It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca-Cola Agrees The Winners Can't Be White.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
im sorry, but this is blatant in your face racism. If its meant to ONLY be an african-american thing...then "white" competitors shouldnt have been allowed. and of course that cant happen because people would scream "RACISM!" so what do they do? undermine all the hard work put in by a more deserving competitor by allotting a second first place win to the runners up...an african-american team.

and this argument about how its "their culture" and how we should respect their culture and stay out of it...you know i can understand how someone would feel that way. how they think that its good for other cultures to have certain things that are theirs, and theirs alone. but all that does...is further segregate people and further separate us.

so what if it was a cook-off, for a particular type of ethnic food...and they allowed ALL races to compete. now say the winners of this cook-off, just so happen to NOT be of the ethnic background of the main dish being cooked? is it then ok to award another first place prize to the runners up who ARE of that ethnicity? thats ridiculous! thats like saying, you didnt win, these other people were better than you...but because this cook-off was making a dish from your culture, we'll let you have first place too. how does that make ANY SENSE to people?

the message is that, these people stepped better than you...but because they're not black, we'll allow you to share first prize. in a nut shell, thats exactly the message their sending. the white people had a better performance, but we'll let you win too because you're black. how is that not racist? how is that not allowing these black people a sense of entitlement simply based on their skin tone? they didnt deserve to win, they didnt have as good of a performance. the only reason they're getting to "win" now, is because of their skin tone.

heres my personal opinion. the people were angry that someone beat them at "their own game". so instead of backing up the decision by the judges, which would probably encourage the other teams to work harder, be more creative, and come back with an even better performance next time, they said, oh its ok, we'll just create a second first place prize. and that teaches people its ok if you dont perform as well as the other guys, you'll still win because of your skin colour. how does that encourage harder work and more creativity? and how does that not perpetuate more racism?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by smarteye

Well as a black person this outcome is a shock but hey so what. The simple fact is that no-one owns any art form. Eminem was a shock and Vanilla Ice was a bad shock (lol) but Step will go the way of rap.

Note to white step team: Well done! The best team won.

Note to black teams: Sorry you all lost first place. Better luck next time but you need to work harder.

Coca Cola is making everything worse by defining second place on racial grounds. Do they think that black people are so delicate! Or stupid! If the first place was won on merit well shouldn’t all the other placings?

T

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Who would actually want to participate in one of these anyways? The ignorance that abounds this country is fascinating.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaNutter
It's just my opinion folks. I knew after reading responses you wouldn't like it.

No one answered the actual question I had though... who here actually knows the history of step?

Who said white people can't have their own culture? They do. We own the United States, all of Europe, the international banking system... that's just off the top of my head. Just because someone cries racism it doesn't mean it is.

Put away your race cards and let's call things like they are.

White culture doesn't have a part in tribal Africa (other than stealing from it). So why are they competing in what boils down to a tribal ritual competition?

If white fraternities and sororities want to compete in something like this the very least they could do is source some Nordic rhythm and rituals...

this is the one that will get quoted

wow this is one of the dumbest posts i've ever read on this website. i feel bad about it.

first, no, i don't know the history of step, and i don't need to.
secondly, that's great forsight you have there: "I knew after reading responses you wouldn't like it."

so because i'm white i can't practice kung fu (and enter competitions and win if it's sponsored by a huge corporation that doesn't want to lose face or lawsuits from civil rights activists), play rhythym and blues music or listen to it, be the head chef at a mexican resturaunt or practice my religious beliefs on an indian reservation? because i'm stealing someone's culture...

you are ONLY playing race cards. culture and race are so unrelated, and biology has further eliminated the concept of race completely.
'white' culture means as much as 'black' culture. nothing. you are who you are, how you grew up, what your family celebrated, your traditions, and then who you decided to grow up to be. that's your culture! how many of these black kids are from an african tribe or representatives of one? not that i give a shjt either way, but probably none of them. most likely anyone who is interested in step (in this country) is so because they saw some horrible hollywood film targeted at them, and frat$ and $orroritie$ don't really do much el$e or $erve any purpo$e academically.

anyone who protests this by saying that cultures divided themselves by skin color/race are themselves propogating that exact practice, and embracing racism instead of defending culture. and guess what, things change. we don't really have to avoid sex during a full moon on halloween if were afraid of giving birth to a witch or something--we all know better.

we all know better. but want to act like were on different teams still.
"the world will never change as long as everyone thinks they are right." - random speaking skull from a video game (deal with that)

this post is so divisive and hypocritical i feel gross trying to dissect it.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
White sorority wins Sprite Step Off

If you haven’t heard by now, the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha are the baddest steppers in the land this year.

ZTA, a White sorority, pulled off a major at the Sprite Step-Off Challenge over the weekend. The newcomers beat out Black greeks from Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Omega Psi Phi and Phi Beta Sigma to take first place and a check for $100,000.

Although stepping is largely a revered tradition among Black fraternities and sororities, it’s not like the judges just handed Zeta Tau Alpha the top prize. From their initial try-out to the finals, those girls came hard. Of course it doesn’t hurt that their stepmistress has a background in choreography.

“They blew us away,” said Rob Hardy, the producer of an MTV 2 series about the Step-Off. He told S2S that after seeing the sorority’s audition there was no way they couldn’t have let the ladies compete in the big show.

also from link
Here is the competition:
Alpha Kappa Alpha

Alpha Phi Alpha

Delta Sigma Theta

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaNutter
How many of you above me who have replied above me have a good understanding of what step is?

I'm a pure bred western European white boy, in a Fraternity, and knowing what I know about step... I agree with coca cola...

This is essentially white people wishing they were tribal Africans.

This is going to ruffle some feathers but oh well.. I don't understand why black sororities and fraternities can't have something that is uniquely theirs, derived from their heritage?

[edit on 26-2-2010 by ImaNutter]

I have a pretty long list of activities that are derived from my white heritage. Should I be justified in claiming that people of any other color are prohibited from engaging in such activities simple because I can trace them back to white roots?

Calculus comes to mind...No more black people are allowed to engage in any activity involving advanced math. How specific should I be? The automobile was invented by a white guy and driving was turned into a sport by white bootleggers. Black people should not be allowed to make or drive cars. White people should ignore stoplights.

Sorry if I seem combative but I really want to understand your logic. Maybe you have a really good point but I am missing it so far.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
i hope black people continue being staunch at "other cultures" attempting to do "black things" it only equal in an unequal playing field.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Ausar]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
and if black people were entitled to their own intellectual property; calculus would be a patented item.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
i hope black people continue being staunch at "other cultures" attempting to do "black things" it only equal in an unequal playing field.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Ausar]

Whoa. Are you serious?

I guess we'll be starting that ''Remove Tiger'' campaign in order to protect the White game of golf.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099

So based upon your logic, the only people who are entitled to enjoy any aspect of any culture are the members of that culture.

In that case, get all the non-Scots out of golf immediately, all the non-Canadians out of basketball, all the non-Brits out of tartan, all the non-Americans out of McDonald's, all the non-Mexicans out of the taco joints, all the non-Greeks out of the gyro joints, all the non-blacks out of the jazz and blues halls, take all the Louis Vuitton purses away from the non-French, get away from the printed word if you're not German, and please, please, for the love of god keep the fireworks away from the non-Chinese.

Can't people just keep their culture for themselves without all these interlopers muddying it up, learning from it, enjoying it, and furthering the human experience?

If the orignial premise is true and the reason the results were ammended is because of a racial issue, then this post is a great summation of where I stand on this issue.

The way the crowd acted towards the winners was appalling and there would be public outrage (the world over) if the roles had been reversed.

Are you all sure there isn't another reason for this and it's being portrayed as a racial issue to stir up tension, though?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
and if black people were entitled to their own intellectual property; calculus would be a patented item.

LOL. I know, I went to a high school that taught me that everything was invented by the poor black slave who was not allowed to learn to read. No other color invented anything, it was all done by slaves in America during that short period of history.

You are deluded but I know exactly where that comes from so I forgive you. The fact that you are on ATS though and would say something so stupid without at least making an attempt to provide some evidence of what you claim says more about you than anything though.

Enjoy ignorance as I see it fits well.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Wow - this sort of dance looks so close to Celtic that to me - it is no wonder maybe some white girls won?

Why is this considered African Tribal?

Why would people think white folks can't do this sort of thing?
Micheal Flatly anyone?

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-2-2010 by hadriana]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The part that sickens me: On cokes website: They denied the Zeta Tau Alphas even any pictures. Nothing. Anywhere. In videos they show the co-winning team celebrating. But not a hint nor peep in regards to the judges choice.

Suppose I shall be a Pepsi purist from here on.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

The trouble is actually, that everyone is "acting like humans"....
Until we all go beyond the physical acceptance of reality we all "humans" will continue to judge all things based upon visuals. The eye of a human is the quickest link to primative thoughts. Thoughts based on what one sees are ususally inaccurate and based strictly on a humans conditioning during the jouney of "life". ie: the influence of family and society.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

So would the word aks.something to be proud of no doubt.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
removed, as i just noticed the title said winners cant be white .. (this was a long reply too) ...

i never realised this was a case of "possitive descrimination"

those zeta girls kicked absolute ass, and the beats (human made) were out of this world!

i know nothing about step, but deplore racisim!

DAM YOU MISLEADING THREAD TITLES! lol

[edit on 26-2-2010 by boaby_phet]

[edit on 26-2-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Sprite and Coca-Cola are corporations known for their advertisement targeting of "urban" or "black" peoples. (remember the Sprite "obey your thirst" ones with the black hip hop 6 inch doll "SHOW EM MY MOTTO!"?)

Then said corporation sponsors a dance competition that is believed by most to be a predominantly black activity, mostly blacks participate and watch, and then first place is awarded to the minority of whites......

Two conspiracies come to my mind here.

First, the judges have been led to believe that they will be helping race relations by bestowing first place on the minority. A belief that has been around for some time and even written into law in the form of "afirmative action".

Second, TPTB have created a perpetual motion machine of sorts that continualy churns out situations like this in the attempt to anger the people of this country on an almost subconcious level against any one not of their own race. All the while keeping the different peoples divided and primed for a civil war if TPTB ever want one.

If Obamas presidency was to be ended like JFK, do you think people would be in the streets crying or fighting?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
reply to post by Ausar

So would the word aks.something to be proud of no doubt.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by genius/idoit]

What kind of thing is that to say during Black History Monf?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Naw. White people call it "Clogging".. Or, "Tap", or about a hundred other names depending on which country in Europe.
If it's called "Step" on the other hand, then it's a cultural thing that originated in black culture. Ignore the similarities between all of them, for the name is all that matters.

Oh, also it seems anything that ever at anytime had rhythm is also a black culture thing.

As for the above comment on Calculus... Yeah, might want to look that one up

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

hahahaha

And how DARE I forget that only Africans and Native Americans were ever TRIBAL CULTURES. There were never any tribes in Europe, only clans.

Oh no, wait....that didn't come out right.

(For anyone that doesn't GET that...Celts were tribal, picts, Scottish clans are tribal like as well, ect., ect,.)

[edit on 26-2-2010 by hadriana]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join