It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli defence chief doubts Iran would use a nuclear weapon against Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Israeli defence chief doubts Iran would use a nuclear weapon against Israel

ca.news.yahoo.com

"I don't think the Iranians, even if they got the bomb, (would) drop it in the neighbourhood," Ehud Barak said. "They fully understand what might follow. They are radical but not totally crazy. They have a quite sophisticated decision-making process, and they understand reality."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well no crap.....

It's not about "intimidation", it's about them having enough nuclear waste to create a dirty bomb which could easily be shipped to Israeli borders or even, possibly, Tel-Aviv directly.

I understand Pakistan has Nuclear Weapons and terrorists groups, yet none of those groups have detonated such a weapon against their enemies within India....

I just think this is a different ball-game and the Iranian Gov't cannot be trusted. Sure you can say the same about the USraeli gov't... but...

That's another thread altogether.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Well no crap.....

It's not about "intimidation", it's about them having enough nuclear waste to create a dirty bomb which could easily be shipped to Israeli borders or even, possibly, Tel-Aviv directly.

I'm not sure they would even do that, given that the radioactive materials could be traced back to Iran, with the same results...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Not unless the Iranians do it covertly, then they are not crazy, just pretty darn smart.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The Iranians have many ways to reply to an attack by Israel.

Could be a dirty bomb, or much more likely a biological response.

When the USSR collapsed, Iran offered many destitute Russian biowar experts a new home, a new career, and financial security in Iran.
They have been hard at work ever since.
Those guys were pretty well up with it too, during the cold war.

Not to mention, much nuclear material, including actual warheads and expert knowledge that went "missing" in the period of lawlessness that immediately followed the breakup of the USSR.

Iran may not yet have the capability to mass produce it's own nuclear weapons, but it almost certainly has some black market nuclear hardware that can be reverse engineered making it a lot easier to go the final step.

Quite a few people also claim Iran does in fact already have a very few fully functional small tactical nuclear devices that were smuggled out of Russia intact.

Wouldn't it be a delicious irony if the Russian mafia, (largely controlled by Russian Jews) supplied Iran with the tactical nuke that may very well one day destroy Tel Aviv.

[edit on 26/2/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

For for f's sake, you can't be serious. How far are you planning to move these goalposts to justify yourself?

I understand Pakistan has Nuclear Weapons and terrorists groups, yet none of those groups have detonated such a weapon against their enemies within India....

But those crazy iranians, boo howdy man!

I just think this is a different ball-game and the Iranian Gov't cannot be trusted. Sure you can say the same about the USraeli gov't... but...

That's another thread altogether.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by CanadianDream420]

Between Iran and "Usrael" only one side of the argument is threatening to cripple the economy and slaughter the civilians en masse of the other - if you're dense, that's the "Usrael" side, threatening massive sanctions, attacks, bombing, and assassinations.

But it's okay, because even if Iran doesn't want a nuke, and would never use it, they REALLY want a "dirty bomb" (that every test done has shown to be completely useless, easily foiled with a garden hose) so we still need to rattle those sabres!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Well no crap.....

even that sounds like BS

why would country which has stock pile of chemical and biological weapons
wait to send over meterial dirty waste when they could easily arm people with the said above.

Irans leaders may be idiots but they arent that stupid

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Update on this from CNN

edition.cnn.com...

Top Israeli official: A nuclear Iran would endanger world stability

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Well no crap.....

I'm not sure they would even do that, given that the radioactive materials could be traced back to Iran, with the same results...

It would be the rough equivelant of us Floridians dropping a dirty bomb on the Texans from a geographical standpoint.

Absolutely no way to keep the radiation from just drifting in the wind right back on us.

I am sure the folks in Alabama and Lousianna and Mississippi and Georgia would be as thrilled about that as would be the people in Jordan, Gaza, The West Bank, Saudi Arabia, The Emirates, and Yemen would be!

The truth is no one is going to use a nuclear bomb unless they want to pull the Mutually Assured Destruction Card and based on Israel's "Everyone is out to get us stance" I would say it would be far more likely that they as opposed to any other nation or group on earth would be the ones to play that card.

Great thing about this whole issue with Iran is it has highlighted the fact that Israel is nuclear armed, not a signatory to the non proliferation or regulatory agreements and allows no inspection of it's illegal nuclear weapons arsenal.

Hopefully that will change and we can bring them up to at least the same level of basic accountability of Iran who does allow inspections of its Nuclear Facilities and has signed the accords.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Youd have to be a real loon to use bio-weapons, on another country, reason being is bio-weapons kill everyone. The enemy , the coutries around the enemy, picked up by the winds it can mutate and end up killing most of the worlds population. My guess would be iran makes a dirty bomb, gives it to hammas or hezbeloah these folks are crazy enough. They manage to get it within Tel Aviv. BOOOM. Then they go on CNN and tell the world that the hand of alah has brought vengence down upon isreal capital. They won't ever bomb jerusalem, since the dome of the rock is one of islams major holy sites. It would be Tel Aviv.

my 2 yen..

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't think Iran would nuke Israel, but I do think that Iran would like to have nuclear weapons, just so that they can say 'screw off, we have nukes" whenever countries like the USA start drumming up anti-Iran rhetoric. I don't think they are stupid enough to use nukes, but they might want to have them around so that they are taken more seriously on the international stage.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
Youd have to be a real loon to use bio-weapons, on another country,

Yet Israel has threatened to nuke every major city in Europe if Israel is attacked (the Sampson option). That is the official policy of the Israel government.

America and Russia both threatened instant and massive nuclear reprisals (MAD doctrine) if either was attacked.

Is all that any less crazy ?

If Israel nukes Iran, bio weapons will most surely be used against Israel as reprisal, and why not ?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Saddam used them on his own people... Partly in thanks to Rumsfeld who had a hand in selling them to him.

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
If Israel nukes Iran, bio weapons will most surely be used against Israel as reprisal, and why not ?

Why not? Oh I dunno.... International backlash and a total annihilation of the Iranian infrastructure.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Saddam used chemical weapons. And he used them against the Iranians first

But I suppose noting that the Iranians have been the victims of savage and grossly illegal attacks with chemical weapons from an American-backed regime would rather undermine your hardon for a new war against Iran, wouldn't it?

It would make Iranians seem human, after all, and it would provide a rationale for why Iran's government is vociferously opposed to WMD that ISN'T "they're muslims and all muslims are liars especially Iranians we need to kill them lots!"

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Like I said on another post, nuclear bombs are for insurance purposes only.

And my opinion is …. For Israel to say that Iran will not use a bomb on them means 2 things,
They didn’t get the backing of the west to start a war or they already know that Iran has a bomb. That is why he didn’t come out as always saying that Iran is very very dangerous.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Saddam used them on his own people... Partly in thanks to Rumsfeld who had a hand in selling them to him.

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Why not? Oh I dunno.... International backlash and a total annihilation of the Iranian infrastructure.

>Implying isreal is immune to international backlash and that iran doesn't have a system set up so if the iranian regime no longer exists they couldn't possibly tell hezbollah to use that "package" we sent you the other month.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Simple fact is this.

Any nuclear related activity in Israel - full nuke/dirty bomb etc - is going to result in sections of Iran getting hot for a few minutes and then unhabitable for a period of time.

Even if whatever happened isn't their doing, they're going to cop it.

Which is why Iran is never going to do it, or condone it, or attempt to implement it.

The West has made Iran guilty by association before anything even happens. The Iranians know that as much as anyone else does. They aren't stupid.

The nuclear club is a curse as well as a benefit.

new topics

top topics

join