It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking While Brown (or Gay) in Texas Will Get You Arrested!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Sensationalist title FTL

Trying to troll?

What is with the TX hate around here lately?

FYI,
TX continues to support Bush and Cheney.
Home of the backwards thinkers.

I love New York and Texas...not the people from there.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLaPPiE

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Sensationalist title FTL

Trying to troll?

FYI,
TX continues to support Bush and Cheney.
Home of the backwards thinkers.

I love New York and Texas...not the people from there.

i am not going to really start a debate on this or anything. I was not fond of Bush, and have never liked Cheney. Your narrow minded stereotype might just stink worse than the people you are trying to pigeon hole, you know.

Have you ever considered that there isn't much difference between Obama and Bush? Or Bush and Clinton?

Did you know that since Obama took office he has executed more predator drone attacks (in only a year in office) than Bush did in 8 years? If you think Bush/Cheney are warmongers, what say you about Obama, who stepped up the efforts?

Last time i checked, we still had a considerable number of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Methinks that the stupid partisan hate people have for Bush/Cheney smacks of a hypocritical dementia.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Exactly. Why is it that Texans hate anyone non-white Christian? And erect laws to show it?

I seriously don't get it.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Exactly. Why is it that Texans hate anyone non-white Christian? And erect laws to show it?

I seriously don't get it.

I think this video explains this phenomena quite well. Perhaps i am wrong.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I honestly don't really care about Texas in this case, a bad law is a bad law no matter where it is.

I am unfamiliar with how state-government works in Texas however, is there any way that this law can be challenged and ruled unconstitutional? Does it conflict with any federal law that could be used to overturn it?

I'm much more concerned with IF the law is as this article says it is, how can it be gotten rid of as quickly as possible.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
I honestly don't really care about Texas in this case, a bad law is a bad law no matter where it is.

I am unfamiliar with how state-government works in Texas however, is there any way that this law can be challenged and ruled unconstitutional? Does it conflict with any federal law that could be used to overturn it?

I'm much more concerned with IF the law is as this article says it is, how can it be gotten rid of as quickly as possible.

there are lots of bad laws. they will not be gotten rid of as long as the people support them.

honestly, if you go to the average "stereotypical" bar around most rural Texas towns, they are full of drunks that don't do much but cause trouble.

Kind of hard to get public sympathy when that is what is in peoples minds.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I was born and raised in Texas and still own close to a section in the panhandle.

And I thank God every day of my life that I have the resources not to have to live there with their racism, misogyny, homophobia, and narrow minded ideologies and twisted worship of authority.

Most of the transplants that call themselves Texans...."All hat, no cattle"

I'm not talking about Austin, Rockport or South Padre.

[edit on 27-2-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
In Texas, it is ok to go INTO a bar, and arrest people for being drunk in a bar?

So people can't go drinking anymore?

I don't get it. Some of the Texans here seem to think it's all good though but they won't when it's the house they live in getting the door busted in and the son or daughter they thought was straight getting hauled off.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

In Texas, it is ok to go INTO a bar, and arrest people for being drunk in a bar?

Ummm, no its not. Its okay to go into a bar and arrest a drunk guy for being disorderly...but thats far from the same thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This is a law that pertains to everyone does it not? So what does being brown or gay have to do with it? This is a obvious attempt at trolling. And the mods should take this post down or have them change the title.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
This is a law that pertains to everyone does it not? So what does being brown or gay have to do with it? This is a obvious attempt at trolling. And the mods should take this post down or have them change the title.

this is actually a very good point - that im ashamed i didn't pick up on before you said something

The OPs opening statements even state that it can happen to anyone, so why do we need such a sensational title?

Sounds to me like someone just learned how to use the race card, and is taking full advantage of it.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
@rainfall,

any updates on your effort to find that Tx drinking law this article references?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

The OP used the title of the article. OP did not just make it up. Whether or not the article is bunk, is up to members to decide and do their own research to support or debunk it.

Please, lets all stay on topic: Drinking While Brown (or Gay) in Texas Will Get You Arrested!

If you think the article is truthful or completely false or misleading or however you view it - do some research and present that here

[edit on February 27th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
The OPs opening statements even state that it can happen to anyone, so why do we need such a sensational title?

Because it describes what actually happened...not what could have happened.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

OP, what exactly does the law state?

I'd like to know, so would a few others, it would help with our understanding of this whole situation.

ahh nevermind...saw that the request was made earlier and seems like you have no interest in providing the info for your thread...but here you go...I found it.

Texas Public Intoxication Law

Sure enough it's vague as all get out. But I've been drunk here around coppers numerous times...being pulled over while someone else was driving, parties, and literally falling down the street. The two cops scared the crap out of me with a field test, but just took me home. They ain't all bad.

[edit on 2/27/2010 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is the PDF referenced in the article though strangely, the article says it's a 2003 law and this document is 2007-2008.... Anyway, I've attached it or it can be accessed via the original article, about halfway down is a link.

OP - really wish you would have linked this in the beginning. It took only a short time to find.

2007-2008 Texas Penal Codes PDF

CHAPTER 49 INTOXICATION AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OFFENSES

Sec. 49.02. Public Intoxication.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the
degree that the person may endanger the person or another.
(a-1) For the purposes of this section, a premises licensed or permitted under the Alcoholic
Beverage Code is a public place.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the alcohol or other substance was
administered for therapeutic purposes and as a part of the person's professional medical treatment
by a licensed physician.
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C
misdemeanor.
(d) An offense under this section is not a lesser included offense under Section 49.04.
(e) An offense under this section committed by a person younger than 21 years of age is
punishable in the same manner as if the minor committed an offense to which Section 106.071,
Alcoholic Beverage Code, applies.

*Thanks for the help (you know who you are) for pointing me towards this info!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968

So people can't go drinking anymore?

I don't get it. Some of the Texans here seem to think it's all good though but they won't when it's the house they live in getting the door busted in and the son or daughter they thought was straight getting hauled off.

Have you ever heard the story of "Tater Salad"? Being arrested for being drunk in a bar is not only in Texas. It happens in New York, too. Being in a bar is not a reason to be drunk, it seems. Since i don't drink, i don't really care. I have a 30-30 that protects my home.

RE: cops busting people without cause in Texas, that happens. I am sure you remember the Kopbusters thread a few months back from Odessa, TX. That is just up the road from me, and i spend a lot of time in Midland/Odessa (weekly travel).

Here is the story.

Here is the reason they did the whole Kopbusters sting:

Yolanda Madden Released From Pison, Granted Retrial.

The Odessa police, apparently, planted drugs on her. They thought she was this bigwig drug dealer from Dallas called "The Ice Queen". After spending all the time and resources on the investigation, they still didn't realize it until they pulled her over. Once they realized they screwed up, they just railroaded her in order to save face.

I hope they all swing for it.

I could tell you some horror stories about the police in my hometown. Drug Task Force agents shot in the back of the head, face down in pile of coke, or other agents getting caught being on the take, etc.

It is bad.

Read about this story on the local Latin Kings murder and narcotics trial for an idea of the town i live in, and the kind of people that the police and DA's collude with in return for money.

The pregnant woman and unborn child that were shot, were shot around the corner from where i live. I had family members of the deceased, and spouses of several Latin Kings working for me at the call center i ran. Keeping a lid on the situation was difficult for everyone involved. Thank God they are gone.

Despite all of this, i would never leave Texas. Maybe just move to anothe rtown.
I love the Tejano culture. The senoritas are muy bonita. And i love the food. Of course, i can cook the food wherever i go...but the senoritas?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Mr. White was thrown out of the bar, he was arrested on the street...technically that was legal.

I get what you are saying...that Texas isn't the only one with bogus stuff.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Because it describes what actually happened...not what could have happened.

So?

Its not a law erected in opposition of black people and gay people.

Its like if a gay guy murdered his father for rejecting him, then will the OP create a new thread called "California Law Persecutes Gay people for taking revenge!"

Its a law that applies to everyone - just because it was used against a gay guy doesn't mean it's discrimination.

The OP seems to be merely sensationalizing a situation.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Who cares why the law was "erected" ?

We are discussing the way the law is currently being “used”.

The title describes reality...that is the opposite of sensationalized.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join