It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most precise test yet of Einstein's gravitational redshift

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I just now read a thread about a test dis-proving Einsteins relativity theory.

It reminded me of an article I recently read. As the ATS search button didn't come up with it, what I think to be weird ?! Even google didn't found it.

If it's posted before . Sorry !
Edit.
Please ? Point me to it if it is ?

The source is UC Berkley News. Scroll to the bottom of the post to visit the link and read the full article.

What is nagging me is the time in between the articles and why this one seems to be missed.

Any members with an answer around ?

The article .

BERKELEY — While airplane and rocket experiments have proved that gravity makes clocks tick more slowly — a central prediction of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity — a new experiment in an atom interferometer measures this slowdown 10,000 times more accurately than before, and finds it to be exactly what Einstein predicted.

I lack a proper education in this matter so I don't have any usefulness to say.
I do think it's interesting.
Why !! For heavens sake is it about a clock and it's slowing down by gravity ?
Does this theory not say time is relative ? Who cares about measuring something what is perceived different on individual experience ?

The answer !?

Precision timekeeping.

Far from merely theoretical, the results have implications for Earth's global positioning satellite system, for precision timekeeping and for gravitational wave detectors, Müller said.

Well it makes some sense. But... Is it not been going very well in Earth's orbit ?
I can't remember reading about two satellites hitting each other ?

Freefall

During the approximately 0.3 seconds of freefall, the matter waves on the higher route feel that a little more time elapsed: just 2x10^-20 seconds compared to the lower route. But because of the sheer magnitude of the Compton frequency, Müller said, they oscillated about a million times more often. Since the atom interferometer could measure the difference to within a thousandth of an oscillation, the experiment produced a 9-digit accuracy. This corresponds to measuring the time difference to 10^-28 seconds.

Well this is out of my league so.

The Link !

PS.

Don't forget the two questions I wrote before the article, please ?
And don't think twice if you think you can teach me a thing or two about topic !

[edit on 26/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

[edit on 26/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

new topics

join