It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maker of ugly SUVs to close

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

General Motors said Wednesday that it will shut down Hummer, the brand of big sport-utility vehicles that became synonymous with the term “gas guzzler,” after a deal to sell it to a Chinese manufacturer fell apart.

The buyer, Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines, said in a statement that it withdrew its bid because it was unable to get approval from the Chinese government.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is obviously a ploy by the liberal global-warming elite. Why can't I burn tires in my front yard? A sad day for America.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Aww shucks. A symbol of American brashness goes the way of the dinosaurs. Those SUVs are quite fugly and bloated (except for the H2 in yellow and/or orange). Give me a Range Rover anytime.

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 2/24/2010 by eldard]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
No wonder our economy is going down the crapper. it takes them this long to realize there is virtually no market for these ugly, uncomfortable and gas guzzling vehicles that have poor maneuverability in urban areas and zero ability off-road. and we have these people running our auto companies, no wonder foreign competition is killing us! im buying a hyundai

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thank you Jesus....no more Hummers or should I say fake Hummers.

Every time I saw one it reminded me of a box made out of used soda cans. I won't forget one in particular that was smashed to pieces at an intersection. All occupants dead on the spot.

There is already enough ugly in our world we don't need to manufacture such monstrosities as the Hummer.

Good riddance.

But then who am I to say...I drive a Toyota.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Good riddance. Our city's police department actually has a black Hummer that roams the city streets at night looking for violence etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I want a Hummer. I'd like a Hummer daily, a different color and shape for each day of the week. I'd like a fast one, a slow one, a quick one, a leisurely one, one driving, one in the driveway, and one in the garage. Don't know what you call the model, but I especially like one where you can take the top down easy as you go down the road.

I rented one once, didn't cost much. Decided it was nice for a short time, but who wants to live with the same damn hummer day after day. After a while it gets rusty and it's too hard to take the top down.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Dbriefed]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
So thousands more lose their jobs. I live in the county where H1s and H2s are built. AM General is the 3rd or 4th largest employer in a county where unemployment is ~11%, sitting next to another county where unemployment is ~15%, with another to the south that's at 12%.

While I, nor anyone that I know is employed by AMG and I've never been what you would call a fan of them, I hope you'll pardon me if I don't join in some posters' displays of jubilation.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I thought the rights to the Hummer were sold to an east Asian automaker? Or am I thinking of something else?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Graybeard

why should we have to buy crap cras to keep someone employed? i sympathize with the workers but there is no reason GM can't make a more efficient and useful vehicle, because while some people disagree, i dont think the hummers provide any of the qualities i look for in a car.

SyphonX

GM was trying to reach a deal with China but that fell through. I think the problem was the company could not get govt authorization but im not sure on the specifics.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzy Mandias
poor maneuverability in urban areas and zero ability off-road. and we have these people running our auto companies, no wonder foreign competition is killing us! im buying a hyundai

The H3T was voted 4x4 of the year by Peterson's off-road. I'll take their opinion over yours any day of the week.

I'd agree with that about the H2, however.

The H2 is stupid. I like the H3.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Ecidemon]

top topics

join