It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism : Self-Empowerment or Being an Ignorant Bully, and Suppressing Freedom

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
THIS, is a topic, close to my heart.
I can count on one hand how many times it has generated an actual extremely angered response and reaction from me, and I will do my best to share my experiences with racism .

Born in a steel town but raised outside of it, attended a public school for kindergarten and 1st grade, never heard the "N" word, and the school was "in town" and diverse. It spanned grades 1 thru 5.

2nd grade for whatever reason my Mother decides to put me in a local catholic school, it spanned grades 1 thru 8, more bigger and older kids, I remember feeling very nervous and afraid, we all wore the same white shirt, black pants and a tie, all new kids, all new friends, and the first two friends I made were twins, Danny and Donny, they were friendly and funny and we sat beside eachother everyday all day.
Before the bell rang to let you inside we'd all stand under an awning and wait.
Each day Danny, Donny and I would hang out by this petrified varnished tree stump of a log that was there, just waiting killing time not bothering anyone.
'Hey 'n-word' move youre sitting on my stump', I'll never forget that day ever, I had no idea who the big kid was, I had no idea what he meant, who he was talking to, and what a 'n-word' was, but I was afraid.
Danny and Donny both put their heads down and just moved away from the stump and then Donny went flying down onto the edge of the cement and into the dirt and the big mean boy started laughing and told him he wasnt moving fast enough.
Danny bent over and held his brother and helped him up, Donny just had tears coming down his face.
The nun's dressed in their habits werent coming, I guess they didnt see it,
and all I really remember after that was looking at the big boy laughing and Donny crying and I started swinging my metal lunch box and connecting, I dont remember now and I didnt remember then exactly what I did, but I do remember my mother and father coming into the school as I sat in sister veronicas principals office. I had to explain what happened, 2nd grade, youre what, 7 or 8 years old?
My story, the truth, wasnt believed.
The twins were afraid and werent talking, I got yelled at for asking what a 'n-word' was and
Dwayne, the bully denied everything.
I got paddled by the principal, and another ass beating when I got home.
THAT was my first racist experience. I had to teach myself what had happened, my parents didnt explain it, the school didnt explain it, I just had to quietly figure it out on my own.

5th grade, parents divorce, I end up relocating with my father out into the sticks, back into the public school system, all new kids, first day of school I wear my white shirt, tie, and black pants, it's the end of summer, I'm extreme southern Italian, I've been in the sun all summer, and yes I'm 10 and very small, (really didnt grow till much much later).
3 things already going against me (in hind sight), I'm new, I'm wearing dress clothes, and I'm exremely dark.
Wouldnt you know it, the very first day, not even in the school yet, I'm circled and teased and taunted by 5 bigger boys with a crowd watching and pushed into the mud. I kept quiet, the teacher walks over takes me inside calls my grandmother who comes to the school, with different pants and shirt, I change clothes get brought into the classroom, late, and who's in the room, yep, all 5 of the boys. Recess bell rings, we go to put our books in our lockers in the back of the room to go outside and I'm pushed hard into my locker door and punched, "Hershey Bar, coffee bean, what you gonna do?"
His name I found out later was Rick, I had a full hand of his hair on the back of his head as I smashed his face repeatedly into the vents of the locker door till his screaming and bloody nose went running for the hallway.
8 swats with the paddle from principal Davis and another beating when I got home.

My point, racism, is learned.
It's either taught in the home by the words a parent uses, or the words and education on the subject a parent ignores and fails to address.
It's carried into the school systems and reinforced by tolerance and silence.
It's perpetuated and maintained by the media in films and comedy and lyrics with the sustained use and embrace and false justification of
"it's okay to say it if you are one"
WHAT!? kind of logic is that?

Since those learning school days,
I have listened to SOME whites and light skinned people babble their fear based ignorant speeches on Blacks, Mexicans, Cubans, Italians, and anyone just south of tanning bed tan.
I've listened to SOME Blacks spew the same blind hate against anyone north of cocoa.

I have no use for it. I dont tolerate it, and when it rears its ugly head, I cut it off.
Should you ever find yourself at a gathering in my home, you will be passing the potatoes to, Italians, Peruvians, English, Irish, Blacks, Filipinos,Croatians, Serbs, Germans, Slovaks,and Mexicans, and a mixture of all of the above, and it is the most awesome experience.
It's your behavior that matters, your intentions, your genuine and true shared compassionate understanding of commonality and love for one another.

When youre hanging off a cliff and certain death is seconds away, does the color of the hand that pulls you to safety really matter?

We all live, on the cliff.

possono amore a trovare te
(may love find you)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Well, white, black, red, or yellow, we are all human beings, first.

If red was first then the negative of that is some other color and that came first, so no matter how we look at this there is no first.

If not humans where first and later humans came and forgot about who was first and the humans say they were first then the humans were indeed the first to forget...

... by their own ignorance.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Wow, I must have led an insular life according to a lot of stories here. I did have some run ins with racism, but myself only one incident that could have been bad.

Party for Halloween at Champaign/Urbana University in Illinois. One hell of a party. Towards the end of the party on the street a few people got into a fight and the next thing I saw was a huge collection of both black and white people were dividing up into opposite sides. This was in the 80's.

I would love to say I went and did something heroic, but all I did was walk away. Riots can be very bad and animal instincts tend to be just that, animalistic.

My father was a bigot and several other people I knew were racist. I find that intolerance of others is a learned response. My father God Bless his heart, had NO other things that I could point out to be in any shape or form, to be bad. I put it to the age he grew up in. I also noticed the older he got, the less he stated any of it. Maybe he realized it did not coincide with his spiritual beliefs.

As others have also stated, racism now is almost non existent comparitively to previous decades.

At least in the US, I feel the racial divide is being instituted by the Political Correctness police and ignorant MSM folk. Chris Mathews pops into mind.

I have been thinking of creating a RedNeck Card to offset the Race Card others have created. I thought it could be kind of funny. I could pull it anytime people start talking about the "supposed" dumb ignorant folk like me.

Humor can soothe the savage beast.

SKL, you seem to be one of those confrontational types. I myself am one of the quiet ones that only state their positions when something needs to be said. Of course on sites like this, that goes right out the window because of the anonymity of it.

I would like to tell a joke a friend of mine in college came up with back at SLU. He was a veteran of the Air Force and one big ass mofo. We use to lift weights together and go bar hopping in St Louis together. I am kind of big at 6'2" and back then was built like a brick #house. He made me look small. While out and about a lot of idiots would pick fights with him because of his color or his size. Like I said, I am no hero so a lot of times I obfuscated problems with different techniques like humor or feigning idiocy. My friend once told me that I must be part black with my nose being so brown. My response was, THAT was not the only thing that made me part black. I can still remember him almost falling down laughing.

Oh the idiocy of racial divide.

MLK-Quotes from his I have a Dream speech.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends. And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Growing up, my mom always insisted it meant "any ignorant person."

She never once applied it to any of the Vietnamese or Mexicans who often showed themselves to be ignorant or even downright stupid in our experiences. No, she reserved it for blacks. Every now and then, she would call a white person by the name; but by that time I'd learned that she wasn't calling them "ignorant" - she was calling a white person black, which in our area, was just about hte worst thing you could call a white person.

The word is a derivative of "negro" and it earned its connotation of "ignorant" in the context of "all negros are ignorant." it is most definitely a racist pejorative, even if you are using it to mean "ignorant." It's no different than saying "I got jewed" - you aren't talking about jews, you're talking about someone ripping you off - but the connotation is, of course, that Jews always rip people off.

I suspect you understand this already, but I've seen the claims of the word not being racist tossed about too often to just let it slip by without mention

I want to thank you for your reply and I've got a short story since you brought it up.

One of my ex-girlfriends, being a small town Ohio woman, lives what I consider an isolated life.

One day having a discussion with her mother when either we were visting, or they were visiting, I forget which, but she made the comment you just stated.

I got Jew'ed blah blah blah...

I was stunned that she said that and I got pissed and left the room.

My ex-girlfriend later asked what was wrong.

I told her I did not appreciate racism and I thought that was a very racist comment.

Her mother and I later had a discussion and she explained to me, it meant being screwed financially.

At a Flea Market.

But she understood why I might see that as racist and she had never considered it as racist, in the least, because she heard it daily from where she was from.

We had a civil discussion and I came to understand her better that she meant no offense.

She apologized for offending me.

It is a difficult world we live in sometimes when people label people or things.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I was going to post something meaningful and thoughtful. Decided not to share with the @%#%^#^%$ garbage Im seeing.

People there just words. Thats it words.

If where going to use the word racist heres my definition.

Racist- bigot- idiot

someone who judges another without walking a mile in there shoes

Wheres your cultural sensitivity?

cross cultural sensitivity

Wikipedia
Cross cultural sensitivity is the quality of being aware and accepting of other cultures. This is important because what seems acceptable in some countries can be rude or derogatory in others.

This of course makes me one as well-

I am Kent Walls and by by own definition I am a racist-bigot-idiot

I am a superiorist and believe in the superiority of one color.
Pic ture of master race
U2U me if the picture doesn't show

schweers.files.wordpress.com...

outofcentralasianow.files.wordpress.com...
Just in case any of the above fail there is three links.

Thinking of writing a book on 'How to fight PC'ness and win'

Great topic S&F-
@ whoever posted a tool to split us into dividable groups.

your right, go to search here and type in 50 cent and robert greene

youll find the same bad mojo, with a lack of

Cross Cultural Sensitivity...

@ SKL another great thread...

TILL THE MODERATORS GET TOGETHER AND BANN ME FOR OPINION-

Long live freedom,

after all its part of my cultural to be insensitive to yours. and if you call me on it you're the one being culturally insensitive. How you ask? Simple its how my culture works.

LMEAO

[edit on 28-2-2010 by ripcontrol]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I'm going to ask you to supply website links and or copies of the e-mails.

And make sure you quote them in the correct context, please.

Oh, and one more thing, not sure about you, but any e-mails that are suspect, or multiple story oriented, like you have claimed, is usually something someone does as an Urban Myth.

I am not stating I am supporting your claims nor Doc Velocity.

However, seeing as I started this thread on the controversial topic, I'm negating the hostilies between both people, because I let the drama unfold.

Now, after being busy with life, offline, I'm mending fences in this thread.

reply to post by Doc Velocity

Doc Velocity, sorry it has taken me this long to reply to both of you.

I do realize you can defend yourself, but since I started this thread, I'm going to step in and handle it, at least to step into the middle of the fray.

Perception, my friend, is one thing we all have in common, that we have it, not that we necessarily share it, my meaning that we do not necessarily share the same exact persepctive, which is what I believe this nonsense is about.

My laughter at your post was because I could imagine the situation.

While I have not necessarily had the same situation, I've had similarly ignorant situations.

Black, white, the color does not matter to me, I've seen some ignorant behaviors.

To go on further with any member is something I see as potentially infuriating to both parties, so I thought I would share the rest of this outside of replies to the two ATS members I just spoke with.

When posting to other people, read the words, typed on a screen.

Realize that they are only words, digitally programmed into a forum, nothing more.

Words are powerful, yes, but we are the ones who can negate their power.

By how we reply, respond, and discern them.

Remember the old saying on the playground...

Stick and Stones May Break My Bones, But Words Will Never Harm Me.

It took me until I was approximately twenty-five to truly to learn the message to that.

No, I am not slow, I took things to heart, wore my heart on my sleeve, as well as was sensitive to words and let them control me, instead of the other way around.

If someone told me the quip Your momma wears combat boots... I would kick their ass.

This is because I grew up under :

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Now, if someone makes the quip about mothers and combat boots :

My momma's combat boots could kick your ass.

But I as well grew up under the Eastern belief system of honor, meaning my knowledge of the Art of War, Bushido, and the Way of the Warrior, would not allow me to not defend my mother's honor.

I grew up under this diverse belief system because of my continual thirst for knowledge, an overwhelming and almost unquenchable one.

History was one of my favorite topics, but I kept finding that it was written by politically skewed minds, who did not want the truth to ever get out.

Instead, to the victors, goes the spoils, and the winner writes history.

The loser in the battle, gets to lick their wounds, and fight again, if they can.

If they were not eridicated by the winner, prior to, or after the conflict ceased.

Having said all of that my message is clearer, I hope, to everyone.

This thread is not about spreading a message of hate, from anyone, even myself.

It is about fighting the hatred, through intelligence, and defeating ignorance.

If my message, and or ideas have not been clearly defined, ask me.

I am more than happy to clarify, trust me, because I want ATS to stay on task.

Deny Ignorance.

As for the Sticks and Stones taunt from our childhoods, I finally figured out my meaning, the definition I choose to tell people, and hope it spread to those people who know no better, to those people who have been on the receiving end of hatred, and to those who turn around and ignorantly spread the hatred, and anyone else I can find.

It means to me, that words, are just words, and that they only hold the power over us that we let them, and while racist, ignorant, and hateful words can hold power, however, you can take that power away, in many ways.

You can choose to beat the crap out of the person...

You can choose to ignore those words...

You can choose to use humor to difuse the situation...

You can choose to counter it with ignorance...

You can choose to tell that person you love them.

But, here's the catch, it's your choice, choose wisely.

Because our choices define us, and who the world thinks we are, and our paradigm is affected by that one choice, because you can either become a hurricane, and a force to be reckoned with, or you can toss a rock into a pond and cause ripples of harmony across the pond, or you can be a butterfly and flap your wings to cause the hurricane elsewhere.

There is a movie of the same name, but I am referring to the butterfly effect.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Butterfly Effect

The butterfly effect is a metaphor that encapsulates the concept of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory; namely that small differences in the initial condition of a dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system.

Although this may appear to be an esoteric and unusual behavior, it is exhibited by very simple systems: for example, a ball placed at the crest of a hill might roll into any of several valleys depending on slight differences in initial position.

The butterfly effect is a common trope in fiction when presenting scenarios involving time travel and with "what if" scenarios where one storyline diverges at the moment of a seemingly minor event resulting in two significantly different outcomes.

I am speaking in a metaphorical sense of course, so let's get off the playground.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Well, I have never seen that movie, Jakes51, but thank you for sharing it.

I grew up and was raised to think for myself, regardless of the consensus.

As well I was taught that people are people and their skin color is only pigmentation.

If they follow their parents raising, their environment and become a product of it, or if they overcome those adversities, it is after all up to them.

What I mean to say is that we have a choice is who and how we will become.

The end goal is for the World Government to keep us divided against our fellow humans.

Bilderberger : The Global Agenda, Eugenics, Global Warming, And Biochiping Sheeple

Because, if they can keep us divided amongst ourselves, we might never find out all of the things that they are up to, the slave collar will become real.

On each and every one of us, no matter your color, no matter your beliefs.

We are the only ones who can stop it via stopping the racial disharmony.

Originally posted by dzonatas

Oh, do not worry, I've been called that by a black man, and his mother cussed him out.

All you did was tell a story to spread hate.

Look again what you said here:

That is because I have seen that particular usage of the word, as ignorant.

If you don't see anything beautiful in the word then that is your own ignorance.

Being a racist is not the same as racism.

There is obviously beauty to have the many races and being able to feel unique and not the same as everybody.

If you cannot discern that my reply was a reply to you and not to spread hate, I am sorry, because it was not the intent to reply to spread hate.

I've been called the N-word, and I am white, that's all.

His mother cussed him out, she thought he was being ignorant, period.

That word is neither beautiful, nor ugly, it's usage however is twisted.

It is a word, nothing more to me, so do not try to twist my words.

Racist or racism, both are ignorant, because it is about hatred, nothing more.

I do not think one race is better than any other nor do I feel people who spread that nonsense, because it is about division, and people who want to cause harm, spread hatred, and spend energy on hatred only propagate it.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

So, when will I get an invite to dinner, HappilyEverAfter?

Kidding, I am sure you're too far from where I live, and I cannot afford the gas to get there.

I want to thank you for sharing your story because it has something we can all learn.

Tolerance, not of each others color, but of each other as humans.

What you went through was atrocious, the school and nuns were the problem, your parents, just as much a part of the problem as the bully himself.

Understand, I'm not being nasty towards any of those people, but to me, seeing your story only reminded me of the many issues I went through in school.

And it was usually the school, the Administrator of said school, or a bully who was the problem.

I could count out at least twenty different situations where a teacher, Principal, or Dean came up to a fight I had gotten sucked into, where I was blamed first, because of their ignorance in seeing me swinging a punch, in self-defense.

Or even going off on someone trying to defend me, verbally, or otherwise.

I refused then to fit into a clique, and if you were not defending me because they bullied you too, or you were in the middle of the conflict, my thoughts were stay the Hell out of it.

I was a latch-key kid at age seven, on into my teenage years, taught responsibility.

Responsibility for my own actions, and now because of that, rarely do I ever accept help.

Which when I became a bully-buster at age fifteen, only reinforced for me, there was no one else going to help me, ever, and I took it upon myself to help others.

I have a slightly different perspective than you, HappilyEverAfter, but it sounds like we have learned some of the same lessons, authority is no help, usually.

Usually they are just as much a part of the problem and no help resolving it either.

Be a part of the solution, and not a part of the problem, and resolve it if you can.

Thank you again, for sharing your story, I'm sure it meant as much to you to share, as it meant to me to read it, and I appreciated reading it thoroughly.

Originally posted by dzonatas

Well, white, black, red, or yellow, we are all human beings, first.

If red was first then the negative of that is some other color and that came first, so no matter how we look at this there is no first.

If not humans where first and later humans came and forgot about who was first and the humans say they were first then the humans were indeed the first to forget...

... by their own ignorance.

You are correct, there is no first, I only put white, because I happen to be white.

Nothing other than that, because I see myself first when replying, to someone else.

Nothing other than that, zero intent towards propagating any other race over another.

Humankind, is first, in my book, period, nationality means nothing either.

I am an American citizen, because I just happened to be born here, America is a country that happens to reside on Earth, so I am an Earthling, and human, before I am American.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Well, endisnighe, you are half right, and half wrong about my being confrontational.

I used to be one of those kids who was a loner, and everyone picked on me.

I did not fit into the jocks, because I did not play sports, I did not fit into the chess club type either, because I enjoyed military tactics, Law Enforcement tactics, and the Intelligence Agencies, more than I did moving pieces on a chess board.

I could keep going into all the groups I did not fit into, but that's off point.

My stepfather was of the mindset that he would rather play sports, than watch it, and if he did not have the time to play it, he was not going to bother watching it.

I learned from that example, and through my knowledge of Ancient Rome and Greece, I learned that sports were the melodrama, where bread and circuses were.

I just wanted to learn, I did not give a crap about who's who, or which group of kids hung around with which group, I thought they were all idiots, because of lemming mentality.

I had a chip on my shoulder, but it was there because I read higher and harder to read subjects then the school taught, and they tried to stick me in with the egg-head kids too, and I refused to go into that program, I wanted the solace of solitude.

I was an odd kid and teenager, because I chose books, over friends.

I was and I still am constantly reading my books because knowledge is something I seek.

Not companionship.

I usually hate it when I'm reading and someone walks up and asks what I'm reading.

If I was reading it meant I did not want to be disturbed, period, and to stop someone when they are reading, to ask what they're reading is rude as Hell, and stupid.

I did realize eventually that this meant that the other person was usually a reader too, and learned how to see that as meeting a potentially new friend, but not always.

I have a thirst for knowledge and if someone is not going to help me find more knowledge, I want nothing to do with them, and I began being a conspiracy theorist at age six, when my stepfather came into my life.

That is thirty years of experience and I use that knowledge now to not necessarily physically confront bullies, but intelligently do it, whereas I used to just use physical strength, I know use tactics, and I use them well.

Knowledge is power, plain and simple, and I'm seeking a way to use it intelligently.

I grew up as a kid that hated mankind because of it's intolerance of mankind.

That's what I see racism as, and racist's are a part of the intolerance of fellow humans.

Learned over my thirty-six years on Earth how to profile people, regardless of race.

It works too and has saved my life many times when I discerned someone's intent.

I have gotten so good at it I can at times take less than five minutes to profile one person.

30 seconds to profile someone is my record.

Before anyone asks, I believe racial profiling works, but I believe as well it has an agenda.

I do not participate in that mindset, at all.

When I refer to profiling I am speaking of statistics, probabilities, and outcomes, period.

This is based upon all races, religions, and countries, not just one over another.

I could become an actuary if I wanted to do it, but it's not something I'm interested in.

reply to post by ripcontrol

I do agree with you, ripcontrol, they are just words, but not everyone understands.

Not everyone can control their emotions, their words, nor their meaning.

The English language is an odd thing, if someone does not understand the connotation, context, content, or intent of someone's words, the message is lost.

It's like handing someone a map who had no idea of how to read a map.

And if they do not ask you or someone else to explain it, sometimes they fear looking stupid.

Me?

I will ask since I have zero fear of ridicule and zero fear of not knowing.

This is why I ask questions, because I want to know, and understand.

I want to comprehend exactly what is going on.

Look to my reply about "Sticks and Stones" and you will see what I mean.

And as far as I know, no one will ban you for your words, just follow the T & C.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

As for growing up, I never fit into any of the normal cliques except for maybe the partiers. I did not fit well there either because I was in sports and was also a nerd. I have always found cliques or what I like to call boxes(Labels and the BOX they put us in!) to be the main problems we face. The thing was though, it seemed the partiers cared less about what you were than the other groups.

As for the meaning behind me saying confrontational, I should have gone into that a little more. What I meant more succinctly was that you put things out there in your life. You are direct and open. Where as I, I am more of the quiet, calculating type that you would usually see on the outskirts of a gathering. Listening, watching, calculating. Being me, if I am not the center of attention, being a former business owner and a super, I usually just watch and only engage when necessary.

Kind of the old speak when spoken to mentality, hammered into me by my father. One of his favorite jabs was to say "don't speak like a man with a paper ass". I always found that a funny saying. My older brother at some family gathering catches me smiling and usually asks me what I am smiling about. My usual response is-Smile, the world will wonder what you are up to.

Another great thread SKL.

edit to add link to my thread about boxes-thanks SKL

[edit on 3/1/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Just a note on bullying behaviors in children.

Empathy doesn't truly develop until a child is older, sometimes as late as agee 24 (or never). Which is why schoolchildren can be so cruel towards each other.

Teach them to be respectful when they're young, it would do wonders for our society.

On to racism....I'll never forget the day this happened.

I was working with a class of second graders. We were talking about Dr. King's I have a dream speech.

One child looked at me and asked, "What's a black person?"

That child was African American.

Her neighbor (who was white) replied, "Someone who's been playing in the mud all day."

Just remembering that story gives me hope.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I recently had something happen that shocked me that people can be so openly racist. I don't agree with racism of any kind, but I know there's a huge population of people who are racist. If you are a racist, you could at least have the courtesy to keep it to yourself.

I was in a Social Security office in a larger city recently. I was with an elderly relative and we were finished and just came down the elevator headed for the door. I was a few steps ahead, waiting on my elderly relative when a postal worker walked through the door. Here is what was said.

While the postal worker was still coming through the door, she says. " You just leaving the SS office? You know they are taking our SS away from us!"

I'm not sure who's she's talking to at this point.

She stops in front of me, so know I know she was talking to me. I said, " Yeah, but luckily, the wait wasn't too bad." ( ignoring her last sentence, because I have no idea what she's talking about)

She goes on to say, " Yeah, the SS office is FULL of 'em! And they don't work! They sit on their rears all day and have four and five kids, and steal our SS money. They need to go back where they came from."

At this point, I'm fully aware of what she's referring to and I'm totally embarrassed. She was loud and obnoxious and apparently didn't care who heard her. She went on and on even as I was ignoring her and helping my elderly relative through the door out.

As I said, I don't agree with racism, but if people are going to be racist (and they will), can't you keep your opinions to yourselves for crying out loud.? Whether you feel you are being ripped off of your SS or any other thing, why broadcast in public to people who don't feel the same?

I don't usually do well with snappy comebacks, but boy, I often wish I did.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Fortunately, for you and I, we had a stable upbringing and had parents who allowed us to think for ourselves. However, some children are taught lies and given a skewered view of the world by their parents. Still, I say racism is taught, and no one is born a racist. It is instilled in people as children when they are the most impressionable, and as they grow it is reinforced when it is discovered by the teachers that indoctrination has worked. Then in most cases the cycle continues on into the next generation.

However, I do agree with you, we can choose who we want to be as adults, however, that is easier said than done for the child that was indoctrinated with hate since they were able to walk and talk. With time, they usually encounter someone who confronts them about their error, and sometimes people are able to shed the chains of mental slavery known as racism. Racism is a form of bondage and control, although it has invisible bars and chains. Some can shake them off, while others go about their lives in a self imposed box, and in a confinement of their own choosing. Thanks for your reply SKL, and keep up the good work!

[edit on 1-3-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Racism" is a modern term imbued heavily with "spin" so that it makes a certain belief seem as if it singles out race, among all other factors, and uses that as its most important value, by which it determines who lives or dies (since Adolf Hitler is history's most famous "racist," it is assumed that totalitarianism is behind it). However, this itself is bigotry, as it attempts to create a straw man out of Nationalism by construing it as the primitive "racism," and from that hopes to create popular bias against it because, after all, "it's not fair" to judge people by things over which they had no "choice."

It is impossible to disregard the race issue as a result, as it has become highly politicized with both guilt and commerce, the latter benefitting from people of a uniform mixed racial consistency. People take two approaches to race: either they advocate the destruction of race, a decision which in all forms equates to assimilation and interbreeding to a degree that racial differences are initially annihilated, or they advocate preservation of race, at which point they are called "racists" and "haters" and drummed out of their jobs, homes, families and normal lives for public crucifixion.

(From experience: nothing that requires such a taboo can stand on its own.)

However, those of us who see globalism as the greatest threat present an alternate view of humanity: all serving American-style economic systems, we have been bred into uniformity and thus have no heritage except shopping at the same type of malls, watching the same TV, and purchasing the same type of lifestyle items. Money culture is all that holds us together. The traditions and heritages of the past have been obliterated, leaving us to fight wars over religion, money and power itself. Since we are all equal, we all must serve the machine equally and none may have a more important voice than others, especially those pretentious upstarts who periodically try to tell us that our society is not the best possible method of keeping humanity as a whole healthy.

First, there is the issue of history, in which race has constantly been a hot topic and a cause for conflict. But more importantly, the foundations of our society since the introduction of Judeo-Christian beliefs call for a celebration of the "individual." Christianity spoke of a personal relationship between "God" and the individual, who was then judged on the basis of his or her degree of moral rightness. After the Renaissance in Europe, this view became secularized into humanism, which inspired many of the fundamental tenets of the new American republic, including "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

At the basis of all of these beliefs is the assumption that humans are not physical beings, but souls connected to physical beings, and that while the exterior may have a wide range of appearances, the interior is essentially the same. This assumption was useful in handling the problem of evil in a world created by an omnipotent god; how could people be "evil" unless they were literally of another source or essence? In the secular liberal/humanist view, this justification is extended to the idea that all people and all decisions are "good," except for those which are specifically "bad."

In the modern time, democracy has made the upholding of these views more important. Because the number of people gathering behind any political idea gives it a chance of succeeding, demagoguery has become an accepted norm because of the convenience with which money can sway democratic societies. As a result, only the broadest base of appeals can support any idea, which means - as in movies and most books - that entreaties must apply to the grand ideas of emotion, visual aspect, or self-importance, or even better, all three. Thus racism has become another powerful method of manipulation, either by slandering an opponent or claiming to alleviate an "evil."

Many contend that race is only physical appearance, and that the soul or personality lies outside of genetics entirely. The other side comes back equally strong by advocating that humans are purely physical beings ("animals" in biological terms) and that there is no dualistic nature of consciousness: all thoughts originate in the physical mind. For proof of this they offer the differences in intelligence between children of highly intelligent parents and the norm. Accordingly, they claim race is important because unique genetic characteristics of body and consequently, mind, are passed along in each ethnicity.

In this they are correct: the risk of eliminating "racism" is that ethnicities and cultures may be lost. If those who created civilizations such as ancient Rome and Greece were correct, ethnicity and heritage are inseparable, and within those hierarchy is unavoidable. The human future which awaits may involve the merging of all races into a single normed population, at which point the distinct traits created over thousands of years of social differentiation are lost. However, society's pretense of "equality" is enforced and the newly enfranchised voters are pleased, and with their loss of pride in unique cultures, now make better consumers for products of multinational corporations.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I can sympathize SKL. Being a Caucasian male and of maybe a little smaller than average size, I had to stand my ground. Especially in a low income roughneck part of Houston, if you have seen Urban Cowboy, that's the part of town. Where's the problem you might ask.

I was I guess what you would call "popular" in Jr. High and did not have any problems, perhaps taking part in some of the racism that was dominant in Roughneck culture. I did not really know any better. In that period, Houston had not had the cultural influx that we have today, and minorities had it even rougher.

That all changed for me in high school. I met some new friends, punk rock skater types, and found my new home. I delved deeply into the "alternative" lifestyle. This was in the middle 80's before it became more mainstream. Many of my "friends" that I had in my earlier years turned viciously on me.

I found myself being somewhat of the "leader" of the punks. Thus having to stand up for my clan, and other clans as well. Being kind of small, I had to learn to fight. And fight I did. Every single day. I was the most popular person in high school, just the most hated. Everyone knew who I was.

Those two punk rocker friends that I met back then that influenced me so much are my best friends to this day.

One of them is and was then a third degree black belt in TaeKwon-Do, and when he quit school and left me behind to deal with the bullies, he would pick me up after school waiting with a baseball bat to ward off the group of people following me to kick my butt for no reason. I will never forget.

I found the minority groups had a strong bond with us because we had the same problems and vice-versa. I met some of the greatest people ever at that time. People that a few years earlier, I just did not understand.

We as a species are afraid of what we don't understand.

So to this day, I define racism as ignorance of a peoples culture. I give everyone equal opportunity, until you do me wrong personally.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I thought I would reply to an over all reply, and go back to reply to the most recent posts.

But, timewalker hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for that.

Xenophobia is a strong bond.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Xenophobia

Xenophobia is a dislike and/or fear of that which is unknown or different from oneself.

It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."

The term is typically used to describe a fear or dislike of foreigners or of people significantly different from oneself, usually in the context of visibly differentiated minorities.

I felt it important to jump to the heart of the matter before I went offline and came back.

People, no matter their race, have a fear and or dislike of things, people included, that are different, something I have seen many times over my lifetime.

I am to the point that I fear nothing and no one anymore and I welcome diversity.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Spartan, stop bullying me into replying to your threads

Kidding...sorry I'm late to join the controversy!

Ok, so on topic.

I agree with you.

There is a difference between black people and "N-worders" as I put it. I have always subscribed tot his mentality. Mind you I dislike the word and attempt to keep away from it for various obvious reasons, mostly out of respect.

But some of my white friends have heard me utter the word, to THEM specifically for being ignorant and just plane dumb.

I ammount the change in the word's meaning to others that have changed over time.

Let's take the word Queer for example. It's been used widely as a slur towards homosexuals for decades even though it's original meaning simply means odd. ( Which in hindesight, is probably right lol)

We need as a culture to understand that words meanings and their use will evolve overtime. I by no means want to see that particular word, the N word re-emerge, unless it was something positive, but something tells me that white people would still be banned from saying it none the less.

I also share your thoughts on bullying those who bully others. The best medicine is usually some of your own, and those who are on a power trip, need to be schooled by somebody posing to be on a bigger one.

Bringing them back down to earth is always a positive thing to do. Most will thank you later if they come around to being decent human beings.

Thanks for the thought provoking thread Spartan.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Just wanted to add, I got the term faggot used on me a lot during those years. Though I am and have always been heterosexual. I think they were just jealous that I had the entire cheer leading and drill squad hanging on my shoulder all the time. Oh the irony, they were the ones only hanging with boy's.

I will never forget the time that black belt friend, that was always underestimated, Got into a squabble over a pair of sweatpants that a guy thought was his. He said, those are mine faggot and tried to hit him. My friend replied, well this faggot is about to kick your ass. He proceeded to throw the pants in the air above the guys head, and as the guy stupidly looked up to watch the pants fly, here comes the side kick to the throat. The guy never called him faggot again.

By the way, some of my best friends are homosexual and I love them dearly.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Well, confrontational can be taken many ways, and I've seen just about every way possible in regards to being confronational, and or non-confrontational.

It has only helped me, in all areas of my life though because while learning as I went I learned about conflict de-escalation, through my stepfather teaching me with animals as examples, watch how an animal behaves when confronted.

I learned early on to have a healthy respect, but no fear of animals.

And humans at times act more like animals, sometimes though, we have to remember our own instincts, and use brains over brawn, something I respect.

reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you for sharing your story.

It shows that children learn behaviors, and maybe we can take that as an example of how to un-learn our idiotic behaviors, and learn with new eyes.

As a Security Officer, learning about learned behaviors was enlightening.

reply to post by virraszto

Sounds like that person you came into contact with will soon be going to sensitivity training.

Or possibly get fired for their behavior, and blame it on everyone else.

When wearing a uniform, a Service Industry person, represents that corporation.

I've been in the Food Service industry for sixteen years, working two to three, to sometimes four jobs simultaneously, and I learned that quickly.

It reminds me of a former Security Officer, when I was a Security Officer, before he quit to go become a Prison Guard, who was pissed off that he got in trouble for wearing his work uniform to a local bar, and getting into a bar brawl and he did not understand why he was written up.

That man will get shanked by a pissed off prisoner because he's a nasty man.

I just know his behavior patterns and his attitude and it's not necessarily racist, but it fits in with the ignorant mentality, because he knows better.

We often forget we represent outselves by our actions and it is seen by others.

reply to post by Jakes51

Jakes51, I was one of those kids who when picked on, went to the library.

I found solace in books and learning instead of the ignorant violence.

It however was not always afforded to me, when I would be backed into a corner.

It was then, being backed into a corner, that my animalistic tendencies came out.

And they came out to play in self-defense, people did not like playing with me then.

If I read on Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece, do you honestly think I would back down?

And I fight fair, first, until the other person does not, then all is fair in love and war.

I will give people a fair option, until they try to take to go dirty, then all bets are off.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I always thought racism, was just something that was made up by minorities to be used as an excuse in life for everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join