It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching/watched the health care summit??? Thoughts?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I am watching this right now on CSPAN.

I DVR'd it and I am 1 hour and 40 minutes into it.

So far Republicans have said "philosophically" they support the following...but in reality it isn't possible and they wouldn't support it.

- Getting rid of pre-existing conditions
- Setting up health care exchanges so individuals can group together to get group rates.
- Requiring insurance companies to have a mandated minimum coverage
- Limiting rate hikes
- Prohibiting insurance companies from charging different for men and women.

On all of these issues...they say they AGREE it is a problem, and they AGREE it is currently not right, but they say they can't support them because the solution is not perfect. They agree that some solution could be worked out...but they suggest that it isn't perfect because of some reason and so they won't support it.

Other than that...the republicans are being their old obstructionist selves. Non of them are staying on topic...each new republican that starts talking gives his own little speech and his talking points.

Nothing is getting done because they won't focus on a single topic.

And am I the only loser watching this
Hey...I have to be sitting here working anyway..so might as well...right???

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I find it the SOP of government in general. They want more control. They know TWO things, TAX and CONTROL.

I am writing here as I am watching the SHOW. I find the repubs and the doctor's on their side are kicking arse.

Of course the Dems have a lot of lawyers on their side.

I find it quite refreshing. Go get em Conservatives. I back conservative viewpoints, not the Repubs.

Hell, I could even back a slow pull back from funding SS and Medicare. I am sure I will get crap for that.

Sorry OP, I am going to include this link to my thread. It is a question that I thought of while watching the show-

In a capital based society, how much can we spend on healthcare?

S&F

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I have yet to hear the republicans offer any solutions to any of these problems...but I have only caught smatterings of today's discussion. For those who missed out on this, Obama offered an eleven page synthesis of ideas from both the House and the Senate.

He's also offered a proposal to limit and even roll back the obscene rate heights and (temper tantrums) instituted by some of the biggest for profit health insurers in the past few months.

What do the republicans have? Any solutions whatsoever?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

I have yet to hear the republicans offer any solutions to any of these problems...but I have only caught smatterings of today's discussion. For those who missed out on this, Obama offered an eleven page synthesis of ideas from both the House and the Senate. He's also offered a proposal to limit and even roll back the obscene rate heights and (temper tantrums) instituted by some of the biggest for profit health insurers in the past few months. What do the republicans have? Any solutions whatsoever?

WOW, you did not watch it but you have to include something from Obama.

My God, address the OP and quit pushing YOUR agenda.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

That's interesting. A large majority of health care professionals I know, and I know a lot of them are with the democrats on these reforms though I did hear one pharmacist grumbling and threatening to quit his job.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I really don't see republicans and the doctors doing anything except shooting down every single idea...even though they agree with them.

I have seen no solutions put forth from republicans yet...nothing.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Sir/Madame, I am reading about it and checking in at C-SPAN throughout the day. What else do you know about the republican plan, may I ask?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

No solutions? I find it hilarious that the Dems keep mentioning that their are things that the Repubs agree with them on, YET, they will not pass a bill on the agreed upon items.

To me, it seems like the Dems are the obstructionists in this debacle.

If they agree on some things, WHY NOT pass a smaller measure FIRST?

No, the Dems want a HUGE bureaucracy. That is their idea. They want a NEW and improved Medicare system for everyone. How are they going to pay for it?

Everyone keeps mentioning other countries. What other country above 100 million people has a health care system? NONE. Because you cannot do it.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have been watching it pretty carefully since the beginning...watching it on CNN however (they like to occasionally pop in with factcheck)

Ultimately I am concerned about a balanced budget. I like the Dems plan, and its nice that overall they incorporated every republican plan already, I am just sitting back wondeirng overall how things could be funded fully..I am not sure if the savings planned will equal an extra 30m people insured.

I quite like the giant pools idea independent of age, or current health...I do see issues with that though (aka, dont get insurance until your hurt), which of course means logically mandating insurance for everyone...sort of brainstorming this bit that encourages healthy young people to get cheap healthcare without it being forced on em. Hmm.

I am ultimately ignoring the partisan bullocks and am having respect for people addressing the issues verses talking generals whom are clearly just using this for posturing.

If anyone thinks someone is winning or losing this is clearly not getting "it"..no party nor individual wins or loses...its about how to deal with a car wreck...there is no winner or loser when discussing how to approach the victim, its about brainstorming to come up with the most effecting plan.

So...if you are sitting back with popcorn and rooting for a team, turn the channel back to football or play a video game, that mindset is the bit that is sinking this damned country

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm not really wishing for one side to win...I just want something to be done.

As I see it, dems have already given concessions. It doesn't seem like anyone is asking for a public option anymore (which I wish they would). It seems like they are willing to allow purchasing across state lines...but also acknowledge that with that you would need minimum standards of coverage (seems logical). And I suspect that they will cave on the abortion funding (which I actually agree there should be no public funding to abortions). If you look at my views...I'm not a party guy...I just want something done.

What frustrates me is when one side, I don't care who it is, is unwilling to work towards a solution. And right now that is the republican side...as I see it.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The Republicans are not offering any solutions, because solutions cost money. The Republicans are opposed to healthcare reform for a number of reasons, one of which being its inability to lower the deficit and the likelihood it will increase it.

Healthcare reform is a wonderful idea. It is exactly the type of initiative that should be brought forth when there is money to pay for it. Much like our other entitlement programs that are draining our country's money and forcing middle class Americans to contribute more than they have and more than they will ever get back. [note: my social security statement now comes with a sentence on the bottom that says: You will more than likely not be eligible for the above stated amounts by the time you reach the minimum age to begin withdrawing your benefits. We encourage to plan to provide for your retirement with funds other than social security.]

Now, I'm sure that they could come up with the money, but they haven't. Instead, Obama has waived his own policy of having to pay for bills prior to their introduction. Instead, he has said that healthcare reform is not included in pay-as-you-go. Again, he waived his own executive order to try to get this passed.

I actually agree with the Republicans on this one. All of the proposals sound nice -- so does a vacation in Belize -- but alas, we are broke and can not afford to provide this type of healthcare to 30 million uninsured right now. And the argument that we can't afford not to doesn't hold water for the people that will completely go under if faced with any additional healthcare costs right now.

There are people that intentionally don't buy health insurance because they choose to use their money for other things -- isn't that their right? How can anyone support any measure that allows the government to tell us how to spend our money and actually fines you if you don't?

It's not that we don't think every American deserves healthcare, but rather without the proper funds to pay for it, we don't think other Americans should have to go without even more in order to pay for it.

There is no bill presented that does not increase costs for certain groups of Americans. This time around though, it's not just the wealthy that will pay a boat load. Rather, it is also middle class Americans that are barely getting by now.

I think it stinks that people in this country go without health insurance. But I think it also stinks that those that have worked hard, saved money, remained employed, and HAVE health insurance should have to now go without in order to give it to others.

If they want to set-up a charity to collect money for those that need healthcare -- I would donate. But there's no way -- especially now -- that I would ever be in favor of additional taxes or any increase in my current spending.

Lastly, aren't you tired of settling for imperfect? All Obama has done is say: Well, it's not perfect but it's a start..... Imperfect has not worked for us so far.

Housing initiative: Obama said it's not perfect. Real story: It failed miserably and wasted billions of dollars.

Car initiative: Not perfect. Real story: Cash for clunkers has proven that the program did not increase car sales, but rather simply took sales that would have happened anyway and moved them ahead a few months. Those numbers were based on a diminished expectation, not on an increase over last year.

Jobs bill: Not perfect. In fact, not even done. Further, recent analysis says that the majority of jobs that were saved or "created" were government jobs. How nice. Bigger government. Fantastic.

How many failed plans does this President have to come up with before you people realize he is incapable of finding one that actually works!

How many more trillions do we need to spend before he remembers that he was the one that said our country is broke.

It's disgusting that they are wasting their time still throwing this bill around. More and more money is being wasted just to talk about it! It's ridiculous! Jobless claims are rising, home sales are down, and the world economy is about to tank.

Obama spent BILLIONS running ads to promote healthcare reform. Do you have any idea of how many Americans he could have just provided healthcare to with that money -- instead of giving it to the corporations to run advertising???? It's sick.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

its inability to lower the deficit and the likelihood it will increase it.

Does lowering taxes on the rich lower the deficit? Does starting wars lower the deficit? These are both things that republicans supported. But now you can't find a republican voter...they are all now "conservative". That's BS...just away for them to hide behind an agenda.

There are people that intentionally don't buy health insurance because they choose to use their money for other things -- isn't that their right? How can anyone support any measure that allows the government to tell us how to spend our money and actually fines you if you don't?

And so what is YOUR solution for when these people get sick and go on medicare and drain it? All this does is increase cost for the rest of us that buy medical insurance. If you are going to complain about it...then you better have a solution.

There is no bill presented that does not increase costs for certain groups of Americans. This time around though, it's not just the wealthy that will pay a boat load. Rather, it is also middle class Americans that are barely getting by now.

Do you have proof for this? Because the current bills give subsidies for those that need it.

aren't you tired of settling for imperfect? All Obama has done is say: Well, it's not perfect but it's a start

NOTHING IS PERFECT. So yes...i would rather have them do SOMETHING rather than do NOTHING.

Obama spent BILLIONS running ads to promote healthcare reform.

Now you are just being silly...really...BILLIONS???? You have got to source that ridiculous claim.

Nevermind...I'll give you a link to disprove you.

LINK

1 Billion total in political ads...that is for both sides. Most did go towards health care...but again...from both sides. AND most was spent from advocacy groups...not the government. AND it is no where near the record of 3.6 billion in 2006 under Bush.

So...care to take back that statement???

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm still watching this...the republicans are now talking about supporting a "high risk" pool for insurance buyers.

Can anyone tell me HOW that is a good idea? Eventually...everyone one of us will end up in that "high risk" pool with the higher premiums.

Does anyone support this idea?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Republican brought the bills out and Obama called it a prop and political theater.

A HUGE pile of paper they want to force on the American people... It was a brilliant move.

But the republicans actually used pages from the bills to make arguments, and the President seemed clueless, and his rebuttals were ineffective at best.

At one point an aid rushed to Obama and handed him a note, and that seemed to cause the President to concede the point... Priceless moment.

This was meant to place blame on republicans for the lack of health-care reform, but from what I have seen it really did far more to expose the agenda of the extreme left than ANYTHING has before it.

If this doesn't wake the American people up to what they are attempting to do with a major portion of the US economy and what it will cost them... Nothing will.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I saw pretty much the same thing you did.

I do not support the idea of a high risk pool. I thought the idea of a large pool was good.

From what I've heard, I like Obama's plan.

The GOP is opposed to health care reform and want to put a stop to it. They're going to do everything they can do to push this idea of scrapping the bill and starting over, but I think that's just a way to make it fail. If Obama does that, it would be the biggest mistake ever.

I really enjoyed watching the parts I was able to catch. I'm glad to see them all talking. I think a lot is being learned by both sides, even if it is that the GOP is not going to support anything Obama tries to do and that Obama isn't going to back down and scrap this plan. If that is learned, then at least maybe they can move forward.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I'm still watching this...the republicans are now talking about supporting a "high risk" pool for insurance buyers.

Can anyone tell me HOW that is a good idea? Eventually...everyone one of us will end up in that "high risk" pool with the higher premiums.

Does anyone support this idea?

I support high risk pools. The way I see it is that people that fall into that group are most likely to require more expensive treatments and more frequent medical visits. I do not want my money to go towards keeping someone alive for a few extra months. So if someone wishes to prolong their life briefly at a high cost, then it should be paid for out of their pockets. Otherwise, go gracefully into the beyond.

Now, I would like a strict definition of "high risk", as based upon my personal definition, not all people will end up there. There are people who live to ripe old ages and require minimal health care up to they day that they die.

Aside from that, I'm on board with the direction the Dems. are wanting to take this.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Okay BH, people keep saying the Repubs brought nothing to the table and that they will stop the Obama bill or the other bills.

So? They will not vote for things that they feel will destroy our country or are against the Constitution!

The Dems have included a lot of ideas from the Repubs into their bills. BUT, guess what they did, they excluded the amendments the Repubs wanted and THEN put in the ideas into their bills!

Nice way to say that the Repubs are only about stopping the bill and giving them NO CREDIT for their ideas.

I find your comment spurious and obfuscational.

As for Obama's plan-mandating ME to do anything above and beyond the CONSTITUTION is an act of WAR against me and the rest of America.

Was he not sworn to UPHOLD the US Constitution? Oh wait, I do not know if he was. It seems that was screwed up. I guess just another mistake!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I watched about half an hour of it. My thoughts? That was half an hour of my life I'll never get back. It was a waste of time.

It was all for show. Neither side has any intention of altering their views or the plans they had going into it. As a perfect example, Obama had a great quote that's now making the rounds:

'I don't count my time because I'm the president.'

That shows precisely the mentality that he had going into it. He was there to dictate the terms and if the GOP didn't like it, well tough ****. Not that they're any better, but its also no wonder the GOP won't negotiate with him.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by vor78]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Now, I would like a strict definition of "high risk", as based upon my personal definition, not all people will end up there.

High risk would include anyone who has had cancer. I had breast cancer 7 years ago. When my husband lost his job, we couldn't get ANY insurance for me because I was considered "high risk". In other words, I couldn't get it because I might need it. Older people are also considered "high risk".

Big companies have LARGE pools for ALL employees of all ages and and circumstances. The premiums can be kept fairly low because of all the young, healthy people in the pool. So everyone pays low prices but everyone gets covered.

Here

State-sponsored risk pools are aimed at helping a small slice of those Americans: those who can afford to buy health insurance, but who are denied affordable health insurance coverage by insurance carriers because of a pre-existing medical condition.
Health insurance companies are in business to make money. They don't want to sell insurance to people who are most likely to utilize it.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
'I don't count my time because I'm the president.'

That shows precisely the mentality that he had going into it. He was there to dictate the terms and if the GOP didn't like it, well tough ****.

Not that I'm surprised, but you totally misrepresented this quote! I saw him say this and what he was saying is that Democrat and Republican Congress members get equal time. He is neither. His time is not counted against either side. Because he's the president, not a member of Congress.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join