It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS reminds me of OMNI Magazine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Ever since I started posting it has been itching my brain that this site reminds me of something from my childhood.

Today when looking at some of Giger's work it finally dawned on me that it reminds me of OMNI.

Now anyone less than thirty probably never read OMNI. I read it as a child because my parents read it. It was a Magazine of science fiction, science, paranormal, occult, comics, and featured articles and artwork that was quite memorable.

Just had to mention it. ATS is the modern OMNI Magazine.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Somewhere I have a file full of full page art torn from Omni. Now where is that thing?

I'm more than 30.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I ate OMNI up. When I was a kid we had a subscription.

I remember reading about Lucid Dreaming, Nanotechnology and the others as early as 1986. They were well ahead of the curve and a basis for much discussion! Needless to say it got me thinking well outside the box that is outside the box at a young age hehe!

Edit to add that I remember also reading an article on multiple dimensions and how in the forth dimension a corner of your room where the walls meet the ceiling would have 4 lines versus 3 coming from the center. It really helped me perceive it all, prepping me well for the crazier stuff to come.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by Atlantican]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Yeah I agree it is the modern OMNI Mag.

Except ATS is better because you and I can post up our very own stories and share them with the world in just a few minutes of our time.

We really do take our Internet for granted, it is truly a marvelous device.

Maybe the thing we are missing around here is more artists?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Wow. High praise.

I was also a huge fan of Omni, and tried my hand at Speculative Fiction writing way back when. One of my stories was bought by Omni, but never published as a new fiction editor started just after it was accepted, and they began going with more name-authors for the short stories.

The story was -gulp- typed on an actual typewriter, so I don't have a digital copy, and lost the original. It's been recreated a while back, as best I could, here: The transmission of flight number eight

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Very cool SO and a nice read!

OMNI was awesome and it did have a precursor to user generated content with submissions and such.

High praise is due indeed as I remember tumbling onto this site long before I ever joined as the topics I was searching for weren't covered well anywhere else. Finally it was the John Titor stuff that forced me to join as the anonymous account of yore was rather limited. Tehehe!

There are other avenues out there but they speak for themselves, are not very well organized and could be best described as total chaos. The beauty here is that you've had simple rules from the get go. No other site could pull that off, going from chaos to proper moderation. In other words, I think this site will just continue to grow especially with that OMNI-esque allure. Speculation is sure a lot of fun!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

That is awesome...!

I am gearing towards a novel and I want to write it on a typewriter (transfer as it were)...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Speculation, discussion, and debate are the core mechanism from where our civilization derives it's progress. Our entire society is based upon a foundation of knowledge.

Many of the topics discussed around here are most certainly listed among the topics of highest importance to our civilization. And our future predicaments. (I admit we also have our fair share of "comical" topics as well.lol)

Our brains get much exercise from contemplation, questioning, and attempts at speculation.

Perhaps the majority of our species overlooks the basics, and even I admit I take it for granted.

But there have always been a group of society that did not take things for granted, whom choose to seek deeper meanings that were hidden below the surface.

This group of people created modern civilization. So do not be surprised when you find out the people creating tomorrow's world are posters among you here on these very boards contemplating and considering their next big ideas.

Is there a Edison and a Einstein on here? You betcha. So this is why I keep trying to be much more friendly and attempt to facilitate these people's strengths.

Like SO said earlier in another thread, this place was designed to facilitate each other's growth. So we have to adopt new defenses against overt attempts to undermine our hotbed of free thinking.

Atlantican makes a great point about OMNI being a precursor to user generated content, and I did not think of that earlier. I agree that the same initiative appears to be driving these developments and it is a pattern. A very promising pattern for humanity, all things considered.

The very existence of such things as ATS seems to be evidence that our species is progressing not just technologically, but philosophically. Such great scientists as Carl Sagan lamented that our species knew hardly anything about science and philosophical thinking, however things have changed.

People are becoming more Literate. Countless great minds are emerging everywhere around us.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I know! I used to love that magazine. My dad used to get it and I would always read it when I was kid. Sometimes it kept me up at night, just like ATS!

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The story was -gulp- typed on an actual typewriter,

Double

[edit on 26/2/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
it's funny that OMNI ceased to be. they were discussing ideas and theories in there that have only recently become mainstream.
like planet X, for example. it was first sighted in 1984(?), and then all reports of it disappeared.
or, the magnetic helmet from laurentian university that when worn, would cause the user to have an mystical/alien encounter experience.
i wish i'd saved all mine, but i always figured that the truth would remain, and the flotsam would float away.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
For those of you that are interested here is a link for Omni magazine archives, it has a lot of the art and some of the articles.

www.omnimagonline.com

Enjoy!

[edit on 26-2-2010 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
What a blast from the past! I'm in my late 30's but I do remember reading that magazine as a kid. My older brother had a stack of them in his desk drawer and I had to move the Omni mags out of the way to get at the Playboys he had stashed at the bottom. Needless to say, I read the Omni mags too.

new topics

top topics

join