It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Don't get me wrong, I was not saying I wanted to feel one!!!

I don't quite remember the Lisbon event, just a few years before my time, but yes I did hear that the Irish coast caught the tsunami from it. I don't think we are immune to them!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by topsecretombomb

I think most Chileans would agree that this was by no means mother nature at her worst. She has done worse to Chile, and to other parts of the world. Don't forget also hurricanes, tornadoes and tsunamis like 2004. Mother Nature IS violent/vicious and I am sure that this has nothing what so ever to do with HAARP. That particular technology may do some things that I don't approve of, but I don't believe creating earthquakes is one of them. So far no one has produced sufficient evidence to make me believe otherwise, and in particular HAARP was not on during this event I am led to believe.

Instead of just trotting out overused theories which appear to have no basis, give some thought to the people of Chile who have suffered in this and consider how you can help them.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Some notes on the event:

The primary Eq.'s were just above the triple junction between the Antarctic plate, the Nazca plate and the South American plate. The Nazca plate is sliding under the South American plate, this has been studied in some detail.
see here.

linkinghub.elsevier.com...

There is some concern now for New Zealand as well as Northern Canada.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit
Some notes on the event:

The primary Eq.'s were just above the triple junction between the Antarctic plate, the Nazca plate and the South American plate. The Nazca plate is sliding under the South American plate, this has been studied in some detail.
see here.

I'm in New Zealand so would be interested in a source for your statement that there's concern for New Zealand after Chile quake... thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Some notes on the event:

see here.

I'm in New Zealand so would be interested in a source for your statement that there's concern for New Zealand after Chile quake... thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
not only New Zeland but all the pacific ring of fire countries/islands could suffer some side effects.
I wish my bests to my ring neighbors.

Currently, our main issue is robbery, people are sacking/raiding supermarkets and stores without a reason (a man robbing an LCD TV from a supermarket is surely not because of a shortage of supplies...) And since the law is so hard when talking about weapons, some people just can't defend themselves.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
What is up with all of the earthquakes?

The world has enough problems as it is...we certainly don't need earthquakes to make it worse.

The answer to your question is in Matthew 24. Verse 7 is the one mentioning earthquakes, but I included the whole chapter for context. Verses 30 and 31 are the happy ending, unfortunately all the nasty stuff happens before that.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

Some notes on the event:

see here.

I have studied tectonics for around 20 years, in particular the Pacific plate, while I am less familiar with the Nazca plate and the triple junction the quakes in Chile are moving northward, this shows the subduction zone along the South American/Nazca plate is moving by a significant amount relative to it's yearly shift.

Some info here:
scienceblogs.com...

The Pacific plate moves anti-clockwise and while the plate (any plate) is flexible around it's edges, substantial movement in one area is often mirrored across the plate, ie. as the Nazca plate subducts and moves east so the Pacific plate will play catch up.

Since the area around Japan has moved (something I predicted a couple of months ago) the next two areas are Northern Canada and New Zealand.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Hi prof-rabbit,

you mentioned northern Canada as a region of your concerns. Would you be referring specifically to coastal British Columbia, or somewhere else? As far as I'm aware the last "great" quake in that region was the mag 8.1 subduction event near Queen Charlotte Island, BC, in August of 1949. (Reference: USGS -- Magnitude 8 and Greater Earthquakes Since 1900.)

As for New Zealand, I'm aware that there is a convergent plate boundary that runs through it, but I don't have much data about its rate of movement or assessments of the possible maximum-magnitude quakes it could produce. There have been mag 8-plus quakes on the same fault line/system both north and south of NZ during the past hundred years, but none within that country itself in that period. So, the possibility is there for a big one. If you could suggest some studies (and save lots of internet digging) I'd appreciate it and I'm sure our NZ-resident members would as well.

Many thanks,

Mike

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Does anyone have any views on whether the recent volcanic activity at Chaiten could have anything to do with movement/quake events in the area? I notice that Chaiten erupted in 2008 for the first time in 9000 years.

www.oregonlive.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
Hi prof-rabbit,

you mentioned northern Canada as a region of your concerns. Would you be referring specifically to coastal British Columbia, or somewhere else?

Here is some anecdotal evidence for the great quakes in the area, I speak of the area from Oregon right through to the Alaskan coast.
www.pnsn.org...

Top 10 Canadian quakes here
earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

Canadian seismology here.
earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

Originally posted by JustMike
As for New Zealand, I'm aware that there is a convergent plate boundary that runs through it, but I don't have much data about its rate of movement or assessments of the possible maximum-magnitude quakes it could produce. There have been mag 8-plus quakes on the same fault line/system both north and south of NZ during the past hundred years, but none within that country itself in that period. So, the possibility is there for a big one. If you could suggest some studies (and save lots of internet digging) I'd appreciate it and I'm sure our NZ-resident members would as well.

Many thanks,

Mike

Historic quakes for NZ are here
www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My brother work for the Gov, in the emergency office. The info. that they don't say to the news channels and radio, speak about a failure in the Nazca Plate, 1.100km of extension, similiar to the San Andres failure. With this condition, the experts says that there is a probability of 99% that will be a new earthquake, similiar or more powerful that happend last saturday.

I hope for the life of my family and myself, that this new earthquake don't take us in the streets or in my job, in a building of 20 floors.

I will update this info ASAP.

Thnks.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
"Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis"

"The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

www.businessweek.com...

Thought this was slightly interesting.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Thank you very much for the information and links. I knew something of the stories that form part of the Vancouver people’s oral history, but this source is excellent as it covers much more and I’ll be researching it further.

Also good to have the links to the “earthquakes Canada” site posted on here. On another ATS thread some time back we noted that USGS doesn’t actually give a lot of data about Canada, leaving that country mysteriously quiet on their maps. So, we also use the earthquakes Canada site. Without the Canadian site to fill in the gaps it’s hard to get a real picture of what’s going on in the Nth American continental region.

The New Zealand link you gave is excellent.
If anyone wants to see a pretty graphic image of what “uplift” can mean, just take a look at the photo of a NZ coastal region that shows the changes after the magnitude 8.2 quake in Wairarapa, on January 23, 1855. You can clearly see there have been several episodes of uplift there, and the last one in 1855 was by no means the biggest.

Another picture on this NZ govt website of the same region is accompanied by the text:

Raised beaches, Turakirae Head
These bare areas running parallel to the coast are beach ridges that have been raised above sea level by large earthquakes. The youngest raised beach (closest to the present-day shoreline) was uplifted 6.4 metres by the 1855 Wairarapa earthquake. Older ridges have been dated and are associated with earthquakes occurring in 2900 BC, 1100 BC and 1460 AD.

The relevance to the current thread is simply that powerful quakes like the one in Chile can possibly destabilize other regions, and as there are some places in the world which have the capacity to produce similar huge events but which haven’t had a “big one” in quite a while, it’s worth keeping an eye on them.

Mike

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MorgothaM

Thank you for posting this information. It's almost certain that there will be another major quake along this plate junction with the Sth America plate, because that's the history of this region's tectonic activity. But the problem is trying to work out when and where.

Are you saying that these experts expect another major quake somewhere along this plate junction very soon? Or are they just saying it's 99% probable that there will be another major quake, but they don't know when?

Thank you,

Mike

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Exactly. They say that there is a 99% that ocurr a new earthquake, but they don't know when.

Men, this is maximum anguish...

[edit on 2-3-2010 by MorgothaM]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MorgothaM

Because you live in that part of the world, then you know there have been quakes there for hundreds and thousands of years. You probably hear the older people talk about them.

So, when the experts say that there is a 99% chance of another big quake, but they don't know when, then they are saying nothing new. It is like, they are saying this to remind people that it's in the history of the region. But it may be many years before there is another quake so big in Chile.

It's like the situation in California, for example. They get quakes every day, but mostly small ones. People in California know that there will be another "big one", but they also know, that it does no good to worry about it too much. It could be tomorrow, or it could be in 10 years, 20 years, even longer. Many of them are prepared, but they don't worry.

Hombre, you are blessed: you survived this quake! It was one of the biggest in the world in a long time, and it did a lot of damage and tragically killed people, but most people survived because you have good buildings. Most of your buildings are well made because your government knows that you get big quakes. The poor people in Haiti were not so lucky, because it is a long time since they had a bad quake, so they did not have good buildings -- and your quake was stronger than theirs!

Please try not to worry too much. I know -- it is easy for me to say it, because where I live in Europe, we don't get big quakes. When I lived in Australia, our biggest problem was fires. I lived in the country and it was beautiful, but always was the risk of fire. And one terrible day, I lost my home in a fire. Everything I had was gone. I had only the clothes I was wearing. But I survived, and so I felt blessed, because a house is nothing if you have your life, your family and your friends.

You went through a terrible experience, but it will make you stronger. Please don't fear the future. Be glad for every day, and for your family and the friends you have! Now you know -- and you know it better than many people who are older -- you know that life and family and friends are the most important. True?

Abrazos,

Mike

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thanks so much Mike. I appreciate every thought of you, its difficult to be here in a war-like condition. I hope that another compatriots could take theirs lifes as the major gift after this event.

Yesterday, I was a survivor of Chile 2010 earthquake. Today, I need to survive of the f*ing looters!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yahoo has a story about how nasa is saying this Earthquake has possibly shortened our days and shifted the Earth's axis slightly and how other quakes have done this in the past.

news.yahoo.com...

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

Strong earthquakes have altered Earth's days and its axis in the past. The 9.1 Sumatran earthquake in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami, should have shortened Earth's days by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 2.76 inches (7 cm, or 2.32 milliarcseconds).

How likely is that, and if its true could a series of 9.0 + quakes cause, assist or forewarn a polar shift?

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Virole
...and how other quakes have done this in the past.

The magnitude 9.1 earthquake in 2004 that generated a killer tsunami in the Indian Ocean shortened the length of days by 6.8 microseconds.

On the other hand, the length of a day also can increase. For example, if the Three Gorges reservoir in China were filled, it would hold 10 trillion gallons (40 cubic kilometers) of water. The shift of mass would lengthen days by 0.06 microsecond, scientists said.

SOURCE: www.cnn.com...

Seems as though the earths rotation can be both slowed down and sped up, depending on the distribution of mass...here is a good analogy provided in the link above:

Scientists use the analogy of a skater. When he pulls in his arms, he spins faster.

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47 >>

join