It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists and UFOs, They ARE Interested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
There is a common misperception that scientists are not interested in UFOs.

The reality is that not only are scientists interested, they have been the main proponents of this subject since the beginning of modern UFO research.

To help them in their blue book investigation they hired astronomer, Dr. J. Allen Hynek. Hynek was not enthusiastic about the subject at the time. He was quoted as saying "the whole subject seems utterly ridiculous".

One of his most infamous debunkings was in March of 1966, when hundreds of witnesses in Michigan reported sightings over a two day period. Hynek suggested that some of these could have been due to swamp gas.

Eventually, after reviewing enough of these cases, Hynek began to believe that there actually was something more to the UFO mystery. He began disagreeing with the Air Force's conclusions on some cases, and once Project Blue Book was closed, was an open advocate of the need for further research into the issue.

Hynek's story is important because here we see that the first scientist tasked with the job of researching UFOs, once provided the evidence, became so interested that he devoted much of his life's work to the effort.  

Perhaps if more scientits are provided with evidence, they too will become more interested in this ufo phenomenon. What do you think?
en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I think it is obvious many scientists are interested in UFOs, but until something substantial comes forth there is not much we can do. Although I do agree that it is time a new committee is made to investigate the phenomena, but that will likely not happen.

Thanks for sharing...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Wow, where is my link to the Science dictatorship.
Science is locked up by the government.
In an open way we are allowed to lock up technology with patents.
However in funding one might run into problem of diminishing
returns like selling off a 51% controlling interest like Tesla.
But he had his reasons and didn't spend his own money only JP Morgan's.

Occult Science Dictatorship:

Now all weapon technology and others is reviewed for public release
by the office of scientific information.
So if a technology is needed to be occulted, or hidden, they see it
and stop it.

So there is no work in ufos except for the ones that own it now.

Nikola Tesla’s invention of the “electric flying machine” which was later to be called the “flying saucer” or “UFO”, is documentable back to the early part of this century, while his conception of it goes back to the 1870’s, during his student days at the Technische Hochschule at Graz, Austria. The idea of Nazi flying saucers is as old as the hills, beginning with the 1944 “Foo-Fighter” publicity, yet even this has remained somewhat suppressed because, though incomplete or incorrect as propagated, is a version which is revealing of certain scientific facts (the corona discharges) and close enough to the truth to point a skilled independent investigator in the right direction, and eventually toward the truth, provided he is armored with sufficient skepticism to traverse the precarious minefields (mindfields) of disinformation which have been laid on all sides. I again emphasize that all the ascertainable secret German documents and important developments came into the hands of the OSS/CIA at the end of WW II,

ED: Actually I wonder what happened all the people that worked
on some of the hidden technology. Apparently Papp and his
plasma engine might have been involved in one development.
Then the sub generator the had a 5 mile or 50 mile winding had
to say something to some one. UFO agreements must be met
as they do get soar and perhaps want their money back.

[edit on 2/26/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

What do you think?
I think as long as the world treats this issue like one big silly joke most scientists will steer clear of the entire topic in order to avoid ridicule and mockery. I don't know why it's treated as a joke (when it's plainly obvious something is going on, and there is NOTHING to be joked about, this !@#$ is serious!). It's as if we think we have all the answers, so sure that a highly advanced race has never visited Earth...because obviously humans are all knowing and their ability to see billions of years into the past is amazing, and our super long life spans sometimes lasting over 100 years
, how couldn't we be all knowing? Come on...

[edit on 26/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There is a big difference between aknowledging UFO's and suggesting that they are alien spaceships. I am interested in UFOs, and I am a scientist. Many scientists are interested in UFOs, they are just turned off by the ET explanation. Because the science fiction community has forced a connection between ETs and UFOs, UFOs are somewhat of a taboo subject because people assume you are talking about ETs. I believe that the evidence for UFOs is strong; I am convinced that there exist some real physical phenomena that cause people to report UFOs, and that in some cases the observations that people report cannot be explained by conventional means. I do not believe that there is substantial evidence for the ET explanation - but we can't rule it out. I think an unknown, unintelligent natural phenomenon, or human psychological phenomenon, is just as good of an explanation in many cases.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Hynek's story is important because here we see that the first scientist tasked with the job of researching UFOs, once provided the evidence, became so interested that he devoted much of his life's work to the effort.  

That's a good observation and I've often thought about that myself, that he must have found some of the evidence "convincing" to convert him from his skeptical views.

I also think a very esteemed scientist secretly researching UFOs shows that while there is some interest by scientists, there is still enough ridicule associated with the subject that they might be motivated to want to keep their interest secret:

Dr Linus Pauling Was a Secret UFO Researcher

You don't get any better credentials as a scientist than Pauling had, and he was interested.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Yes, I believe Scientists have or made themselves aware of the UFO/EBE (Hill abduction) reports since pre 1950 (USA).

Scientists then and possibly up 'till now and in some cases beyond, could lose US Gov funding for speaking out about particular UFO encounters or bravely-reported abduction cases.

This is not news. It may even be still effective for scientists and professors (E.G. Mack) working on EBE/UFO technological advances, financed in whole or part through Fed Gov funding.

Decoy

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Good scientist are curious about the world and are also open minded. The big problem is one of funding. Sadly unless a research grant is given for UFO research then it will be unlikely to happen. Most scientists are not well paid so self-funded research is unlikely.

T

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Every single black project craft that is hidden from the public eye, is considered a UFO to the curious eye. Therefore the scientists contracted by the governments have been in high interest for quiet some long time.

This could be applied to Germany during WWII with all other scientists like Von Braun and others working on marvelous projects such as "The Bell".

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Science will ofttimes rely on sponsors or patrons to fund the research and obtain the facts (desired results) and perhaps there are not enough interested parties or incentive to actively research and investigate the phenomena.

In other words...show them the money. Who profits from such a revelation? The world? Nice, but people need to be paid.
All scientist are not altruistic philanthropists. And we must also ask who profits, or whose credibility and control will take a hit from concealing information or discouraging scientific evaluation? Who will this information hurt? I'm betting on the church for one....

[edit on 28-2-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
Good scientist are curious about the world and are also open minded. The big problem is one of funding. Sadly unless a research grant is given for UFO research then it will be unlikely to happen. Most scientists are not well paid so self-funded research is unlikely.
T

Good point T - its also worth pointing out many scientists are employed by corporations or government so even if they had the inclination to investigate the UFO subject it would have to be on their own time and expense.

Theres an interesting paper below on the subject by Dr James Mcdonald and he makes some very good points about the inadequacy and incompetence of U.S. Government sanctioned studies into the subject:

Science in Default: Twenty-Two Years of Inadequate UFO Investigations

Close examination of the level of investigation and the level of scientific analysis involved in Project Sign (1948-9), Project Grudge (1949- 52), and Project Bluebook (1953 to date), reveals that these were, viewed scientifically, almost meaning less investigations.
Even during occasional periods (e.g., 1952) characterized by fairly active investigation of UFO cases, there was still such slight scientific expertise involved that there was never any real chance that the puzzling phenomena encountered in the most significant UFO cases would be elucidated.
Furthermore, the panels, consultants, contractual studies, etc., that the Air Force has had working on the UFO problem over the past 22 years have, with essentially no exception, brought almost negligible scientific scrutiny into the picture.

The Condon Report, released in January, 1968, after about two years of Air Force-supported study is, in my opinion, quite inadequate.
The sheer bulk of the Report, and the inclusion of much that can only be viewed as "scientific padding", cannot conceal from anyone who studies it closely the salient point that it represents an examination of only a tiny fraction of the most puzzling UFO reports of the past two decades, and that its level of scientific argumentation is wholly unsatisfactory. Furthermore, of the roughly 90 cases that it specifically confronts, over 30 are conceded to be unexplained.
With so large a fraction of unexplained cases (out of a sample that is by no means limited only to the truly puzzling cases, but includes an objectionably large number of obviously trivial cases), it is far from clear how Dr. Condon felt justified in concluding that the study indicated "that further extensive study of UFOs probably cannot be justified in the expectation that science will be advanced thereby."

Link

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Theres an interesting paper below on the subject by Dr James Mcdonald and he makes some very good points about the inadequacy and incompetence of U.S. Government sanctioned studies into the subject:

Science in Default: Twenty-Two Years of Inadequate UFO Investigations

there was still such slight scientific expertise involved that there was never any real chance that the puzzling phenomena encountered in the most significant UFO cases would be elucidated.

Link

I don't know if it's true or not that "such slight scientific expertise (was) involved", but assume for a moment that is true. It still looks to me like they could have multiplied the scientific expertise by a factor of 10, or more, and they might have explained a few more cases but many of the unexplained cases would still be unexplained. So if he's trying to imply that putting more and better scientists on it would have given us answers, I find that difficult to agree with, I think most of the unexplained cases would still be unexplained.

True there have been some fascinating cases but some of the "best" or at least most interesting cases have the least evidence. One of my favorite cases is the 1976 Iran UFO but I've never seen even a single picture from that case, so that really makes it hard to investigate.

So I think what is needed in addition to scientists looking at this more closely, is better evidence for them to look at, and that depends on all of us, the millions of people with still and video cameras to get some good quality images etc. It does seem to me like one type of evidence HAS improved, and that is radar. While still not perfect, it seems to be more reliable in recent years versus some of the older cases when radar wasn't as sophisticated as it is today. Now if we can just get some better video and photos....

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You all know the old saying " Yesterday: Science Fiction, Today: Science
Fact"..

I wouldnt be surpriced if many of the "Scientists" that accept the
possibility that UFO´s are in fact aliens would be making huge
steps forward..And i do say "POSSIBILITY" since we have no facts
that they ARE aliens..

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

The Macdonald report makes interesting reading. My Take on it was that there is certinly an indication of bad science at work. To omit certain key cases it at the very least startling. I do wonder about the USAF comand and control as perhaps there was a careful campaign to deliver a dubious report.

I also wonder about the risk of a radar-tracked UFOs triggering a false russian attack scenario during the cold war. The fact that UFOs were tracked on radar indicates that something tangible was flying around.

The problem is who would now fund impartial research?

Michael Dell is a UFO believer but would his funding research not lead to the criticism of bias?

T

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Scientists like making money to much to deal with this stuff.

I mean I would never take a gov job they dont pay, its like being a soldier and throwing your life away for little money and little reward so forget that. Well dont get me wrong gov jobs that are off the books pay well but not the legit ones, they pay crap!!!

Scientists time is to valuable to sit around doing random reading. Bring a scientist a UFO and they will be ecstatic. but to sit around like a tard wasting time is not the way of these superior specimens among the best that all of humanity has to offer.

new topics

top topics

join