It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 47
<< 44  45  46   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dtp22

If you are intereseted in quakes and the moon, try syzygyjob.com Jim Burkland had been predicting eqs for a long time and has a good record at it. Chile happen at the closet approach of the moon to earth this year. It caused the largest tide of the year - the perigian spring tide. Interesting

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit

My greatest concern is the area from Oregon to BC, - overdue for a large quake, - lack of education, - dense housing in low lying areas, - historically prone to tsunami's - plus millions of unprepared Americans/Canadians.

Americans are never prepared. Even with a hurricane on the way, people are unable to stockpile enough water to last an hour after the wind dies down enough for rescue trucks to roll in. Sorry to be so skeptical, but many Americans have no idea about to survive without McDonalds, cars, and the local super Wal-Mart.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't know if my compatriots here have this info. Anyway here we go:

After a short conversation with a mechanical engineer, he told me that the University of Chile, install here in Santiago, 2 "speedometers" (i don't know if that is the right name of the equipment used), to measure the forces of earthquakes over the capital.

The measures, for the first time in the chilean history of earthquakes, evidence 2 components of forces working at the same time: vertical and horizontal forces with the same power, 8.8 in Richter scale.

Those types of movements, unusual for an earthquake until this new, cause a rare sensation like to ride a cow: up, down, forward and back. Literally.

Natural? Man made? How knows, for the science, the facts are over the table.

M.

PD: I'm sorry for my poor english

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Chile Earthquake Moved Entire City 10 Feet to the West

The magnitude 8.8 quake that struck near Maule, Chile, Feb. 27 moved the entire city of Concepcion 10 feet to the west.

Precise GPS measurements from before and after the earthquake, the fifth largest ever recorded by seismographs, show that the country’s capital, Santiago, moved 11 inches west. Even Buenos Aires, nearly 800 miles from the epicenter, shifted an inch. The image above uses red arrows to represent the relative direction and magnitude of the ground movement in the vicinity of the quake.

www.wired.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorgothaM

After a short conversation with a mechanical engineer, he told me that the University of Chile, install here in Santiago, 2 "speedometers" (i don't know if that is the right name of the equipment used), to measure the forces of earthquakes over the capital.

The measures, for the first time in the chilean history of earthquakes, evidence 2 components of forces working at the same time: vertical and horizontal forces with the same power, 8.8 in Richter scale.

Those types of movements, unusual for an earthquake until this new, cause a rare sensation like to ride a cow: up, down, forward and back. Literally.

M.

Excelente Compatriota!
I didn't know that. And i think they used accelerometers though...
That would be a really good tool to measure vector displacements

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Im still nervous

y cagao de miedo wn

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim.Hero

Originally posted by MorgothaM

M.

Excelente Compatriota!
I didn't know that. And i think they used accelerometers though...
That would be a really good tool to measure vector displacements

You're right. Accelerometers was the equipment used. My mistake.

Some uses for this machine.

Building and structural monitoring
Accelerometers are used to measure the motion and vibration of a structure that is exposed to dynamic loads[22]. Dynamic loads originate from a variety of sources including:
Human activities - walking, running, dancing or skipping
Working machines - inside a building or in the surrounding area
Construction work - driving piles, demolition, drilling and excavating
Moving loads on bridges
Vehicle collisions
Impact loads - falling debris
Concussion loads - internal and external explosions
Collapse of structural elements
Wind loads and wind gusts
Air blast pressure
Loss of support because of ground failure
Earthquake.

Wiki

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Apparently there has been another quake in Santiago measuring 7.2 on the richter scale and a Tsunami warning has been issued...

This is today about an hour ago.... 3pm Britain Time

I've searched on news outbreaks but can't find anything right now on skynews, times or even chile news....

[edit on 11-3-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Originally reported as a 7.2 but it has been downgraded to 6.9.

Magnitude 6.9
Date-Time

* Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 14:39:48 UTC
* Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 11:39:48 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.251°S, 71.889°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region LIBERTADOR O'HIGGINS, CHILE
Distances 105 km (65 miles) W of Rancagua, Chile
135 km (80 miles) N of Talca, Chile
135 km (85 miles) S of Valparaiso, Chile
145 km (90 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7.1 km (4.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=217, Nph=217, Dmin=592.6 km, Rmss=0.96 sec, Gp= 47°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010tsa6

SMR

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted before, but it was brought to my attention last night while talking online to someone who was at the epicenter of this quake.
He mentioned just how much devastation there was and while reading about it sounds horrible, this video actually had me a bit 'shaken' ...

While 'hearing' what was going on, I could only imagine how frightened these people were. I have been through quite a few earthquakes, but never this long and powerful.

[edit on 4/15/2010 by SMR]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Found this on the USGS Website
www.usgs.gov...

"Is Recent Earthquake Activity Unusual? Scientists Say No.

China’s tragic magnitude 6.9 earthquake on April 13 and the recent devastating earthquakes in Haiti, Chile, Mexico, and elsewhere have many wondering if this earthquake activity is unusual.

Scientists say 2010 is not showing signs of unusually high earthquake activity. Since 1900, an average of 16 magnitude 7 or greater earthquakes — the size that seismologists define as major — have occurred worldwide each year. Some years have had as few as 6, as in 1986 and 1989, while 1943 had 32, with considerable variability from year to year.

With six major earthquakes striking in the first four months of this year, 2010 is well within the normal range. Furthermore, from April 15, 2009, to April 14, 2010, there have been 18 major earthquakes, a number also well within the expected variation.

“While the number of earthquakes is within the normal range, this does not diminish the fact that there has been extreme devastation and loss of life in heavily populated areas,” said USGS Associate Coordinator for Earthquake Hazards Dr. Michael Blanpied.

What will happen next? Aftershocks will continue in the regions around each of this year’s major earthquakes sites. It is unlikely that any of these aftershocks will be larger than the earthquakes experienced so far, but structures damaged in the previous events could be further damaged and should be treated with caution. Beyond the ongoing aftershock sequences, earthquakes in recent months have not raised the likelihood of future major earthquakes; that likelihood has not decreased, either. Large earthquakes will continue to occur just as they have in the past.

Though the recent earthquakes are not unusual, they are a stark reminder that earthquakes can produce disasters when they strike populated areas — especially areas where the buildings have not been designed to withstand strong shaking. What can you do to prepare? Scientists cannot predict the timing of specific earthquakes. However, families and communities can improve their safety and reduce their losses by taking actions to make their homes, places of work, schools and businesses as earthquake-safe as possible. The USGS provides information on how you can prepare at the Earthquake Hazards Program Web site. "

[edit on 10-6-2010 by SaganTool]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ack, why did you bump this thread?

I logged on and thought I missed another HUGE earthquake...

new topics

top topics

<< 44  45  46   >>

join