It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS website mentioned to me by FBI agent today...ON A TRAFFIC STOP![UPDATE]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+159 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hey guys. As many of you know (good or bad, depending how you feel about my profession..lol) I am a law enforcement officer in GA, VERY close to Atlanta. Well today something occured that I had to share with the ATS community, because when it happened, the first thing I thought of was all these folks on here who get SUPER WORRIED and paranoid, will love to hear this.

Anyway, I was out on the road today dealing with some stuff I was investigating when I noticed a car parked in an area that appeared suspicious to me so I called it over the radio that I would be out with this car. As I got closer I ran the tag on my in car computer and it returned through NCIC as not on file. Well i noticed a white male sitting in the drivers seat and saw him look in his rearview and when he saw me he simply waved and seemed to not mind i was there. By the way, NEVER assume that gesture means he is non threatning! Well I approach and identify myself and ask for his drivers license. He hands it to me and while doing so I notice a badge in his wallet and on the passangerside floor board I see a binder with the FBI logo. Well I ask him if he is with the agency and he says yes and then hands me his FBI ID card...since badges are simple to copy.

I talk to him for a few minutes and come to find out he is in my area to speak to one of my counties biggest scumbags who has been arrested MANY times for various stuff. At this time I go run his name and confirm his FBI employment (yes, been around to long to just take his word and even ID as 100% proof in this new fangled computer age of fraud, ID theft, forgery, etc...)

When I return we talk about the person he is going to talk too. During our conversation he states..."Have you ever heard of a website called Above Top Secret. Com?" I laugh and say yes I have, and admit that I am a member. YES IT IS OK TO BE A MEMBER HERE PEOPLE....NO I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT BLACK SUITED NINJAS VISITING ME...NO I AM NOT AFRAID I WILL BE FIRED, TARGETED, OR SENT TO SWIM WITH THE FISHES!!! So, then we have ABOUT a 15 minute discussion about THIS WEBSITE. The agent told me that they DO frequent the site because believe it or not, there are many educated and informed people on here who DO give some great insite into all sorts of topics. He then said that he enjoys reading some of the posts where people feel they are being followed, stalked, etc...by the government, and in his words he says, "I just don't know where most of them dream up this stuff. At times you would think everyone on that site is paranoid about something."

After a few more minutes of chat, I give him his stuff back and we exchange business cards.

Well, I know it's not too exciting or anything, but the fact is yes ATS IS visited by federal agencies for all sorts of reasons...I just thought you all might like to hear about it first hand. As I said before, I am not afraid of being here, and I shared it with "the feds"...

Draw your on conclusions on why they visit, decide for yourself what they are after, but if you can help it, DON'T freak out to too much!!!

**UPDATE HERE**

Title edited per OP request

[edit on 26/2/10 by masqua]

Added link to updated post

[edit on February 26th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
S/F - and going to now sit back and enjoy where this thread goes.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

i bet this thread turns the paranoid eve worse confirming their DREAMS.

Nice to know this site has been noticed for its educated people as much as nutters.

this thread will turn in to a bashing against the OP or turn in to a ATS praising area...

+31 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

What did you tell him about me?

I want answers.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
Nice to know this site has been noticed for its educated people as much as nutters.

Agreed.

There is a lot of effort put forth by some of our members and I do think it is true that we are capable of some pretty good collaboration regarding a myriad of topics...regardless of some of the opinions expressed (which can be said for any group of online collaborators)...

+43 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

When I return we talk about the person he is going to talk too. During our conversation he states..."Have you ever heard of a website called Above Top Secret. Com?"

First, thanks for your service...

Second, no attack, but did you leave something out of your recollection of the conversation..? 'Cause it seems to me that the question about being an ATS member was rather odd...it didn't follow the context of the discussion as you presented it.

Two things - either you value your membership and peer approval more than most on this site and are looking for your 15 minutes, or it truly is a small world...

link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

Well, I know it's not too exciting or anything, but the fact is yes ATS IS visited by federal agencies for all sorts of reasons...I just thought you all might like to hear about it first hand. As I said before, I am not afraid of being here, and I shared it with "the feds"...

Draw your on conclusions on why they visit, decide for yourself what they are after, but if you can help it, DON'T freak out to too much!!!

Please enlighten all of us as to the "all sorts of reasons". I mean you just opened up pandoras box with that statement.

I personally think the FEDS use this website to guage the temperature of the population with regards to specific topics.

link   
Well we all know various sorts of high-profile types visit this site.

TV, authorities. writers/reporters, movie makers etc...

Now you must ask yourself...did this lowly agent have all the "answers" to why his agency is watching this site?

Because some posts are informative and insightful?

Or is that just what he assumes or has been told?

I DO know, if I was looking for early warning signs from "dangerous radicals within our nation", places like ATS would be a good place to sniff around.

As would any conspiracy site presenting such fringe ideas as many of those found here.

I agree with you...I also do not fear being here.

I fear way more "probable" dangers in life then "secret agents" reading my posts on a fun forum.

Star/Flag for sharing this fun story. It was interesting to read.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Mr Mask]

+31 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
why on earth an FBI agent suddenly starts speaking about ATS with a person who he has met just a moments ago? weird & bit creepy...

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The biggest thing to remember, and this was his point, was that ATS has ALOT of members all over the world. If a rumor, fact, lie, etc...is out there, SOMEONE will post it. That in turn will get others who MAY know more to state their claim, and so on, which COULD break open and give the absolute truth. It could be that whistleblower thing that just makes the walls come crashing down. OR, it could be something stupid, commented on by really weird individuals, and other then for entertainment, no one cares.

Bottom line is you have members here who are in ALL areas of life, career fields, cultures, education levels, etc...so it CAN definitly be a place worth visiting for them.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

Bottom line is you have members here who are in ALL areas of life, career fields, cultures, education levels, etc...so it CAN definitly be a place worth visiting for them.

The very same reason I use ATS myself.

Great point.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Excellent post S & F's for you... As a former Law Enforcement Professional this is good to hear, and I hope those that get a little to far "out there" will take this to heart. I especially enjoyed reading about the NCIC comeback, and the subsequent follow up by yourself, good to know we still got people out there who are on top of thing's. Hope the thread goes well, we shall see.....

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Well, that's definitely interesting, to say the least.

I had a discussion with a friend the other night and I told her, whether I were a law-abiding citizen, or a criminal, I would not fear the F.B.I.

We were having a discussion about the movie, Law Abiding Citizen.

'Law Abiding Citizen' Trailer HD

Before anyone says anything I almost went to Police Academy and changed my mind.

I see Law Enforcement as necessary, but feel I can do more, and make more money outside of any and all "agencies", based upon my knowledge of Government, Law Enforcement, and the Intelligence Agencies.

Our discussion was based upon many avenues of Law Enforcement.

People needlessly fear many Law Enforcement agencies, but I do understand it.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky
First, thanks for your service...

Second, no attack, but did you leave something out of your recollection of the conversation..? 'Cause it seems to me that the question about being an ATS member was rather odd...it didn't follow the context of the discussion as you presented it.

Two things - either you value your membership and peer approval more than most on this site and are looking for your 15 minutes, or it truly is a small world...

First, your welcome...Second, he didnt ask me if I was a member. We discussed a guy he is going to talk to about old cases. THEN asks me if I heard of the site. My guess is, he either wanted to know for small talk...yes cops and agents are human and we talk about ALL sorts of stuff...conspiracies included. OR the guy he was going to talk too, WHOM I have arrested before, may be a member here.....lol...that could make for interesting...he's not though, he is on parole and not allowed internet access...IF THAT GIVES ANYONE A CLUE OF HIS CHARGES....

As for the value of my membership...I simply am not scared to say i visit this site and post on here. Whats the big deal? NOTHING. I don't need 15 minutes, I get that everyday on the job...

SMALL WORLD...thats one thing the internet does...I can go see the pyraminds of egypt and never have to leave this seat...

+17 more 
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Agreed.

A few years ago there was a Member here whom is also someone I know in real life.
He works for our country's NZSIS (sorta like our version of a semi-alphabet agency).

He would often tell me that he and his colleagues regularly visited such sites as this for numerous reasons:

1. For a good laugh at just how 'out there' some of the opinions/theories being expressed were
2. Chances are - as you have mentioned - any 'nut' intent on doing something silly may well frequent these sites.
You want to catch fish, you gotta cast your line into a fishing pond.

As for experience of when ATS crosses over into ones work-life:

As some know I work within Mental Health.
Sitting in a Case Review one day the Psychiatrist discussed their assessment interview of one client.
This client was expressing exceptionally paranoid and delusional beliefs - and apparently was citing ATS as proof of such beliefs.
The Psychiatrist had checked out ATS and made comment to the Team in the Case Review that this site seemed to be quite a hotbed of delusion and paranoia.
Even going so far as putting in his personal opinion that sites such as this should be removed from the Internet as they feed peoples Mental Illness...

Sure as heck didn't mention in that Case Review that I moderated this site...

[edit on 24-2-2010 by alien]

link   

Originally posted by raivo
why on earth an FBI agent suddenly starts speaking about ATS with a person who he has met just a moments ago? weird & bit creepy...

Well background checks are easily done you know.

It doesnt surprise me that the FBI knows about this site, there are many excellent topics here, (as well as a lot of BS, but we members are good at picking that stuff out) with good sources. I dont think that they would post here though.

An judging by some of the anti-gay, anti-semite, anti-religious, racist comments here, is it possible they would be worried about some hate crimes or organised protest with the potential to become violent?

Just a thought

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a21df6001ecf.gif[/atsimg]

Well, I always thought it presumptuous to believe that the PTB would be interested in our little part of the world ... if this story is true (though I must admit to finding it rather odd that a complete stranger and an FBI agent no less would out of the blue start talking about ATS or nay other site), then I certainly stand corrected.

Hello FBI peeps!

link   
Good post and I think it is just a small world and nothing more. Not everyone is evil and keeping their eye on you. Not intended for the OP but the paranoid types that think this is a weird coincidence.

You should have mentioned the nut jobs that want to infiltrate Area 51 just to see the expression on his face.

link   

Originally posted by raivo

Keep in mind as I stated before, we DO have working relationships with the feds and they are just like you and me. Meaning, we discuss all sorts of stuff and issues when we shoot the bull.....

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This is very interestng. I wonder if the likes of MI5/MI6 check out this website as well? Pretty funny if they do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join