Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Who are the real EXTREMISTS?

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
According to Dictionary.com an extremist is:

1. a person who goes to extremes, esp. in political matters.
2. a supporter or advocate of extreme doctrines or practices.

I hear alot of rhetoric about people who don't agree with the government are being labeled "extremist". It seems as though the media defines extremists as someone or group who resorts to violence to further their agenda or views. While true, I believe extremism can take many forms.

We are waging two wars on the other side of the globe that most people aren't even sure why we are fighting. Healthcare reform is being rammed down our throats without much knowledge of what is contained in this several thousand page bill. Jobs are vanishing and being shipped overseas daily. To me it's obvious that the people's voice is not being heard. I can't help but wonder who the real extremists are. Is it really someone or group living in a cave on the other side of planet?

[edit on 25-2-2010 by LuckyStrike]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
An extremist: Anyone whom has a different view than me.

That is the "common language" defination...at least within the political scene.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LuckyStrike

You want extremism. Try this on for size.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Does this seem extreme to you? Wonder why the peoples voice isn't being heard?

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

And what ideology would you be referring too? The lobbyists are certainly part of the problem, but they are not the ones who are writing legislation on healthcare reform and passing bills to fund these wars or am I missing something?

[edit on 26-2-2010 by LuckyStrike]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and some others you may know of (you see where this is going). Some pretty "extreme" bunch of fellas, and by todays standards "extreme Terrorists". The real question here is not what an extremist is, but whether or not some "extremism" is a necessary mindset to further the cause of Liberty.

I mean how does one argue the good that was brought about by these "Gentlemens" extreme viewpoints and actions. The only problem I see is that flame of "extremism" was extinguished and gave way to prolonged apathy which has time and time again given safe passage to tyranny.

When is it right to be a bit "extreme"?

Depending on your particular definition of "extremist" you may need not look any further than you next door neighbor or perhaps your own mirror.

new topics

top topics

join