It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate votes to renew Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Senate votes to renew Patriot Act

www.politico.com

The Senate Wednesday evening passed a one-year extension to the Patriot Act, a Bush-era homeland security law that has been much maligned by Democrats but described by Republicans as key to the war on terror.

Several key components of the law are set to expire Sunday, including wire-tapping, surveillance and seizure provisions. If passed by the House, they will expire on Feb. 28, 2011.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Wait what? Are you kidding me? I guess new boss , same as old boss. Important for war on terror? What terror? I guess we aren't getting rid of this ever. They will just renew it over and over forever.

And the dems who are basically against it , say "well we'd rather have it modified then renewed " Modified? What add more crap on them probably.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Fatality]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fatality

What what? Are you kidding me? I guess new boss , same as old boss.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Isn't the Senate controlled by Republicans?

...Not that everyone isn't controlled by the ruling corporations, but...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

If the Obama administration really had a problem with this , they would have struggled and fought for it's removal. On the other hand the dems say well.. you know we should have modified it not renewed .. i mean seriously.

Fact: None of them want it removed.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Fatality]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

YOU ARE WRONG... The Senate is run by the Dems... they have a hug Majority in the Senate...

But it doesnt matter Dems and Repubs are both the same.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Sure is , however if the Obama administration really had a problem with this , they would have struggled and fought for it's removal. On the other hand the dems say well.. you know we should have modified it not renewed .. i mean seriously.

Are you serious The Obama Administration and The Democrats run the Senate and the House.... What the heck? Please tell me your joking.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Fatality

What did anyone expect? As I've said for years, the elites in the Democratic party believed the exact same things about Iraq, Afghanistan, the War on Terror, etc, as the Republicans and would have taken similar measures had they been in power at the time. Their stance of the last several years on these issues has been one borne out of political expediency. That's it. Now that they're back in power, you see their true feelings on all of these issues in the actions they've taken.

You got played, folks.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I seriously hope the posters who didn't realize Dems control Senate, House, and White House are not US citizens. If you are from another country then I don't blame you. But if not, wow.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

My mistake , worked 12 hours im tired . i just had in mind something i read a while back about Scott Brown and dems losing their majority , but that was just the 60 seat advantage.

Anyhow thank you for making me aware !

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
TPTB could never get rid of the Patriot Act because then they would be slowly starting to give us back our Constitution and that would be unheard of. No, they want to continue to erode our Rights and our Freedoms.
It's surprising that they didn't add even more to the Act to take away even more Rights.
The government is supposed to be Of the People but in reality it is Of the Elite!!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Fatality

It happens, on the dems lost was there SUPER MAJORITY, That means they will need at least one Repuke to get the vote through without a filibuster...

Now as for the Topic, Dems and the Repubs are the same, Remember in September of 08, during the heat of the election, when it became painfully all to real then We were headed into big time trouble?

Well Bush got a stimulus plan together to bail on some of wall street, (remember McCain suspended his campaign) It passed by the Dems made a stink about it (even though they had the Majority in the house and senate) Now 5 months later Obama rolls out his 2 "Stimulus" Plans and the repubs make a stink of it, and the Dems praised... That was only 5 months.... See there the same side.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Government never gives up control once it has it. And government never gets rid of taxes once they start them.

Even voting out every incumbent wont change that.

Even closing down government offices wont change that. They just reappear under a new name to take up the same funds.

Government has to be treated like a Hydra. Its hard as hell, nearly impossible, to cut a head off and if you dont immediately burn the stump it'll just grow right back.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

What what? Are you kidding me? I guess new boss , same as old boss.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Isn't the Senate controlled by Republicans?

...Not that everyone isn't controlled by the ruling corporations, but...

Ooops. I was wrong about the majority (right about the ruling corporations
). ...Seems the D majority is just in question - and sometimes, they cross the floor?

Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., took the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat from the Democrats last month and broke the Democrats' supermajority in the Senate, Republican officials crowed that it was a repudiation of the agenda of Obama and his party.

This week, Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., announced he would not seek re-election, lamenting the hyper-partisanship that has prevented progress Washington.

Bayh is the fifth Democratic senator to announce his retirement. His departure means there are nine, possibly 10 Democratic Senate seats at risk in November and ushers in the possibility that Republicans could win control of the Senate.

President Obama Hits the Campaign Trail to Save Senate Majority

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Indeed. And what bothers me other than the renewal itself is the fact that they repeatedly said that they are against it , and now it gets renewed by the same people who were against it. Wouldn't surprise me if they would modify it as well on top of renewing it and take some other liberties away as well.
'

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think most of us can plainly see the flaccid partisanship game and it's tired game of rhetoric belying the effort to maintain the status quo.

Freedoms and rights, once seized by the Federal government are unlikely to be returned by the same folks who took them.

When the political party's machinery is stopped, so will this abuse of trust we call the "Patriot Act" (remember: "You're either with us, or your with the 'terrorists'").

As long as the focus of the system is to create the means to spy and intrude on those we are told to fear, more and more people will lose their 'assumed' privacy and other such Constitutional 'trivialities' which are meant to cripple the potential abuses of the Federal government intent on becoming a singular power in the nation - superseding that tenuous sovereignty of the individual states.

I would hesitate to agree that any particular politician or party is principally responsible. This 'architecture' of intrusion and suppression is corporate in nature. This shouldn't be surprising since the corporate culture has completely subsumed the government by infiltration and infection (whether by design or otherwise).

As George Carlin once said, "It's a club, and we ain't in it!"

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think we should do like the school in Rhode Island and fire all the bastards and start over.

That will never happen but a girl can dream.

This Patriot Act is gonna start the patriots to act one day.

Just my 2 pennies, not that it is worth much anymore.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

Should...doubt it will ever happen though. I wish they would at least stop with this nonsense. They say something and then do something else.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I loved this part

Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), in a statement Wednesday, said he "would have preferred to add oversight and judicial review improvements" to the act's renewal.
Well then, why the f#ck didn't you?!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by converge

Too busy planning the next war on terror
..I wonder where did the change go ..well i know where it went but thats not the point.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
There is no getting rid of the Patriot Act. It is here to stay, and no matter how much noise we make about it- it's going to be here tomorrow.

What really gets me in knots is that a good deal, not all "conservatives" have come out of the woodwork over the past year. What I mean is- there are some of us like myself that have been talking about spending for years.. Bush was wrong, just like Obama. The Patriot Act was widely accepted to begin with.. now it's cool to be "libertarian" or a "constitutionalists" and say that it infringes on our rights. IT HAS ALWAYS INFRINGED ON OUR RIGHTS.

With all that said.. I realize there are many here on ATS that have been down for this fight for a long time, I'm more venting on the new, ultra-hip activist that have sprung up in the last year.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join