Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I have never been in an earthquake but I'd love to just be in like a 3.0 or something earthquake to see what it feels like.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom_Proctor
I have never been in an earthquake but I'd love to just be in like a 3.0 or something earthquake to see what it feels like.

not much, you would need abit more than 3.0 to appreciate the full effects

we had one in the UK few years back it was around 5.2 5.6 it just felt like someone was shaking me from behind, in the chair i was siting in at the time.

i remember feeling very strange as if someone was in the room with me 30mins prior, maybe due to the electro magnetic feilds at work, and shortly after you feel slightly sea sick and disorientated,

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by phil0s
Personally, it appears to me that there is a major shift in plates occurring.
There is always a major shift occurring, but as it takes too long in human years most people do not think of it that way.

True, or it could just be the culmination of what eventually was bound to occur sooner of later. The one thing that seems a bit off is the amount of earthquakes/aftershocks that they have had since the 8.8. I am not a geologist, so I leave that to those more educated than myself, but, to me, it seems a bit odd to have so many within such a short amount of time.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR

Originally posted by Tom_Proctor

not much, you would need abit more than 3.0 to appreciate the full effects

we had one in the UK few years back it was around 5.2 5.6 it just felt like someone was shaking me from behind, in the chair i was siting in at the time.

i remember feeling very strange as if someone was in the room with me 30mins prior, maybe due to the electro magnetic feilds at work, and shortly after you feel slightly sea sick and disorientated,

We've had 3.6 earthquakes back in Albany NY before. I wasn't awake, but it shook my parents bed really bad and woke them up.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Personally, it appears to me that there is a major shift in plates occurring.
There is always a major shift occurring, but as it takes too long in human years most people do not think of it that way.

True, or it could just be the culmination of what eventually was bound to occur sooner of later. The one thing that seems a bit off is the amount of earthquakes/aftershocks that they have had since the 8.8. I am not a geologist, so I leave that to those more educated than myself, but, to me, it seems a bit odd to have so many within such a short amount of time.

Deppends on the type of fault it is, chile sits on a fold type fault where the pacific plate is sliding under continetial south american plate thus the reason for the mountian ranges, the reason for the many aftershocks is because the nature of the fault/fold, its still clearly slipping under and takes longer to dissipate than most other types of faults before comeing to an end,

if you snap a branch its over after its bent, if you slip down a muddy hill it takes some time to stop untill the momentum has gone and fiction allows you to regrip and come to a hault...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Originally posted by kolta

Roughly 9.5 - 8.8 x 32 x 32 makes the 9.5 716 times larger than this one. It is NOT going to be anything like that. Estimates go to about 2.5 metres in Hawaii.

I have to own up to a SERIOUS brain fart there. That was completely wrong and I never spotted it under pressure. It was only while reviewing the thread just now that I picked it up. Surprised no one else did!!!!

9.5 - 8.8 x 32 x 32 !!!!! Eh what!!

That should have been 10 ^ (3/2 * (9.5-8.8)) which is about 11 times larger.

My apologies to the poster to whom I was replying.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

...chile sits on a fold type fault where the pacific plate is sliding under continetial south american plate

Did you mean the Nazca, Antarctic or Scotia Plates are sliding underneath the South American Plate? Because according to this, the Pacific Plate does not even touch the South American Plate:

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Sorry people, I use to read all the thread before posting everytime since I'm here on ATS, but this time I come to say what I can see from the very damaged area...

I live in Santiago. Oh God it was HUGE. We're used to quakes since we are in the middle of Pacific's Ring of Fire, but this thime it just creeped me to death. I was brushing my teeth before a long night reading ATS, just after going to sleep. The bath's lights started to blink but I didn't paid attention. Most all of you (the ones who don't live near to a seismic area) would have creeped with the first stage of the shake, but I didn't. Well, I keept brushing my teeth and my aunt screamed "EARTHQUAKE!!!!" and we runned up to the pillars that support our building (a 50's one, it haves resisted 3 quakes before. A good ol' one). I hugged that pillar if like there was no tomorrow and started to pray like mad, all with a mouth full of toothpaste
. It lasted around 3 minutes, the most long three minutes gap of my life...

Then, when the quake finished (lights off, no radio, no... nothing) I had a panic attack, the biggest one of my life.... but my aunt made me some coffee (we had water all the time, the only service that was still up) and I managed to reach my cigarettes in the dark, along with my ravotril.
We stayed up all night, awake, because of replicas that didn't let us sleep. We recieved an old lady that lives in the third floor on my flat because she lives alone and was so scared... Nearly 6 Am I went outside to take a walk (not everyday you can walk in the morning only in your pajamas). Under the light of dawn, it looked like a scene of The Pianist. God, debris everywhere. Like a war place...

The damages on my flat weren't that huge, just a pair of cracks on some walls, and my aunt's full collection of crystal glasses broke on the floor.
We didn't knew what really happened in the country since yesterday by 9 PM, when we got the electricity service back...

And I can say, with property, that I've never expected something like this. Roads fully moved out of place, like in the movies... almost all churches (we're almost all Catholics on Chile, so catholic churches everywhere) destroyed and laying on the floor... the houses near my neighborhood all partially or fully destroyed, I live in the old quarter of Santiago and there (sadly, was) a lot of old adobe constructions. My aunt's boyfriend's house was one of those, it lost it's back wall completely and now is searching where to stay. In Concepcion, a whole building was laying ON IT'S BACK!
We had a pair of tsunamis in Juan Fernandez (Where Robinson Crusoe island is), Talcahuano, near Concepción and near the epicenter, and a little one on Easter Island.
Confusion here is a big deal, now they're looting the supermarkets and assaulting people on the streets in the most damaged cities...
Anyway, the most heavy mark this is leaving me is the roads... is so impressive how the newest ones are completely destroyed...
This is the post card for me.. unbelievable.

But if you think, this quake was biggest than a lot of the last ones we've had. And there's just 700 deaths. It's for the same reason that when there's a quake in Japan almost everybody survives. Our constructions are safest to survive, even when they are partially destroyed.

Thanks God I'm alive and kicking... A little scared but alive...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
it seams that Nostradamus predictions are coming true ! im afraid

he has warned us about this ! a good movie documentary to watch about this is Man Who Saw Tomorrow

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
nah, I think that you're over reacting. Chile is a seismic country. We've had quakes since I can recall. This was just a big one in other area, I can recall the one in Antofagasta some years ago that was catastrophic as this one. And don't forget the Valdivia one, the biggest one since the Richter system started.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

Thanks for that, and I am glad you and your family are safe. You know that account almost made it more real for me sitting here in Ireland and not knowing what an earthquake even feels like.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

In cases like this I think the theory is better than the practice, an earthquake can be a scary thing.

I felt some 6 or 7 earthquakes in my life, mostly small earthquakes, but I was only 6 years old and asleep during the first and strongest of all those.

The last one, the second biggest (I think it was a 6.0), was strong enough to shake the furniture, but not strong enough to throw anything down.

Feeling something shaking your house like it was a matchbox is not funny; it's interesting, but not funny.

PS: I don't know if you know that the biggest earthquake ever recorded in Europe (if I'm not mistaken), the Lisbon earthquake of 1755, was so strong that it made a tsunami that partially destroyed part of the city wall in Galway, in Ireland.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Finally have electricity and internet back. I am from Melipilla Chile close to Santiago and this was one mother #ing strong quake , it seemed like it would never end and it never lost intensity until it completely stopped. I still feel the rumble in my ears and I really have a bad head ache from the stress I have. This was strong in the metropolitan area and I don´t even want to know how it felt In the epicenter , many old house and churchs are down and water is hasn´t come back yet.

My cousin was fishing in San Enrique a beach close to a popular surf spot called Matanzas and there was a huge #ing tsunami , they had close to 15 minutes to run up a hill , they lost everything from tents to fishing gear. When he was on top of the hill he saw a wave close to 25 meter in hight , the wave hit the hill and made a sound that he described as bomb exploding taking a chunk of the hill he was on , right now he is really shaken up. Many beaches were completely wiped out and no one knows what the death toll is.

Right now I am fearing another quake might happen since it´s been really quiet for some time. Hopefully it wont.

I took some pics that I will upload later.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by simon2k7

hopefully they scaped alive... Did you saw how many coast villages dissapeared with the mother~ing tsunami? I'm still impressed about Peyuhue, last beach I went =s My ex BF's house was destroyed it seems...

btw, nice to see another chilean here =) wena compare

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Last week i was in pichilemu. Its sad to see what the tsunami did there...

Nice to see you fellow compatriotas

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ozzraven

Are you OK? your family?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yes,

Thank god i still live on a solid house built by my father, so we didnt have any problems. However my wife was interested last year in acquire an apartment on that building that cracked on Maipu.... I didnt like it.

Now mi wife told me that she is gonna take my word on everything now

Its important to clear out in ATS too that the colors on the sky seen during the quake were basically the streetlights going down when the power got off and reflected on the misty night on that day

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hey..I thought I was the only chilean on ATS!! glad you guys are okay, the house i live in was built ...# tremor..ok guys I will continue posting tommorow ok. I am on a second floor so I am scared.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I wonder if this has anything to do with HAARP or some type of Scalar Weaponry?

Why do people think mother nature is this vicious? Why cant they bet their bottom dollar on hard cold blooded poeple? S&F!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by topsecretombomb

you forget the /sarcasm at the end of your post =P
This wasn't HAARP guys, just tectonic plates doing the usual...

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join