic to your plight. She was breast fed for quite some time then bottle fed.

The only thing that seemed to sooth her was to stick her in the car and take her for a drive, but unfortunately as soon as we'd get out of the card she'd start yowling again.

So it was either be up all night with wailing or be up all night driving, the ex wife was very happy as she didn't drive at the time.

An old wives remedy which was given was to take a piece of coke out of the ashes of a fire and put it in the babies drink. There were quite a few ladies that swore by it but we just couldn't bring ourselves to try it.

The good news is, that the baby grows out of it, just depends when.

top topics

join