It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca-Cola Agrees The Winners Can't Be White.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I agree this is clearly Black on White racism.
Coca-Cola has really messed up now.

The idea that Tiger Woods could not be allowed to win first place is a perfect analogy.

This is disgusting news and I do think it is related to Obama. There is a definite air of superiority.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptSplatter

Thanks for the definition of Step. I'm am a more enlightened human being. But I have a question, is there a problem with these girls winning the competition? If so what is it?

Glad I can help you out CatSplatter... I'll willfuly confuse sarcasm with sincerity at this point

In my opinion I think it's kind of disrespectful... given the caucasoid and African heritage... for these white fraternities or sororities to enter in the first place. No more, no less... take it for what it's worth (it's my opinion, so that would be = $0.00).

What I wish people would do is remove themselves from all bias, from everything they learned when they grew up, from everything they were born into... and just observe and contemplate things from a perspective outside one they already know.

Look .. if it really were just a dance competition... and all this stuff happened, yeah of course it's racist.

But this is a "celebration of black culture" competition... which makes it ironic that a white sorority won!

But in the end... if the judges think their step routine was the best and they voted that they won... fair enough, they won. But I don't have to agree with them being in the competition. I think it's a nice gesture to at least acknowledge the 2nd place black team as a 2nd winner since this after all, was a "black culture kind of thing" competition!

I don't even really care... about any of this... I came into a thread where no one knew what the heck step was or is and said my piece and I got called a troll for it so whatever, it doesn't even matter. I've got no dog in this fight and I'm arguing with strangers over the internet... far as I'm concerned, we all lost lol

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

Originally posted by ImaNutter

This is a STEP competition. STEP has its foundation from African tribal rhythms and "dance" moves from rituals.

To compete in step, you would be competing in a competition of African rhythm and rituals.

What the bloody bell do white people know about African tribalism???

These white fraternities and sororities by the very definition of what it is, aren't doing step... they're dancing.

And this never was a dance competition. It's a STEP competition. So if you have no clue what the heck step is, what are you even on about?

I have to call you on this one Nutter.

I think that you may be wrong about step and it's origins.

This article is by Lawrence C. Ross Jr the author of The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities in America.
www.theroot.com...

This is a very calm and well thought out response to and opinion on this unnecessary hoopla this competition has caused.

In this article Ross Jr says:

Too often, black Greeks place too much significance on stepping, and overemphasize its historical weight. We claim that the stepping tradition was passed down from some ancient African traditions. (It wasn’t.) We claim that we’ve been doing it for nearly a century. (We haven’t.)

According to Philander Smith College president Dr. Walter Kimbrough, author of Black Greek 101 and the person who has done the most research on the origins of stepping, stepping is a relatively recent tradition, growing out of probate shows of the 1970s.

[edit on 26/2/10 by Horza]

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
This is disgusting news and I do think it is related to Obama. There is a definite air of superiority.

I'd call it a sense of entitlement. I watched both performances - and I have NO IDEA how anyone in their correct mind could say that the black sorority deserved the win over that white sorority.

The black sorority's performance was lack luster, boring. As if they weren't really "bringin' it". The white sorority's performance, on the other hand, was tight, enthusiastic, more variety, louder, better beats, etc. It looked as if they trained much harder because they really REALLY wanted to win, and it shows.

So for anyone to say they think the Alpha Kappa Alpha's (Tau) should have won, just sounds like they believe black people should be "entitled" to win regardless of the content of their performance.

It's not so much racism as it is a sense of entitlement.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Stepping or step-dancing is a form of percussive dance in which the participant's entire body is used as an instrument to produce complex rhythms and sounds through a mixture of footsteps, spoken word, and hand claps

en.wikipedia.org...

The rhythm in this percussive dancing has its roots (origins) in African tribal rituals and a lot of the black fraternities sororities have moves or rhythms that they call uniquely theirs or are recognized as uniquely theirs. So origins of the music/rhythm is different than origin in time when the fraternities adopted this kind of dancing to make it a celebration of their heritage.

Scottish people did step dancing too... and now we have Lord of the Dance lol. So if these white girls wanted to celebrate THEIR step dance heritage, they're in the wrong genre!

Edit to say also... step does seem to have taken on a new meaning compared to dictionary definition of step dancing, whether black people hijacked it or not. But walk onto any college campus in the United States and ask someone what "Step" is and they're not going to tell you Lord of the Dance!

+10 fictitious awesome points to you for not calling me a troll and making a real attempt at debating/talking about something here other than screaming racist racists dirty dirty racists from the rooftops.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by ImaNutter]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

But in the end... if the judges think their step routine was the best and they voted that they won... fair enough, they won. But I don't have to agree with them being in the competition. I think it's a nice gesture to at least acknowledge the 2nd place black team as a 2nd winner since this after all, was a "black culture kind of thing" competition!

I hope you understand what an inflammatory comment this is even if you do it with the best of intentions.

Your argument allows a race from excluding all other races from competing in an activity that they claim is exclusively part of their culture?

Can you see how big the can of worms is?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

This is a quote from your wiki source:

African American stepping finds its origins in a combination of military close-order and exhibition drill, and African foot dances such as the Welly "gumboot" dance. It also originally drew heavily from the stage routines and movements of popular R&B groups such as the Temptations and The Four Tops.

So the American military is the origin for steping ... god bless Uncle Sam ...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Thanks for the definition of Step. I'm am a more enlightened human being. But I have a question, is there a problem with these girls winning the competition? If so what is it?

Glad I can help you out CatSplatter... I'll willfuly confuse sarcasm with sincerity at this point

In my opinion I think it's kind of disrespectful... given the caucasoid and African heritage... for these white fraternities or sororities to enter in the first place. No more, no less... take it for what it's worth (it's my opinion, so that would be = $0.00).

What I wish people would do is remove themselves from all bias, from everything they learned when they grew up, from everything they were born into... and just observe and contemplate things from a perspective outside one they already know.

Look .. if it really were just a dance competition... and all this stuff happened, yeah of course it's racist.

But this is a "celebration of black culture" competition... which makes it ironic that a white sorority won!

I don't even really care... about any of this... I came into a thread where no one knew what the heck step was or is and said my piece and I got called a troll for it so whatever, it doesn't even matter. I've got no dog in this fight and I'm arguing with strangers over the internet... far as I'm concerned, we all lost lol

Haven't you heard imitation is the highest form of flattery??

Now on your opinion, well that's boarder line racist. Matter of fact that kind of "its disrespectful" attitude breads the racism your trying to combat. Ones desire to participate in a competition no matter the race origin is the earliest attempts by African Americans to be accepted as equals. The simple definition of race equality is the idea all people are equal and can join, believe, or do anything they want. ALL ARE EQUAL. I really don't think someone as articulite as yourself is not intelligent enough to know this.

As far as the "second winner", well that's second place, clearly where the judges think the competition was. These girls were chosen by the competition judges as the winner plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Whenever " Larusso" gets introduced into a thread to prove a point. no good can come of it.

That's the level of north-american STRESS, I'm talking about. This is a thread about ethnic issues, about AMERICAN ethnic issues and people can't handle with it, without take it to the edge. Why north-americans feel so hate about ethnic differences??? Why different ethnic groups can't live in harmony in USA?? I live in Brazil, a country with similar dimensions of USA, with the same ethnic variety and we had the same issues you americans had. Slavery of africans, extermination of natives, but after this karmic hell, all ethnic groups built a harmony environment, appropriate to life. We don't have this violent aggressive ethnic attitude, that can led to a domestic war anytime. WTF???

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Haven't you heard imitation is the highest form of flattery??

Of course.

Now on your opinion, well that's boarder line racist. Matter of fact that kind of "its disrespectful" attitude breads the racism your trying to combat. Ones desire to participate in a competition no matter the race origin is the earliest attempts by African Americans to be accepted as equals. The simple definition of race equality is the idea all people are equal and can join, believe, or do anything they want. ALL ARE EQUAL. I really don't think someone as articulite as yourself is not intelligent enough to know this.

I know it's gray area. For whatever reason, must be the brainwashing smarteye was talking about, I think there can be elements of exclusivity WITHOUT racism.

This for me has a lot to do about context.

I said I thought was a bit disrespectful ONLY because there is a unique history between us European mutts and those of African descent. We stole them from their home... the least we can do is not try to steal, even if its imitation, their heritage.

We took this continent from Native Americans... and we don't see European mutts out there during a Native American demonstration imitating them. And I think you could say that is out of respect. Respect of their heritage.

Surely we can afford the same exclusivity to heritage to black people, can't we?

I might be the only mofo left on the planet who doesn't want to see one race of people with one shared culture. I like that we are different and I have my own opinions about how things should/could be that will never be... and it's fun to get on here and talk about it.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I might be the only mofo left on the planet who doesn't want to see one race of people with one shared culture. I like that we are different

So your racist then?? I mean by definition racism means someone intolerant of another race or other races. Basically aren't you saying that you want all races to "stick to their own kind"?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Hey Nutter ... Read my previous posts that show that stepping is not as steeped in African history as some make it out to be.

In fact, it is no different to Hip Hop.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

So in short you believe that there are certain activities where participation should be exclusive and limited to a certain race? Sounds kind of Ku Klux Klansy me.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Negative. Call me culturist.

We are all human beings.

Over time, human beings in different parts of the world have developed different cultures.

Each equally and uniquely beautiful.

Celebrate and enjoy them all, don't blend them to the point that they're unrecognizable!!

People have free will to do what they want... although I don't share the belief that you should "marry within your race," there are people that are going to due to no other fact then they are separated by lands and oceans. Combined with those who don't necessarily believe in the idea that you should stick with their kind, but end up doing just that anyway. For instance... I think Arab women are incredibly attractive... because I like dark hair and dark eyes... but if I fail in my attempt to land an Arab hottie, and end up with a Euro mutt with dark hair and dark eyes... I guess I just "accidentally" married into "my own kind" didn't I?

It's a fact that we can have a worldwide philosophy that it is our God given right to marry whomever we please and STILL end up, due to an uncountable number of circumstances, with people "marry into their own kind."

In about 10,000 years (maybe sooner I don't know... I plucked that from thin air).. I agree that it is inevitable that human beings will be one homogenous variety. I think it's a shame not for racial reasons but for the beautiful diversity that can be found on Planet Earth as it stands right now and the loss of culture that would happen.

Even more reason to celebrate and enjoy the diversity while we have it!!

Not because one is better but because it is so different and new to everything you have learned or grown up with!!

[edit on 26-2-2010 by ImaNutter]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by smarteye

So in short you believe that there are certain activities where participation should be exclusive and limited to a certain race? Sounds kind of Ku Klux Klansy me.

LOL I wish I could fly you out here to spend a day with me so you could promptly recant on your ignorance.

First you call me a troll and now you're going Ku Klux Klansy on me? What a joke. Consider this the last time I waste my time responding to you.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horza

Hey Nutter ... Read my previous posts that show that stepping is not as steeped in African history as some make it out to be.

In fact, it is no different to Hip Hop.

Hey Horza sorry... I responded a bit ago but I don't think I used the proper quoting protocol.. it's up there somewhere!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horza

This is a quote from your wiki source:

African American stepping finds its origins in a combination of military close-order and exhibition drill, and African foot dances such as the Welly "gumboot" dance. It also originally drew heavily from the stage routines and movements of popular R&B groups such as the Temptations and The Four Tops.

So the American military is the origin for steping ... god bless Uncle Sam ...

Maybe this is what you were referring to.. my bad... missed this while responding to CatSplatter.

I consider it bad form for you to not even include the full sentence referenced in what you're trying to make your point. In the SAME sentence in which you're using to make a point they also say AFRICAN FOOT DANCING.

You were making a good point, which leads me to assume you're better than this.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Negative. Call me culturist.

We are all human beings.

Over time, human beings in different parts of the world have developed different cultures.

Each equally and uniquely beautiful.

Celebrate and enjoy them all, don't blend them to the point that they're unrecognizable!!

People have free will to do what they want... although I don't share the belief that you should "marry within your race," there are people that are going to due to no other fact then they are separated by lands and oceans. Combined with those who don't necessarily believe in the idea that you should stick with their kind, but end up doing just that anyway. For instance... I think Arab women are incredibly attractive... because I like dark hair and dark eyes... but if I fail in my attempt to land an Arab hottie, and end up with a Euro mutt with dark hair and dark eyes... I guess I just "accidentally" married into "my own kind" didn't I?

It's a fact that we can have a worldwide philosophy that it is our God given right to marry whomever we please and STILL end up, due to an uncountable number of circumstances, people "marry into their own kind."

In about 10,000 years (maybe sooner I don't know... I plucked that from thin air).. I agree that it is inevitable that human beings will be one homogenous variety. I think it's a shame not for racial reasons but for the beautiful diversity that can be found on Planet Earth as it stands right now and the loss of culture that would happen.

Even more reason to celebrate and enjoy the diversity while we have it!!

Not because one is better but because it is so different and new to everything you have learned or grown up with!!

I'm going to have to teach my dad how to be a politically correct racist like yourself, because his old school racism isn't acceptable anymore.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
OMG! The Sprite Step Off website doesn't even have the Whites pictured. They show the Black girls, but not the White girls.

RAYYYYYYYYYSIST!!!! They're completely racist bastards.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

I was being sarcastic ...

But in response to that ... do you know what the Gumboots dance is? Did you check it's origins?

Its not a traditional African dance

I was talking about this post ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check it ... read it ... and get back to us

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join