It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOL Hoax Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
just too let u know there is an AOL EMAIL HOAX going around again

here is the layout of the email:

Dear customer,

We encountered a billing error when attempting to renew your AOL membership services. This type of error usually indicates that either the credit card you
have on file has expired or that the billing address we have on file is not current.

Please use the link below to update your billing information.

AOL Billing Center

If you feel this as an error and you want to discontinue your AOL membership, please disregard this message and call our customer service to cancel the service.

America Online Billing Department

� 2004 America Online, Inc. All Rights Reserved

AGAIN THIS IS A HOAX....NOTIFY AOL IMMEDIATLY AND CHECK BANK

gryff

[edit on 24-8-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 8-24-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here is a better idea. Move away from AOL :-)

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
well...that aint an option for me is it!!

Just incase anyone was interested in it and got the same message

sorry for tryin to help....ill just shut up shall i

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Ah, I got a few of those back in the day when I had AOL. Too bad I was young and fell for it.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Gryffen its good to post that. Especially for people like my mom who fall for crap like that. She once got an email telling her she had received an electronic greeting card and all she had to do was log in with her aol username and password to collect it. Naturally she tried and was not successful. Then for the next several hours she was unable to use her aol account because it was already logged on. LOL. Can you say pr0n spam? lol. She about fell for an ebay verification scam as well. People like her have no business owning a computer.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the warning. Dropping AOL is not an option for some of us.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I have a better idea... you may hit the cheaters' bank account with a large sum from an empty account, using internet (swift telegraphic) money transfer services, of course only for fee. I have found the lowest fee is $8, but could be cheaper... good game for those, who are being assulted due to online registrations.

I definately go the harder and more violent way... format c:

The messenger services are not familiar with me, just don't want to work out.

Just a suggestion to everyone dealing with popups... keep away from them! Very disgusting softwares can be downloaded automatically, which can do very bad things... :-(

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Since the humble beginings of AOL this type of hoax has been around, if people still fall for it, I wonder about them by now.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up Gryf !!! I appreciate it, even though I don't use AOL anymore !!

I'll share this with my co-workers as I know, some of them use AOL!!

good job

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Just to know... it has not ended that easily! If these guys don't find profit with AOL, they will move to other programs, or they create other "inventions".

But it is natural for them, they just want to feed their kids, and the Jaguar. Need money for that.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the information Gryff I'll pass this in to my uncle last I heard my uncle was on AOL thnks again cheers.

new topics

top topics

join