It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking While Brown (or Gay) in Texas Will Get You Arrested!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezus
reply to post by Snarf

Who cares why the law was "erected" ?

We are discussing the way the law is currently being “used”.

The title describes reality...that is the opposite of sensationalized.

What?

So we shouldn't care that the law APPLIES to EVERYBODY - we should ONLY care that the LAW ALSO applies to black people and gays?

So, should we exempt them from the law and only apply it to white people and straights?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

Originally posted by Jezus
reply to post by Snarf

Who cares why the law was "erected" ?

We are discussing the way the law is currently being “used”.

The title describes reality...that is the opposite of sensationalized.

What?

So we shouldn't care that the law APPLIES to EVERYBODY?

Why would we care that the law applies to everybody when it is being used against specific people and NOT others?

So, should we exempt them from the law and only apply it to white people and straights?

The law is being abused and abused against those who aren't going to win in court in Texas.

It isn't being "applied" to everyone.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I don't think anybody doubts that the letter of the law is neutral. The wording of the law itself does not mention gay people, straight people, or any racial group. People are questioning how the law is enforced. They feel that the law is being disproportionately enforced against gays and Hispanics. These people feel if the enforcement was completely neutral, cops would be rounding up drunks in honky tonks and other bars with largely white customer bases.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

The law is being abused and abused against those who aren't going to win in court in Texas.

Thats a matter of opinion.

Believe me, im not a fan of Texas. Lots of bad, very stupid people have come from Texas, and even more call it their home.

But even more than that, i'm against minority groups saying "boo whoo, we are oppressed" when they're really not.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Then Sergeant Richard Morris had an idea. "Hey," he said. "Let's go to the Rainbow Lounge."

Not to mention, this "article" reads more like a novel than a news report.

The article wreaks of bias and sensationalism.

The truth doesn't need to be sensationalized. IF someone tries, then you have to ask yourself "why?"

And 9 times out of 10 the answer will be "Because they're making it up"

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Drinking While Brown (or Gay) in Texas Will Get You Arrested?

Really? If that's true, I'll happily fork out the air fare for Gordon Brown, the British PM. to fly to Austin for a round of drinks at any bar of his choice there.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Jezus

Thats a matter of opinion.

I agree it is an opinion that this law shouldn't be used this way, maybe some people are happy about this.

But the title of the thread is simply describing what was observed.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

Is this bar public business ?
Then if so it is not a Hispanic bar any person is free to enter the establishment.
So any person could have been illegally accosted and arrested.

Now if it was La Raza's private bar then i could agree. It was geared toward a particular race.I think we all know which Race La raza is referring to.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
the cops have it all back wards
the moment they are in a public area intoxicated the law is to be abided,
inside a privet ly owned facility the law is a bit different , there the bartender may pour you as many drinks you want aslong as he/she sees it fit for you...

besides there are laws against interupting ones buisness without proboble cause ,

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
From what I recall about the Rainbow lounge incident, the police chief came out and apologized afterwards and promised not to be so aggressive against the gay community.

Oh right so its okay for a law enforcement officer to go into a bar and act like a bully and come off lightly by giving society a public apology (slap on his hand) - walks off smiling/all he has to do now is think of another silly idea and get away with it!

The majority of a law enforcement/ police officer ARE THUGS!

[edit on 2-3-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2
Drinking While Brown (or Gay) in Texas Will Get You Arrested?

Really? If that's true, I'll happily fork out the air fare for Gordon Brown, the British PM. to fly to Austin for a round of drinks at any bar of his choice there.

They do not mean our prime minister Brown. There referring to the word 'brown' to represent a coloured race and trying to say it politely without a racist head title.

It doesn't matter what colour you are/ what gender one like's/ who you are by public figure. It just goes down to the majority of the authority system has always been ran by corruption official's from the top.

I refer to copper's as thugs! As the majority are suchas one example of my cousin who only got suspended with a full 12 months wage in his pocket all in one go so the top official's would keep quiet of his crime's that THEY didn't want getting out to journalist's.

That's why there MAY be some good cops but the rest are thugs.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by DClairvoyant]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join