It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignore list suggestion: auto-expire and permanent options

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I wanted to pose this suggestion to make optimal use of the ignore list.

This suggestion probably doesn't deserve an explanation or proof for this additional feature request, just a lean towards "deny ignorance."

* The normal "ignore" button works as usual.
* The list pops up with those on your ignore list
* It lists their name with these options:
** delete
** auto-expire: 1 week, 1 month
* It defaults to permanent as it works now.

If someone selects "1 week" then the person falls off the ignore list in 1 week from the time the expire button is clicked.

If someone selects "1 month" then the person falls off the ignore list in 1 month from the time the expire button is clicked.

Yea or nay?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
wrong thread.

[edit on 2/25/10 by MrDesolate]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
[edit on 26-2-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I recomend the derek zoolander center for kids that cant read....good

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If you really want to "deny ignorace", ignore nobody, read all, accept those you disagree with or get annoyed with and carry on.

I personally think the "ignore" feature should be permenantly disabled to make room for something more obvious like a "fingers in ears la-la-la" smiley.

Same idea but lets others know your not prepared to listen and have chosen ignorance instead. Maybe people would then think twice before switching off a light eh?

Out of sight and out of mind is no way to go an a conspiracy site like this.

Sorry, but I don't agree with your suggestion. Kudos for having it though.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Is it just a lie to use the ignore button when someone has said some very... umm... indescribable horror towards another(s).

Besides that, found something useful about this feature to ignore and then deny ignorance.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas
reply to post by nerbot

Is it just a lie to use the ignore button when someone has said some very... umm... indescribable horror towards another(s).

Use the "alert" button instead to inform a mod if you think there's a problem with a post.

Besides that, found something useful about this feature to ignore and then deny ignorance.

The only thing you are denying is your opportunity to learn from others mistakes.

Denying ignorance is about refusing to allow a lack of knowledge. Yours or anyone elses.

How can you do that if you are actively encouraging "IGNORE"ance?

Consider what the word "ignore" and "ignorance" have in common.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have another name for the Ignore button.

I call it the Deny Reality button.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
How can you do that if you are actively encouraging "IGNORE"ance?

Guess there is always enough ads on this site to bring in revenue from other people that view this site while those of this site continue to ignore the concerns of newer users.

When the attempts to view this site become full of hate speech then it is only a wonder rather if this sites wants someone to still fill welcome to contribute or to lose impressions.

Consider this other post for example. With what you said above, you encourage and justify such activity despite their being a basis of a severe T&C violation that is not being handled (openly).

It's understandable for the mods to choose how the want to react on T&C violations. However, the alert button seems only worthy to build up a case -- not to merely alert about every post that seems unfit for this site (based on stated rules and desires).

There are only about 3 people on my ignore list, so please explain how that ignores the entire user population. Also, explain how such statements are made by a user that never attempted to contribute a thread, and why the being ignored would matter at all to them.

Then, let me know why the stars received on a post that has severe T&C violations are worth those points (note, I didn't point the post openly).

Actually, none of this "deserves" explanation, yet I just wanted to make it more obvious.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

reply to post by nerbot

Yes I almost used the ignore button once (aside from the time I just tested it to see how it worked). One particularly annoying troll was violating the T&C and I got tired of the ad hom attacks, but as nerbot said, I ended up using the alert button instead and not only did the violating post get deleted, but a warn popped up on the person who wrote it, and their posts got more polite and in compliance with the T&C after that, in which case I didn't need the ignore button any more. So in that example using ignore was actually worse, there would have been no improvement to the quality of the posts like there was using the alert button.

However, if that had played out differently and the mod had decided to not delete the post, and those ad hom attacks had continued, I no doubt would have used the ignore, at least for a while. And if I did, the temporary feature would have been nice, I agree. But I can't lobby for that feature too much since I've never really even used the ignore yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Guess there is always enough ads on this site to bring in revenue from other people that view this site while those of this site continue to ignore the concerns of newer users.

Err, nobody is ignoring your concerns as a new user, that's why we're discussing this.

When the attempts to view this site become full of hate speech then it is only a wonder rather if this sites wants someone to still fill welcome to contribute or to lose impressions.

If you ignore the purveyor of the hate speech and refrain from viewing their posts...everyone else can still read them and some may get an insight into that user that may enlighten them in some way. If you genuinely feel the poster is out of order and breakinbg T&C then the alert button SHOULD be used instead.

Do not measure your experience here by other members yardsticks.

Consider this other post for example. With what you said above, you encourage and justify such activity despite their being a basis of a severe T&C violation that is not being handled (openly).

Thanks..interesting reading, but can you point me to the "severe T&C violation" please. I think the post says what you don't want others to read, and even though it points to you, it is not a direct insult.

However, the alert button seems only worthy to build up a case -- not to merely alert about every post that seems unfit for this site (based on stated rules and desires).

If a post is in breach of T&C it gets dealt with.

Don't confuse your own personal opinions and feeling with the global guidelines of ATS.

There are only about 3 people on my ignore list, so please explain how that ignores the entire user population.

It doesn't and I NEVER even hinted at such a statement. I do hope you're not trying to put words in my mouth.

Also, explain how such statements are made by a user that never attempted to contribute a thread, and why the being ignored would matter at all to them.

Consider this.....a post by someone you don't like causes you to put them on your ignore list......They then post something absolutely amazing that ATS members discuss....and YOU haven't a clue what everyone is talking about because you don't get to read that original members posts anymore. THAT'S ignorance and was a choice you made personally.

Then, let me know why the stars received on a post that has severe T&C violations are worth those points (note, I didn't point the post openly).

Sometimes people say what they really feel in one of their posts. Starring that post is the other members way of agreeing without rocking the boat themselves.

The truth sometimes hurts.

Actually, none of this "deserves" explanation, yet I just wanted to make it more obvious.

Sometimes, what may seem like a good idea to some may not have been considered from more than one perspective which is what makes this place so good when it comes to sharing opinions with explanation.

You see a way of ignoring people and controlling how long for, others recognise the pitfalls with the whole business of "ignoring". Everyone here "deserves" to be able to explain their opinions on the subject YOU brought up. Or did you just expect to have your own personal ATS with a quick "can I have..."?

If you truly wish to ignore some of what you see here then you cannot say you are trying your best to "Deny Ignorance" which is why some of us are here.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Consider this other post for example. With what you said above, you encourage and justify such activity despite their being a basis of a severe T&C violation

If you think that post is in violation of the Terms and Conditions, I earnestly encourage you to alert a moderator. You may learn something to your profit concerning sauce, geese and ganders.

[edit on 27/2/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I said I only have about 3 on the ignore list.

Do you want me to take one off in order to put you on it?

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I've never really even used the ignore yet.

I thought I hardly used it also until I finally realized where the "manage your ignore list" is at. The first surely had a good reason to go on, as even the mods deleted the entire thread.

The second was not a knee-jerk reaction yet there is enough experience from other sites that it was well deserved to turn a blind eye.

The third was something I forgot by now yet it was similar to turn a blind eye before it became something where I would be put on other people's ignore list for what I would have to say about it.

Later, I finally the button to manage it. Then I removed extras and forgot which one above was which.

Now, I wonder if I use the ignore button again which one above comes off the list.

Deny Ignorance of Justice if you dare.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Now, I wonder if I use the ignore button again which one above comes off the list.

All of them.

Go on, try it.......clear any members on ignore, alert when someone breaks the T&C and open your world of ATS to as many perspectives as possible.

Interesting....I dare.

So the purpose of ignoring members is for a feeling of justification for you?

This shouldn't be about "justice", but about filtering out the absolutely pointless repeated posting of certain members who have absolutely nothing to contribute.....of which there are very few because sooner or later the intelligence and vigilance of staff and members catches them out so they a: change their tune and contribute in a better fashion when they realise it's not all about fun, games and saying anything without thinking first, or b: don't post on ATS and find somewhere else they can satisfy their shallow satisfactions, youtube for instance.

Ignoring should be a last resort when discussion, intervention and good old fashioned tolerance and understanding have failed.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
While I do not have anyone on ignore, I think it is actually a pretty good idea.

It's an amicable way for those who cannot compromise to spare other members the pain of an all-out trolling and hacking war.

I personally don't agree with either of the Ignore or Foe features of this website. But I know many members do.

So since it is a pretty good idea and does not effect anyone else, why not?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
All of them.

Go on, try it.......clear any members on ignore, alert when someone breaks the T&C and open your world of ATS to as many perspectives as possible.

Interesting....I dare.

It never stops.

So the purpose of ignoring members is for a feeling of justification for you?

That is for judges to decide.

Justices just try to keep the scales in balance.

This shouldn't be about "justice",

Judges typically don't like it when Justices ''have to'' step down because then they have to step up on their ''job''.

Ignoring should be a last resort when discussion, intervention and good old fashioned tolerance and understanding have failed.

All the riches in the world don't mean a thing unless we have it all.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dzonatas

Wow, you're WAYYYY out there aren't you.

Good luck with the ignorance.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Way out there would mean I wouldn't reply here.

I haven't ignored you.

You don't even know what you got until it is gone.

Deny Ignorance, and reply.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

reply to post by nerbot

Way out there would mean I wouldn't reply here.

No, "way out there" means I think you're hard to explain things to.

I haven't ignored you.

Why would you? You are one of my ATS "friends" now

You don't even know what you got until it is gone.

Especially if one chooses to add people to an ignore list.

Deny Ignorance, and reply.

OK, I'll reply by saying that to put me on your "foe" list and post a comment in my profile saying you don't understand why you're doing it is pretty naive.

How's that?

[edit on 27/2/2010 by nerbot]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join