It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darn it! California out to stop cussing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Darn it! California

www.thetelegraph.com

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California lawmakers have a history of trying to keep the state's air and waters clean. Now they're tackling language.

The state Assembly is scheduled to vote on a resolution Thursday calling for a statewide "Cuss Free Week," to occur annually during the first week of March. If approved, it would go to the state Senate for a final vote on Monday.

The rest of next week will be officially swear-word free if both houses approve the resolution.

The resolution by Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-La Canada Flintridge, was inspired by a South Pasadena teenag
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sandiego6.com

Mod Edit- changed title to match original story.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I believe that this is the first assult on the freedom of Speech that I have seen in a long time, where the Government is trying to regulate what we say. I also heard it on the news and will be following this story. Curse words may not be polite language, but they are protected under the First Admendment. So I am going to follow and if necessary see about getting it struck from the books.

www.thetelegraph.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I have two words for them [snip] you! Joking aside, apparently there are not more important matters.. Really unbelievable!

Mod Edit - Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I like how the image of California when I was growing up was one of freedom.

Go to California and cast off all the oppression of those other states.

As I grew older I realized most everything I ever wanted to have or do was either heavily regulated in CA or banned altogether.

Maybe the people in CA forgot what "liberal" means? Or they've just applied it differently as in "liberal use of tyranny"?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I had a friend who worked for a company who fined employees $200 per cuss word uttered. Of course the bosses cursed up a storm and they did not have to pay at all! This yet another example of our rights being less important/

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
California which is basically the epitome of financial problems is wasting their time trying to get people not to cuss for a week...and probably wasting millions on this as well.

Besides the obvious stab at free speech and removal of partial rights- this is ridiculous. Does no-one find it funny that these people are just looking for things to do instead of trying to repair their economy? Plenty of people without jobs and money in Cali but its more important to the good ol' government to stop swearing.

If we are going to stop swearing- how about we stop swearing in these goons that obviously lie and b.s. their way into politics. This man should be removed from his position for even thinking this.

I will say this until it happens- we need an absolute full flush/sweep of every position of power in this country. Clearly, the wrong people are in office. They truly belong in jail.

[edit on 2/25/2010 by AceOfAces]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
[snip] im moving there for the next six weeks!

And for a new job no less! Guess it will be a good indicator of the company, seeing how much they enforce this ridiculous policy.

Mod Edit- Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Are they going to set up a Quarter Swear Jar?

I better hit the bank for a roll of Quarters.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

This assemblyman needs to sort his DAMNED priorities out . California has much bigger problems than figuring out the ins and outs of an anti swearing week. Pathetic waste of time and money . I hope a bus T-Bones him on the way home. Perhaps that will bring a little perspective into his fantasy land.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

(Profanity in video warning)

I wonder just how long it will be until this happens?

[edit on 25-2-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Gosh Dang it all to Hades, those mommy scratchers want to take all the frikkin fun out of life. Stinkin pelasos! May their juevos shrink to the size of BBs. Hoto's!!

What's next....an euphemism free month?

www.walkingdead.net...

Well they can take that and stick it up the wazoo, where the sun don't shine!!

But what do you expect from Calif? Justa Bunch of Limp wristed weenies, light in their loafers.

Those mooks should get to work instead of spanking the kielbasa and bashing the sweaty ol' Nantucket trout.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Hahaa I thought of Demolition Man too!

But this thing, really that easy to enforce? No way... Good luck, good intentions can't make this sort of ingrained habit just go away, even for one week a year..

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
I believe that this is the first assult on the freedom of Speech that I have seen in a long time, where the Government is trying to regulate what we say.

I hardly call it an assult [sic] on freedom of speech, if they were to enforce it then yes that would be an assault. It's just a week of encouragement, like no smoking day, or national watermelon day or something pointless like that. What really grinds my gears is the fact that the state is failing, it is massively in debt with spending out of control and the legislature uses our tax dollars to vote on this pointless piece of garbage?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
They can not legally do this. Are they all brain dead? If I lived in California(Thank god I don't) I would cuss anyways just like I always do. It is part of the first amendment and that is above any of their stupid little week long laws.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I find this odd with the badeest *snip*! in Film as the governer of the state.

This guy sent a hidden*snip*You letter to congress.

Please don't circumvent the censors

[edit on 25-2-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Cursing is good for you, new study says. Really

www.healthzone.ca...

Dr. Richard Stephens, who led the research, said he got the idea for the study after watching his wife give birth to their daughter, spilling a slew of swear words as she pushed and pushed and pushed.

While stubbing your toe can invoke an unfettered stream of profane platitudes, it may also be an inherited guttural response from our hairy-backed ancestors when faced with fearsome predators. Stephens said that may explain why swearing is still in vogue around the world.

"We think it could be part of the flight or fight response," he explained. "In the volunteers who swore, we also found they had an elevated heart rate, so it could be increasing their aggression levels. Increased aggression has been shown to reduce people's sensitivity to pain, so it could be swearing is helping this process."

www.healthzone.ca...

I experimented with this yesterday, after stubbing my toe, the cussing worked wonders.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is a non-issue.

It's not binding, has no penalty or enforcement mechanism, and really amounts to nothing more than a warm and fuzzy to perhaps promote the idea.

This has no meat or teeth, so please tuck your outrage back in.

It's unsightly.

Love,
the KJ

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Maybe now, but in the future, whats to stop them from putting teeth in this 'agenda'! Absolutely nothing! These morons in Kaleeforneea have a way of ramping up the taking of citizens rights in a forcefull manner! They have no ethics!

Zindo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join