It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All teachers fired at Rhode Island school!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A Rhode Island school board fired all 77 teachers.

Who is failing who here? Please read the article. Can you really hold the teachers responsible or is it
the parents that are failing their kids?

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

It is both the overpaid teachers who aren't willing to try a little harder and the minority of terrible parents who are too selfish to raise their own children properly. Hopefully they can replace these teachers with non-union teachers in order to keep the cost down and get better results in the process. You cannot ever expect the best quality work from a group of people who are over protected by their union label.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Sunchine

I agree with you completely.

Who is going to fire their parents?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

Sounds like most of their parents were a bunch of transient illegals. So maybe we should just deport the parents like the law demands.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Union Busting! I love it!

Unions started out protecting workers from abuse, now the Unions are the ones doing the abusing.

Maybe the teachers can reapply for their jobs based on their own merits?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Sunchine

It is both the overpaid teachers

I actually screamed, STOP, right there! Do you know any teachers? Most that teach at this level, high school, are NOT over paid! Part of the problem is that people who are intelligent enough to teach, and who would probably love to, decide not to do it because of the pay!

who aren't willing to try a little harder

Hold on a second, didn't the article indicate that some of the teachers would be willing to do extra work if they were compensated for it? Unless they wish to volunteer the extra time, they should be paid for it. Would you work an extra 10 hours a week for no pay?

and the minority of terrible parents who are too selfish to raise their own children properly.

Ok, I agree here. I will say that having raised 4 children of my own, and sometimes working 2 jobs, it can be difficult for parents to be more active in the homework department. But, teaching your children the importance of respecting a teacher should start at home. I consider myself to be a great parent, but I sucked at helping my children with algebra homework. I do expect my children to learn it at school, without extra help. Another part of the problem is the amount of children in most classrooms these days. Trying to teach 30 or more children algebra must be a horrendous task. Once again, most teachers DO NOT get over paid!

Hopefully they can replace these teachers with non-union teachers in order to keep the cost down and get better results in the process.

What makes you think non-union teachers will work extra hours for no pay, either? It doesn't sound that great of an area for anybody to want to work in, let alone a teacher that is not paid much. They might have to pay people more, to get them to teach at a school in a bad neighborhood. Also, sometimes you get what you pay for! Less pay, could also mean less qualified teachers, at best.

You cannot ever expect the best quality work from a group of people who are over protected by their union label.

Do you even know what unions are for? Obviously, you are anti union.

I'll tell you what will happen in the whole scenario here. Property taxes will have to be raised to do what you have in mind. That is where schools get their funding from, unless the institution is a private school. Then you still pay the taxes, and tuition out of pocket! There are going to be some really ticked off people at the level of income noted in the article!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Trying to "blame" someone instead of taking responsibility is the way people like it huh?
1) It's not the teachers fault if they are sincerely trying to teach
2) It's not the parents fault if they are sincerely encouraging kids to study
3) It's not the kids fault if they are sincerely trying to learn.
I'd say I could blame technology and society for kids failing at school.
People don't see school to be so important when they have role models like Paris Hilton who can barely count to 10. And the thing about school is that first of all: Kids wont learn a damn thing unless they want to. Sure, sometimes kids do want to learn but it can be hard, however, if they try hard enough they WILL learn. Heck, nobody taught me to read, I learned it myself, I learned mathemathics before I was in school. I learned english before I even had put my foot inside a school.
When I went to school, I learned more about those things, and other subjects. I had motivatipon TO. That's why I learned those things.
If you go to school and you don't know "anything", and you would want to rather watch TV than to learn anything, of course you're going to think learning sucks and thus form a "wall" in your mind to make it much harder.
When kids get older and they become teenagers, it becomes worse. Suddenly, you're supposed to start taking responsibilities and if you've already fallen much behind in the school system, it's a bit late to start catching up. So, it seems even harder than before, motivation stops.
What happpens? Someone blames parents or teachers.
Not learning mathemathics I can remotely understand, world is filled with calculators, you dont "need" to be able to count for yourself. Heck, you can type "what is 5 times 5" in google and get the answer.

If anything, I feel sorry for the teachers, probably having over 30 kids per class in there. You only need few kids that dont want to learn to make everyone "unable".

I'm not trying to say that it's the kids fault either, even though my writing may implicate that I think that way. I'm saying that you cant teach a kid anything against his/her will. And that, ruins the chances for those who want to learn but "cant", teachers cant focus on them because they are trying to teach Jimmy some basic mathemathics so Jimmys mother wont call the school just to harass teachers.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Klavier

Wow a nice use of logic to avoid blaming anybody in this. I would say it is one of 5 choices.
1. The teachers suck
2. The administration sucks
3. The parents suck
4. The kids suck.
5. All of the above suck.

If a kid grows up an idiot after 18 years of "free" education then somebody needs to accept the blame.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

They keep paying teachers more and more and the results do not get better for any longer than a year or so. The problem isn't more pay or nicer buidings, the problem is unionised teachers, crappy parenting, and lazy undisciplined kids.

If you put these same kids in a private school which could disicipline them and their parents they would excel.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Mr Sunchine]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Sunchine

Yea. PUT THEM ALL IN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WITH MEAN ABUSIVE NUNS.

Sorry, i just had to say that.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I guarantee you if they went to school with some old school nuns they would get better grades. Old school nuns were hard core.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
It goes deeper than that ... It's the SYSTEM.

In order for i.e. Wal-Mart (save money, live better) to function properly (make a huge profit) we need an army of uneducated robots, who will do the job for almost no money. Would any educated person with options in life work those jobs?

We do live in the Matrix, where some are just batteries, feeding the system. Without those "chargers" the system would not work. We can talk all day long about unions, illegal immigration, education, crumbling health system and so on, but ... As long as the guys on top don't change, the system won't change.

I'm not trying to blame the kids either who are stuck in the system. Once the wheels start turning, it's (almost) impossible for them to turn it around and get an education. TPTB don't want you to be knowledgeable. It's the ultimate weapon and armor against them.

This is straight from the RI governor's website:

Good Schools

Governor Carcieri is Setting New Standards for Teaching and Learning that Create "Good Schools" for All Rhode Island Students

Under Governor Carcieri’s leadership, Rhode Island is improving student results by demanding greater accountability and enforcing higher standards among students and teachers, investing in programs to enhance teaching, and targeting resources for schools that are underperforming. To continue attracting good jobs, our state needs an educated, technologically-literate workforce. Governor Carcieri’s initiatives and his emphasis on accountability will develop the types of graduates that employers look for in hiring for well-paying jobs.

This is from: wakeupwalmart.com...

A Substantial Number of Wal-Mart Associates earn below the federal poverty line

In 2008, the average full time Associate (34 hours per week) earns $10.84 hourly for an annual income of $19,165. That’s $2,000 below the Federal Poverty Line for a family of four. [aspe.hhs.gov...]
Last year, Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott earned $29.7 million in total compensation, or 1,551 times the annual income of the average full time Wal-Mart Associate. [articles.latimes.com...]

PS: Not trying to bash WM. It's just ONE example of what's really going on here. The system needs "batteries".

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm with Carseller4 on this one. The unions is at fault for much of this. Demanding more money for teachers and doing less and less as their demand for pay went up,up,up. Sounds like the teachers were raping the school of money all the while doing nothing to help the kids. If any of you have ever had to work with people in a union you know what I mean. Some of the laziest people that are in positions not qualified for.

[edit on 2/25/2010 by CaptGizmo]

top topics

join