It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethics Panel: Rangel Violated House Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Rep. Charles Rangel says an ethics panel's finding against him is "disturbing" and promises he will have more to say about it after he consults with his lawyer. The panel found Rangel broke House rules.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Rep. Charles Rangel, the most powerful tax-writing lawmaker in Congress and a 40-year veteran of Capitol Hill, acknowledged Thursday that an ethics panel has accused him of accepting Caribbean trips from a corporation in violation of House rules.

At least four other members of the Congressional Black Caucus who were also on the 2007 and 2008 trips were exonerated by the panel, a congressional source familiar with the findings told The Associated Press.

"I don't want to be critical of the committee but common sense dictates that members of Congress should not be held responsible for what could be the wrongdoing or mistakes or errors of staff unless there's reason to believe that member knew or should have known, and there is nothing in the record to indicate the latter," Rangel said at a hastily called evening news conference on Capitol Hill.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

Seems open and shut to me, the guy took bribes. He should be thrown out of congress for his actions.

I think that we as the American people need to keep up on our representatives and senators and make sure that these kinds of things never occur, and if they do occur, the congressmen that do it need to be removed from office immediately.

There is no excuse for taking any sort of corporate bribe, and we the people need to enforce that!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Acknowledging that the so called Honorable Mr. Rangel violated House Rules is one thing, but doing something about it is another. I for one do not think that the foxes running the chicken coop are going to do anything to their fellow fox just because some chicken complained and it was discovered that the chicken told the truth.

We all have come to acknowledge that criminal corruption is the most prevalent cancer subduing the health of this once great nation and yet as a nation we do nothing to demand, yes I said "DEMAND" that our system of government, business, and process's are ethical and moral.

We live in an age where science and technology are rampant around us and yet we do not demand that corruption be priority number one from which all other issues stem from.

We have the means and the needed technology to begin identifying greed, corruption and most of all fraud in every segment of our government. Every segment of our society should be protected by a system that hunts down "All" criminals and prosecutes them for their crimes. If we had an agency like the NSA that monitored every federal employee and or civilian corporate business entities that does business with the federal government we could begin to eliminate the corruption and criminal activities within the federal government.

Anyone that does business with the federal government and any federal employee regardless of level of employment should be monitored, have 24/7 surveillance and have all internet and cell phone traffic monitored as routine as the daily news paper.

We unfortunately don't have a Judicial System at present or at least a U.S. Attorney General that adheres to moral and ethical behavior and as long as justice is politicized, we as a nation are doomed to just more of the same names and faces undermining our nation and the laws of the nation for the sake of greed and ways to line their pockets with the tax dollars of this great nation.

In today's corrupt political culture we will see them identified from time to time for their criminal activities, vilified and then normally returned to business as usual in their million dollar political circles. This has to end and what has to happen is for the nation to see that criminals go to jail and that they do not profit by just merely transferring shamed politicians laterally to some corporate culture position paying millions where the once ex statesmen continue their criminal activities undisturbed by the those "little chickens" that complain from time to time and make stealing more difficult than desired.

We have the technology and we have the reasons or motivations to pursue such a project to end corruption in this nation. This nation once undertook the "Manhattan Project" to achieve something powerful and meaningful for the nation as a whole. It is time to approach corruption in the same way and with the same attitude of importance.

I for one think it will be easier than splitting atoms, but then again I'm an optimist. I just know that to do nothing is to ensure more of the same crap that undermines this nation and robs the tax payers of dollars being used to perpetuate corruption at all costs. Greed and corruption are out of control and no amount of "SPIN" is going to alter that dim fact.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

I agree with you, and while I mostly lean left. I cannot condone, or defend the actions of Mr. Rangel. In my honest opinion he is guilty of the crime of bribery, and as such should be expelled from congress for his actions.

We do have the technology to track this. We have the ability to look at every single vote, cross reference that data with each of these people's campaign contributions and truly see why these people vote the way they do.

Sometimes they vote along party lines, which is in my opinion wrong, other times they vote the way their campaign contributors pay them to vote, in this case you have to wonder what legislation this guy helped pass was influenced by these trips.

join