It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Mentally challenged' posting on Alien ATS forums

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I created this thread to pose a discussion on some recent threads here that seem to have no basis in reality. From time to time a thread will pop up in the Aliens forum by individual(s) who swear they see aliens but post nothing but blurry non-descript pictures. This is not to suggest that anyone is being deceitful.

For many of these threads, the poster just seems to be seeing what he/she wants to, and after the ATS machine scrutinizes the data, the OP slowly comes back to reality. However...

Every now and then you will find a poster who refuses to face reality:

*SNIP*

I have witnessed this 'phenomena' on more threads than I care to count (mostly on Mars and Aliens threads). Refusal to respond to pertinent questions, posting vague, blurry photos, ignoring data, acting paranoid, non-sensical sentence structure/subject matter, etc...The behavior presented by such individuals is consistent w. Schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorders.

Growing up, one of my best friends developed the disease and often, these posts mirror the delusional nature of his disease.

As a disclaimer, I do believe we are being visited by ET life. But how do we draw a line here? Is putting these threads in the Hoax forum enough? I feel these people are mentally sick and need help.

MOD NOTE: Snipped reference to a specific member. We do not do that here at ATS.

[edit on February 25th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I actually would be interested to see a study done on the prevalence of psychotic disorders in those who follow conspiracy theories. I know when I used to spend most of my time on this site about two years back I started displaying symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia, but after a break from the site the symptoms subsided. I also know that researchers in the field have expressed concerns that studying conspiracy theories seems to produce paranoid mindsets in people as well as create delusions of grandeur. Unfortunately, any experiments I come up with to test whether researching conspiracy theories can produce paranoid tendencies are completely unethical and would never pass a review board.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You certainly have a valid argument. Now, to find a solution to the problem.

Well, after much thought and consideration I can't find a solution. You must understand that the weak minded, mentally challenged and just plain ignorant will always be with us.

Do not read a thread if it upsets you or you feel it is worthless. You do have that choice.

And just who is to say some of the far fetched stories don't have some merit?

Pick and choose what you put in your mind.

God bless those that are mentally challenged. I pray they don't suffer.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Do not read a thread if it upsets you or you feel it is worthless. You do have that choice.

Ban them, I say.

And just who is to say some of the far fetched stories don't have some merit?

Yes, I have strongly considered this possibility, but this is a forum of data presentation. If a person is sound enough to join this forum and make threads, they should be mentally able to present an argument backed by data, and at least address critical questions.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Ahh, this should be a interesting thread.

So, just to get the jist of it...if someone whom claims something extraordinary without solid proof of their claims is mentally challenged...

Welcome to a conspiracy based forum, where the concept is to put down claims and theories of extraordinary value with little to no supporting evidence.

If it had the necessary evidence, it wouldn't be posted here, it would be posted on cnn.com.

Frankly, I find about 3/4ths of the threads on ATS to be arguably paranoid and/or mentally challenged.

Cool avatar.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You Sir, are a bit hard nosed and I mean you no disrespect.

I have found myself in a conversation in real life and I wanted to tell the other person how ignorant they were. I am better now but was extremely intolerant of stupid people and we surely have more than our share of such people.

If we can deduce the author of outrageous claims with no proof of such claim then it is probably best to post ban them for a time. I'm all for giving them a second chance.

I despise a thief and a liar falls right in with such behaviour.

I have reconsidered my answer to your problem. I am so aggravated with liars now I believe we should hunt them down and put them in public stocks. Beheading was a thought but that is not nice and probably against the Terms and Conditions of this site.

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

its actually "Paranoid Schizophernia"

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

So, just to get the jist of it...if someone whom claims something extraordinary without solid proof of their claims is mentally challenged...

Not necessarily. You have either dismissed, or refused to read my original post before responding. In these 'mental' threads, typically; extremely poor evidence is presented with the continued ignorance of critical inquiry. Not always denial. Outright ignorance.

I will post an example of this shortly...

[edit on 25-2-2010 by NightVision]

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
As much as Im aware of the reality of Extraterrestrials and UFOs, Im also aware of the disconnect-to-reality and psychiatric conditions some people involved in the field have.

You are touching a sensitive and not-much-explored issue where it is uncertain where the line between craziness, subjective perception and experiential truth should be drawn.

I cant help you with the answer, because I dont know. What I do know is that anyone who has never asked himself if he might be "mentally challenged", is mentally challenged.

Good Luck

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Lol I like some of them, gives me a good laugh.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I always thought the mentally challenged should have posting restrictions. But sadly that would never fly with the mods.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I cant help you with the answer, because I dont know. What I do know is that anyone who has never asked himself if he might be "mentally challenged", is mentally challenged.

You make a good point. Perhaps we are all mentally challenged in one way or another. To be PC. I used the term 'mentally challenged' as a specific substitute for Paranoid Schizophrenia. Feel free to change the Thread Title if you like.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Not necessarily. You have either dismissed, or refused to read my original post before responding. In these 'mental' threads, typically; extremely poor evidence is presented with the continued ignorance of critical inquiry. Not always denial. Outright ignorance.

I will post an example of this shortly...

[edit on 25-2-2010 by NightVision]

Ive seen it before too;

The last one I remember was this guy who posted a picture of an umbrella and said it was a ufo;
There mustve been like 70 pages in the thread of people trying to tell him it was an umbrella;
and he just wouldnt listen to anyone at all

It was an umbrella sitting on the ground; and he said it was flying!!!!!

[edit on 25-2-2010 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well it appears people from 4chan have enjoyed trolling ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
That is a thread where the OP posted crap on 4chan himself and came back to ATS to post about it. encyclopedia dramatica has an article on ATS that pretty much goes into detail about how to piss all the members off. People are trolling ATS and the worst part is not members debating with them it is the nut jobs here that agree with them.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
So, some dude talked to an FBI agent today and they happen they watch ATS too..
Another poster just today noticed that some posters at Aliens and UFOs might actually be mentally challenged (like it wasn't expected all that time that one forum exists) and just by coincidence today it all came to him and he decided to make a thread about it and some other random dude swears that ATS got him schizophrenia but later he became well...after he cut reading conspiracies on ATS.

RIGHT...

[edit on 25-2-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
So, some dude talked to an FBI agent today and they happen they watch ATS too..
Another poster just today noticed that some posters at Aliens and UFOs might actually be mentally challenged (like it wasn't expected all that time that one forum exists) and just by coincidence today it all came to him and he decided to make a thread about it and some other random dude swears that ATS got him schizophrenia but later he became well...after he cut reading conspiracies on ATS.

RIGHT...

If I throw a stick, will you leave?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'll lead the angry mob everyone just make sure they have their pitchforks and torches ready then we'll cast'em out!

j/k but yeah i'am pretty sick of people who act like they cant openly discuss things without being abusive or ignorant some people on here claim they prove you wrong when in actuality they open more questions then nought and that gets aggravating especially when they wont admit to it!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

There's definately some actually medically crazy folks on ATS.

I can think of one guy in particular who is obviously a paranoid schizophrenic, and obviously needs to seek actual medical help, but you know ATS... suggest that and the post gets deleted.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision
Ban them, I say.

Not so sure that banning them is the right thing to do, but I do have an idea that might work.

The powers that be here at ATS could design a Avatar for known cranks. Something alone the line of a Believe-O-Meter. The more often someone is taken to task, the Avatar gets replaced with a higher level avatar.

This way, whenever we see the avatar, we immediately know to not take that person seriously or even skip over their post completely.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

"The real distinction is between those who adapt their purposes to reality and those who seek to mold reality in the light of their purposes." -Henry Kissinger

Source

Understand this man has been an influence on US politics for the past half century. Is it possible that what you perceive as reality has been molded by the people in power?

We are taught at a young age that in order to be normal we must "know" that there are certain truths. But think of it this way. The one who is colorblind with a red-green deficiency. They find it hard to distinguish between dark red and green colors, but not if one is light and one is dark in nature. Some even see them as being yellow or orange. But if you asked most they could easily tell you the color that is seen by most.

The idea here is that, how can someone having a wild imagination be called derogatory names and be told to seek medical attention? E.g., the movie Martian Child, is a prime example. Accept people for who they are, not who you want them to be.

Back to the Kissinger side. If we all had vivid imaginations as the one who sees an umbrella on the ground as a flying UFO, wouldn't it be hard to control the masses? Isn't that the ultimate endgame for these people in power, control?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join