It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington's Farewell Address

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Washington's Farewell Address

avalon.law.yale.edu

Friends and Citizens:

The period for a new election of a citizen to administer the executive government of the United States being not far distant, and the time actually arrived when your thoughts must be employed in designating the person who is to be clothed with that important trust, it appears to me proper, especially as it may conduce to a more distinct expression of the public voice, that I should now apprise you of the resolution I have formed, to decline being considered among the number of those out of whom a choice is to be made.

I beg you, at the same time, to do me the justice to be assured that this resolution has not been taken without a strict regard to all the considerations appertaining to the relation which binds a dutiful citizen to his country; and that in withdrawing the tender of service, which silence in my situation might imply, I am influenced by no diminution of zeal for your future interest, no deficiency of grateful respect for your past kindness, but am supported by a full conviction that the step is compatible with both....
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/26/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
There are a few statements so important to the health and well being of our nation as Washington's farewell address of September 19th 1796. The Gettysburg address is another as is Roosevelt's Economic Bill of Rights and Eisenhower's warning of the military/Industrial complex speech.

But Washington's was the first and what he had to say rings true today.

I suggest my fellow ATS members read the whole thing but pay close attention to his warnings about the pitfalls of political parties.

But for those with short attention spans:

In contemplating the causes which may disturb our Union, it occurs as matter of serious concern that any ground should have been furnished for characterizing parties by geographical discriminations, Northern and Southern, Atlantic and Western; whence designing men may endeavor to excite a belief that there is a real difference of local interests and views. One of the expedients of party to acquire influence within particular districts is to misrepresent the opinions and aims of other districts. You cannot shield yourselves too much against the jealousies and heartburnings which spring from these misrepresentations; they tend to render alien to each other those who ought to be bound together by fraternal affection. The inhabitants of our Western country have lately had a useful lesson on this head; they have seen, in the negotiation by the Executive, and in the unanimous ratification by the Senate, of the treaty with Spain, and in the universal satisfaction at that event, throughout the United States, a decisive proof how unfounded were the suspicions propagated among them of a policy in the General Government and in the Atlantic States unfriendly to their interests in regard to the Mississippi; they have been witnesses to the formation of two treaties, that with Great Britain, and that with Spain, which secure to them everything they could desire, in respect to our foreign relations, towards confirming their prosperity. Will it not be their wisdom to rely for the preservation of these advantages on the Union by which they were procured ? Will they not henceforth be deaf to those advisers, if such there are, who would sever them from their brethren and connect them with aliens?

AND:

"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention, which in different ages & countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders & miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security & repose in the absolute power of an Individual: and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty."

Read those comments at least and preferably the whole speech; especially those who cheer on the division and gridlock today in his namesake city, and meditate on his warning.

Gridlock and political hate is tearing our nation apart.

It helps no one except those few who benefit from inaction.

avalon.law.yale.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This thread will probably go down like a lead balloon since it requires thought and consideration of not only a speech made in an era when people knew how to think and write without tweets and sound bites...

but also of how it applies today.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This speech, however, was written for the ears of a new nation. Today our gridlock is based on how best to screw the American people. We say we want bi-partisanship, but no one is asking for a Constitutional government, a government our First President helped create with blood, sweat, and tears, and the only bi-partisanship we will see is the collective effort to take freedom from either side until the whole #ing nation is buried
in chains. I say no more, the system is irreperably broken because of the men and women we are now asking to work together...What if what they work on hurts us? When was the last time the government took authority, not granted in the Constitution, which turned out to be helpful in the end?

They poison the food with favoritism from the FDA, they assassinate American citizens based on suspicion, they steal from us through taxation-inflation-and debt, they wiretap us, the beat us, kill us, and pass laws to protect those that do their dirty work. No more!

I think it would be better if they did NOTHING.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It is the nature of all governments to try and garner more and more power and it is the nature of people to resist it.

Its an ongoing balancing act and when it breaks down (and we are not there yet) both the government and society collapse and a new arrangement is made.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I was just thinking about this the other day.How in just a short 200 years we went from a great number of men who put duty to country above all else,to well I can't say what in polite company.

I have been researching our evolution from revolution to this morass we find ourselves looking at.

Did you all know this.

Eisenhower initially did not call it the "military-industrial complex"?

He wrote,"the congressional-military-industrial complex"!

His aides talked him into changing it.

This is according to his granddaughter.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Yet at the same times 200 years is not so long and regardless of the odious nature of the political system...I am reminded of a description of Talleyrand as being odor or merde in a silk stocking...today, it still functions and despite the excitable nature of so many of both groups of partisans...here on ATS and in general...the change of power from one party to the the other from one president to another goes smoothly and no one has actually tried to permanently hold power.

Despite the merde that is Washington DC...that simple fact means a lot.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I figured this thread would go nowhere and I was right.

I guess its easier to hold on to your bias than try to work beyond it.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
I figured this thread would go nowhere and I was right.

Your thread was a reading list. In the absence of a discussion question, where could it have gone?

It seems unlikely you'll find many posters here saying "Washington was wrong!" and - for the rest who would say "Washington is right!" - why would you bother if no one is arguing the fact?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zenser

I'll throw you a bone ... Washington was dead wrong not to have supported the Newburgh Conspiracy and accepted Lewis Nicola's offer to have the Army stage a coup install him (Washington) as King of America. Non-hereditary monarchy is the most natural, traditional, time-tested system of government ever devised by the mind of man.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by zenser]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
We were all taught that The US won the revolutionary war. However, did you know that at that famous surrender the British did not turn over their weapons, and in fact remained stationed on US soil with all the artilery and guns that they always had there.

Washington could not have been Kin of America. We already had an acknowledged King. He would have needed his approval to use the title, and I think that under the circumstances he would not likely be asking.

This is what Cornwallis said to Washington at that surrender:

"Jonathan Williams recorded in his book, Legions of Satan, 1781, that Cornwallis revealed to Washington during his surrender that "a holy war will now begin on America, and when it is ended America will be supposedly the citadel of freedom, but her millions will unknowingly be loyal subjects to the Crown."...."in less than two hundred years the whole nation will be working for divine world government. That government that they believe to be divine will be the British Empire."

www.civil-liberties.com...

And then you must acquaint yourself with this:

"The constituion Con
The US Constitution was created on September 17, 1787, and was ratified (behind closed doors) on June 21, 1788. Thirty nine of the fifty five delegates who attended the Philadelphia Convention signed the document. Their con job is evident from the very first line penned. Legally, the "People" allegedly mentioned, are not sovereign. They are merely willing slaves who have been granted the illusion of freedom.

From an occult point of view, the Constitution was ratified on an Atonist festival day. It is a patently Solar Cult document. This is because the date of ratification was June 21st, the day when the sun ascends to its highest point in the zodiac."

www.taroscopes.com...

This quote among others is in the above article:

"Such a tyrannical future where property rights would be ignored, where a massive standing army would lurk unchallengeable, where Congressmen would hold office for life, where ruinous treaties would be commonplace, where Presidential powers would make Nero jealous, where gold and silver would vanish from circulation to be replaced by the worthless "notes" of a private banking conglomeration, where the States would be reduced to mere administrative departments of the feds, and where the grasp of taxation would actually reach into the common laborer's paycheck - all this was too fantastic to be even theoretically contemplated during the ratification debates - Kenneth W. Royce (Hologram of Liberty)"

Can you identify with this?
Our so-called servants somehow seem to be our masters.
Clever they were to play with your mind, huh?
Most of this Aristocratic Class are Lawyers.
They are all agents of the British Crown.

When was the last time there was any legislation that had the good of We The People in mind?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
We were all taught that The US won the revolutionary war. However, did you know that at that famous surrender the British did not turn over their weapons, and in fact remained stationed on US soil with all the artilery and guns that they always had there.

Washington could not have been Kin of America. We already had an acknowledged King. He would have needed his approval to use the title, and I think that under the circumstances he would not likely be asking.

This is what Cornwallis said to Washington at that surrender:

"Jonathan Williams recorded in his book, Legions of Satan, 1781, that Cornwallis revealed to Washington during his surrender that "a holy war will now begin on America, and when it is ended America will be supposedly the citadel of freedom, but her millions will unknowingly be loyal subjects to the Crown."...."in less than two hundred years the whole nation will be working for divine world government. That government that they believe to be divine will be the British Empire."

www.civil-liberties.com...

And then you must acquaint yourself with this:

"The constituion Con
The US Constitution was created on September 17, 1787, and was ratified (behind closed doors) on June 21, 1788. Thirty nine of the fifty five delegates who attended the Philadelphia Convention signed the document. Their con job is evident from the very first line penned. Legally, the "People" allegedly mentioned, are not sovereign. They are merely willing slaves who have been granted the illusion of freedom.

From an occult point of view, the Constitution was ratified on an Atonist festival day. It is a patently Solar Cult document. This is because the date of ratification was June 21st, the day when the sun ascends to its highest point in the zodiac."

www.taroscopes.com...

This quote among others is in the above article:

"Such a tyrannical future where property rights would be ignored, where a massive standing army would lurk unchallengeable, where Congressmen would hold office for life, where ruinous treaties would be commonplace, where Presidential powers would make Nero jealous, where gold and silver would vanish from circulation to be replaced by the worthless "notes" of a private banking conglomeration, where the States would be reduced to mere administrative departments of the feds, and where the grasp of taxation would actually reach into the common laborer's paycheck - all this was too fantastic to be even theoretically contemplated during the ratification debates - Kenneth W. Royce (Hologram of Liberty)"

Can you identify with this?
Our so-called servants somehow seem to be our masters.
Clever they were to play with your mind, huh?
Most of this Aristocratic Class are Lawyers.
They are all agents of the British Crown.

When was the last time there was any legislation that had the good of We The People in mind?

Surely there's a Masons/Lizard People/CFR thread out there you could post this on instead of here?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Zenser, how about discussing the referenced material.
Where do you have a problem with it?

Go here,read this and then get back to me.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Jonathan Williams recorded in his book, Legions of Satan, 1781

There is no such book by Jonathan Williams titled "Legions of Satan. "

Also, Col. Williams was living France in 1781, as he had been since the Declaration of Independence. The Surrender of Yorktown occurred on October 19, 1781. The minimum crossing time over the Atlantic in the late 18th century was 1 1/2 months. That makes it really hard for him to publish a book in 1781 detailing secrets of Yorktown.

As for your suggestion I waste my time reading a rambling, anonymous essay that lacks any type of references or citations and is posted to some obscure - and equally anonymous - website that has "Up Yours Congress!" on the front page ... maybe I'll take a rain check on that. It doesn't sound like the most academically reputable research operation. So sorry.

Hugs and Kisses,
Z

[edit on 28-2-2010 by zenser]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Regardless of Mr. William's wherabouts.....
The Treaties are in the article.
But you may prefer to llok them up yourself, from a source you consider reputable.

And what do you think about this?
www.amazon.com...

and this:
www.fulldownloadshare.com...

and this:
unholyjake.blogspot.com...

Thanks for turning me onto more research.

Regards, O.Z.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by OhZone]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Regardless of Mr. William's wherabouts.....

Regardless indeed ... when the very first source referenced in an incredible assertion doesn't even exist it doesn't bode well for the rest of the assertion.

Best of Luck in all your endeavors,
Z

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You make a big thing out of a minor point and step over the big one.
And your info on his whereabouts seems to be in error.
You claimed the book didn't exist
Yet Amazon had carried it.
It is available for download.
There are publishing houses that make photo copies of original out of print books and sell them.

So Martha Washington had holdings in the Bank of England.
Maybe we should relook at Washington's farewell address seeing him as another with the interests of the Elite in mind rather than ours.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ohzone and Zenser

What the hell does any of this have to do with this thread?

In case you didn't notice its NOT about Washington conspiracy theories and other nonsense...

It is about Washington's farewell address and how it relates to the situation in this country today and specifically about his warnings concerning political parties.

So unless it relates co post it someplace else. I would rather this thread die than get taken over by monsense like this.

join