It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

I dunno about that, maybe it is. I dunno.
Although I think it was last month in the prophercy's and predictions forum there was a thread about some guy saying this year will be the year of the earthquake so maybe this is the start.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

I don't know what effect CERN would be having on the world's tectonic plates, if any. But large quakes have been happening for millions of years and have been recorded in detail ever since we've had ways to measure them.

Here's a list of magnitude 8-plus quakes since 1900 from USGS. Including yesterday's there have been 86 recorded in the past 110 years. But they're odd events, as there can be more than one in some years and then none at all for even a few years.

However, the decade with the most mag 8-plus quakes in the past 110 years was from 2000 to 2009, with 13 recorded. Hard to say if that means anything, because it's still a very small time span for the data even in comparison to human history. All the same it's interesting and could be significant. But as these quakes have been popping off since long before CERN was up and running it's very hard to lay the blame for the latest one there. That part of the world along the Sth American coast is known for its big quakes, due to the subductive movement of the Nacza plate under the Sth American plate.

Mike

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hi Mike, thought that might get you going!

Since this is a bit off topic for this thread I will u2u on this - no actually I will post my reply in quakewatch 2010

I see Chile is still popping off quakes.

[edit on 28/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
MAP 5.3 2010/02/28 10:26:52 -1.110 -80.310 40.8 NEAR THE COAST OF ECUADOR
I've not heard this on the news yet.

I imagine that whole fault line will light up with activity beforea all of this is over.

CNN reporter keeps saying... "Today was a test run in case something bigger is to happen... do they know something?"

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmD1
Good morning everyone. I have a questino about the different quake lists a nd maps this morning.
I was checking out RSO EDIS and it is blinking on New Zealand saying there are a couple of small earthquakes one 3.1 and one 5.1 magnitute. However there's nothing as yet on either
USGS,gov or EMSC-CSEM that I cab see. Who to trust in this instance? Why do they differ in their listings?

thanks

[edit on 28/2/2010 by IAmD1]

Hi,

I'm in NZ and I notice this a lot. And often the USGS don't even report NZ quakes. We get heaps every year, mostly small.

The best site for NZ quake monitoring is Geonet www.geonet.org.nz...

Two quakes registered today - a 3.0 (North Island) and a 5.1 (South Island).

I run a Quake Watch group on Facebook if anyone wants to join

Name: International Quake Watch www.facebook.com...#!/group.php?gid=259824569418&ref=ts

HTH

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Okay, no probs. You've got me curious now. I'll keep an eye on the Quakewatch thread.

I expect there will be aftershocks in Chile for days yet, or even weeks, if previous "great quake" events are anything to go by. So I hope we won't have members thinking that this is something unusual.

Interesting to see the new Ecuador 5.3 and yesterday's Argentina 6.3, though. True, they're both active regions anyway, but the timing could suggest they were triggered by Chile's big one.

Mike

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Agree with you 100%.
Geonet.org is an excellent resource and in respect of NZ quakes (especially smaller ones) is probably more useful than USGS or EMSC. I mentioned the same link to them that you've just posted in my reply to the same member in this post back on page 42. So, now s/he has it twice.

Just to reassert what we've both already said, it's always best for members to check reliable, local/regional sources whenever possible. RSOE is okay in what it does, but as it's basically a clearing house for all sorts of data and isn't just for quakes, independent verification is prudent.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I have a terrible feeling that the worst is yet to come.

i have a feeling that there will be a major earthquake off the west coast of british columbia on 3/3/2010 at 3:33pm. measuring 10.3 on the richter scale.
i hope nothing happens but i have a very bad feeling something will happen.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
All these eathquakes really suck!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUltimatum

I sincerely hope that such a quake doesn't happen anywhere in the world, ever. A magnitude 10-plus earthquake has never been recorded. A mag 10.3 would be hundreds of times more powerful than the mag 9.5 in Chile 50 years ago, which was the largest ever recorded.

The region off the west coast of BC is capable of producing very powerful quakes and the last huge one there in 1700 is estimated to have been around a mag 9.0. It was caused by subduction along the Cascadia Fault line on the east side of the Juan de Fuca plate where it collides with the Nth America plate, and the epicentre was located close to Vancouver. Huge, mag 9 quakes occur there roughly every 400 to 500 years or so (on average), but ones in the mag 8 range average around one in every 270 years if I recall my data correctly.

Even a mag 8-plus would be very, very bad. It's very likely that there will be one in that region eventually as they've happened there before and the plates are still moving in a way that creates such events, but we can only hope it won't be soon.

Mike

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MexicanTexan

Good thing to point out. I have been watching Chaiten for some time now, and yes you are right this could affect things.

Magnitudes so far with trend

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b44c111e73b.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 28/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Nice chart.

So the energy being released is slowly abating as seen with the trend. But they sure aren't letting up! 5.0+ is still alot of energy being released in that area.

EDIT: That is time scale on the X right? Curious how the 6.0+ quakes seem to be at regular time intervals. I know there isn't enough data there to make any conclusions on that front, but it does look interesting.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Vexatious Vex]

[edit on 28-2-2010 by Vexatious Vex]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I stand informed. I thank you sir.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Hi PuterMan

Could you please explain your graph? Please forgive my ignorance of graphs here...
I would have thought the Y-axis would be labelled "Magnitude", and I was expecting a label on the X-axis. The X-axis is clearly a numerical progression. It goes up in threes.
But what does it mean?

I have tried to make sense of the Trend line and have to say that I don't understand it. The poster after you complimented you on the chart, so I am obviously uninformed here.
Would you care to enlighten me? It all seems very interesting.

Regards

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR posted on 27-2-2010 @ 05:57 AM
This is turning quickly into a panic 2012 has come early thread, and there are far to many people posting information with out any sort proff or trusted media links to back them up & confirm the claim,

there is no way the Tsunami wave will course any problems/deaths to any other costline in the pacific ocean apart from chile,

come on guys get a grip, and post facts and stop all this paranoid talk of a huge wave all across the pacific basin its not going to happen, i have no doubt the chile people have been hit seriously hard and thats where we should concerntrait the chatter.

I can now say... I told you so.

Catastrophe has been averted, and no such armageddon ensued everbody can now claim down...

I give it a week or two and all after shocks will stumble to nothing, or will become so weak it would bother ants

[edit on 28-2-2010 by BRITWARRIOR]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I also sense there is more to come... I cannot tell you how soon, nor what/where this will happen but I was sensing something big was going to happen sooner than later very recently and it got stronger and stronger and then I am staying up late and end up not sleeping and my cell phone goes off with a message saying 8.something mag earthquake in Chile, I say 8. something because it was actually raised from the original report which I believe said 8.3.

So this time I'd say, and feel safe saying, that within the next 3 months something once again will happen, this time it will be more catastrophic, that doesn't necessarily mean more deaths (although that's very possible) but it may mean more damage to homes/buildings... I just don't know I can't see these things, I just sense them.

I'm not some prediction nut, but I will come back and quote myself on this post if I'm correct. And yes it's very general so you may say "Well yeah something bad probably will happen in the next 3 months..." Well I'll try and be a bit more clear, I have a feeling this next disaster will be man made, which doesn't rule out earthquakes because the HAARP possibilities so really I guess I can't pinpoint anything specific...

Anyone else feeling/sensing this is not the end of a series of horrible events?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
I also sense there is more to come... I cannot tell you how soon, nor what/where this will happen but I was sensing something big was going to happen sooner than later very recently and it got stronger and stronger and then I am staying up late and end up not sleeping and my cell phone goes off with a message saying 8.something mag earthquake in Chile, I say 8. something because it was actually raised from the original report which I believe said 8.3.

So this time I'd say, and feel safe saying, that within the next 3 months something once again will happen, this time it will be more catastrophic, that doesn't necessarily mean more deaths (although that's very possible) but it may mean more damage to homes/buildings... I just don't know I can't see these things, I just sense them.

I'm not some prediction nut, but I will come back and quote myself on this post if I'm correct. And yes it's very general so you may say "Well yeah something bad probably will happen in the next 3 months..." Well I'll try and be a bit more clear, I have a feeling this next disaster will be man made, which doesn't rule out earthquakes because the HAARP possibilities so really I guess I can't pinpoint anything specific...

Anyone else feeling/sensing this is not the end of a series of horrible events?

you know what ! harpp did not cause this , and i seriously doubt that theyd beable to cause a quake larger then a 4.5 and ever if they did , why would they?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Below is raw footage of the changing sky colors in Chile. However, before we all cry HAARP, please read this first earthquake.usgs.gov...

BTW, I have a firefox extension that has been alerting me of the recent earthquakes in Chile. Since the 8.8, they have had, from my estimation, over 90 and close to 100 more earthquakes, the lowest being a 5.0, that which would normally qualify as another earthquake had it not been preceded by the 8.8. Personally, it appears to me that there is a major shift in plates occurring.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 28-2-2010 by phil0s]

[edit on 28-2-2010 by phil0s]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by phil0s
Personally, it appears to me that there is a major shift in plates occurring.
There is always a major shift occurring, but as it takes too long in human years most people do not think of it that way.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Oh yeah... of course there will be more there is lots of seismic activity around at this current time and no doubt has these events put strains on other parts of the fault if you kick one leg away the other is taking more and is likely to buckle under the bigger load/stresses.

If anything they should be considerably smaller in size, i think its safe to say this is the biggy we have been waiting for to happen, the energy has be taken out of the fault with this last EQ, however it does not mean to say there wont be more smaller ones building up to eventually another biggy in the near future.

i could be wrong but thats genrally how the pattern goes, if there was to be another huge EQ my guess is its going to be in the USA around Cali, lets hope its not a 10.0 and does not provoke a response from yellowstone,

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join