It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beautiful Bhagavad Gita

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
If you would like an explanation of this extremely powerful gospel, with an interpretation that’s possibly capable of altering the negative course of close-minded religious fundamentalism and dark political corruption in the world today, check out :

“The Philosophy of the Bhagavadgita” by Swami Krishnananda

www.swami-krishnananda.org...

[edit on 25-2-2010 by seasoul]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I like how you lump sum it that all 'out there books' are off-shoots of 'Bhagavad Gita', from GOD, and personally signed by Albert Einstein....

I mean from your post, your practically telling these three 'facts' like its the way that it is, and that nothing can be different from it. Trust me alot of those 'second-rate and pseudo-spiritual books in the new-age/metaphysical section' books have quite a huge amount of intellect and research involved.

Sure God and Albert may disagree... But until I meet either of them, I will assume their just... Dead. (Yes im such a weirdo, because I do not believe in some entity who has no even proven to me he/she/it exists, nor even gives a crap about one tiny insignificant world out of the multi trillion of them that exist).

Also, Albert is dead.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Aoxoa]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by woochow
I'm in the uk, and have looked an amazon uk to find a copy, but there are many - which should I choose do you think?

Make sure its something standard and not connected to any group such as ISKCON.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by lisa2012
I would like to know if this would be the book and translation I am looking for or if there is another suggestion .

Could I get an honest opinion on this .

I dont know - it looks fine.

I also linked to the entire original text in the OP.

There is also an original over at sacret-texts.com

My own copy is this one but it contains lots and lots of commentary and explanation that I sometimes ignore because its superflous. So there will be a verse and then several pages of commentary on that verse and most of the time I just go for the verses.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
As I recall, the main criticism about the Bhagavad Gita was that it is Hindi, and so, rationalizes the caste system and other social injustices.

The caste-system is, imo human-created ugliness come about by gross mis-interpretation of the Vedas. In any case, I couldnt find anything in the Gita that would point in that direction.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by m khan
There is nothing in what you said that could offend a Christian or a Moslem.

I deliberately chose only passages that would offend the least amount of people.

Hinduism is versatile/vast enough to either accomodate or offend Christians, Muslims and Atheists. I could easily find passages that would delight or offend either. At the end of the day its up to the individual to take that which resonates and ignore that which doesnt.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thanks.

Anyway - it is a beautiful and wise book. I promise to go back and read it again.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by m khan
Anything that glorifies God has to be good. I think the Sikhs rejected Idol-worship although they revere things to do with the Gurus, but not like worship. Some people see the statues in Catholicism as idols. Some Moslems reject any and all pictures of anything except gourds and seeds and Arabic handwriting.

Sikhs reject idol worship and guru worship. A Guru is needed in Sikhism but not as someone to worship, merely as a teacher. Also, some variations of Hinduism reject idol worship as well.

There are many similarities between Catholicism and Hinduism and thats an interesting field to google-up.

Hindus are generally protective of Christians and Muslims in their country.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gheybayten
the gita isn't so wonderful after you've read it a few times ... it has it's shortcomings.

1. it doesn't even pretend to answer the question why. you'd think that would be one of the first questions out of arjuna's mouth. why krishna, why in the hell are we doing this?

theer isn't much in this book that was written for the year 2000.

The Bhagavad Gita was a beautiful teaching in its time.

There is now a NEW TEACHING.

The question of Why has been Restated,as What is Happening?

www.beezone.com...

Being in His Presence felt like being in one of those Krishna paintings.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbmitch
The deities depicted in the artwork show blue skin color, I read that it implies the early Hindu gods had a copper based circulatory system versus homo sapiens that are iron based and knowledge about that ?

I really dont know, but it sounds interesting. If you're implying that some of these ancients were extraterrestrials, I wouldnt be completely averse or ridiculing to the idea.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aoxoa
I like how you lump sum it that all 'out there books' are off-shoots of 'Bhagavad Gita', from GOD, and personally signed by Albert Einstein....

No, the Einstein quote was just to give the book a boost because there are still many completely unfamiliar with it.

And it is true that a lot, and I mean really a lot of new-age-authors borrow heavily from the Vedas and call the concepts their own.

Trust me alot of those 'second-rate and pseudo-spiritual books in the new-age/metaphysical section' books have quite a huge amount of intellect and research involved.

A few for sure, but not as many as popular opinion thinks.

Sure God and Albert may disagree... But until I meet either of them, I will assume their just... Dead. (Yes im such a weirdo, because I do not believe in some entity who has no even proven to me he/she/it exists, nor even gives a crap about one tiny insignificant world out of the multi trillion of them that exist).Also, Albert is dead.

So what are your favourite books.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You know what is really sad...if I posted a similar thread praising the beauty and wisdom held within the Quran (and there is plenty) the thread would be full of hate, ignorance and uninformed prejudice within minutes.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
You know what is really sad...if I posted a similar thread praising the beauty and wisdom held within the Quran (and there is plenty) the thread would be full of hate, ignorance and uninformed prejudice within minutes.

Off topic, but if you start the topic I will not bash you or the Koran,

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

Try keeping to the topic of the thread please: The Bhagavad-Gita.

But just for the record:

Ive praised Islam and Judaism in this thread

and Ive praised Sufi-Muslims in this one.

without any such issues you speak of.

One other thing to note is that this thread is discussing a specific book from a philosophical perspective, not necessarily a religion.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Kinda is on the subject since the philosophy in the Gita is the transcendence behind religion...all religions.

But I will demure.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

The reason I say so is because many thousands of threads have gone down the drain with those religious and political issues. I posted this in the "Metaphysics" section in order to focus on the philosophy of that book itself rather than on talks about Muslims, Christians and Atheists that are of political nature. You know exactly what would happen to such a thread

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
For those interested in the subject discussed here please also read :

Mircea Eliade " Immortality and Freedom "

Free download :

www.4shared.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Free download :

www.4shared.com...

ty, I read that a long time ago, need to refresh.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

The Bhagavad Gita was a beautiful teaching in its time.

There is now a NEW TEACHING.

Its still just as useful today as it was thousands of years ago. There are 100 000+ people trying to plug their own particular teaching as "The NEW teaching" - but who knows how many come close to the quality of the original.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Thank you - what is it about?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join