It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britian already using alien technologies ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I was watching this special on " Tanks " on TLC . It was talking about the best built tanks in mankinds history. Then they talked about a tank that was built by the U.K. thats' ranked the best of its kind. The metal it was made from made it the toughest tank ever. Accept the britian scientist who built the thing , refuse to give any information on what type of metal was used to built. And it has left many other world wide scientist wondering what type of metal it is. No other nation has been able to produce the same type of metal. I wonder ... snice U.K. is also known for alien flying saucer crash sites and such . What if they actually got their hands on one. And used it to built its' tanks. Other wise they wouldn't be so " sssshhhhhhhhhssss" about the whole thing . What do you think ?

Fox

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I remember reading about the british Tank armour I think you are relating to. The explanation I remember was that the brits had developed a technology for mixing Titanium alloys and ceramics together in Tank armour that had unheard of toughness. They were not forthcoming in explaining How thay were able to meld the two elements together - It's a secret.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Was the tank you're referring to the Challenger II made by Vickers?

I live just 1/4 mile from the Vickers tank facility on Scotswood Road. They used to have a Challenger II displayed in front of the plant, but I don't recall seeing that for quite some time now.

Any detailed information on the tank model and name?

Thanks,
Deep

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Hey! I saw that show to ... I think it was the challenger 2 ... not sure, name sound's familiar atleast.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well, you ain't gonna give away a military secret are you? Tank armour is one of those things that can sway a battle. You're not going to release your formula so the enemy can get hold of it and use it against you.
I really doubt the alien theory.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Ohhh is that the tank that gets its engine blocked with sand after 10 miles drive in a desert? And would that be sa80 rifle given to the crew that jams every tenth round?

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I remember an internet story about british armor that utilized high voltage to disrupt a projectiles kinetic energy... something about ionizing the tungston core.. sorry I cannot remember the link. Also, are you sure the armor was not reactive?:poed:

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 10:59 AM
link   
LONDON � An electric "force field" for armored vehicles that vaporizes anti-tank grenades and shells on impact has been developed by scientists at Britain's Ministry of Defense.

The "electric armor" has been developed in an attempt to make tanks and other armored vehicles lighter and less vulnerable to grenade launchers such as those used by Taliban and al Qaeda fighters in Afghanistan.

It could be fitted to the light tanks and armored personnel carriers (APCs) that will replace the heavy Challenger II tanks and Warrior APCs in one of the two British armored divisions.

The ubiquitous RPG-7, a rocket-propelled grenade, can be picked up for a mere $10 in many of the world's trouble spots and is capable of destroying a tank and killing its crew.

When the grenade hits the tank, its "shaped-charge" warhead fires a jet of hot copper into the target at about 1,000 mph. It is capable of penetrating more than a foot of conventional solid-steel armor.

The new electric armor is made up of a highly charged capacitor that is connected to two separate metal plates on the tank's exterior. The outer plate, which is bulletproof and made from an unspecified alloy, is grounded, and the insulated inner plate is live.

The electric armor runs off the tank's power supply. When the tank commander feels he is in a dangerous area, he simply switches on the current to the inner plate.

When the warhead fires its jet of molten copper, it penetrates both the outer plate and the insulation of the inner plate. This makes a connection, and thousands of amps of electricity vaporize most of the molten copper. The rest of the copper is dispersed harmlessly against the vehicle's hull.

Despite the high charge, the electrical load on the battery is no more than that caused by starting the engine on a cold morning.

In a recent demonstration of the electric armor for senior army officers, an APC protected by the new British system survived repeated attacks by rocket-propelled grenades that would typically have destroyed it several times over. Many of the grenades were fired from point-blank range, but the only damage to the APC was cosmetic. The vehicle was driven away under its own power.

Professor John Brown of the Defense Science and Technology Laboratory, which developed the "pulsed
power system," said it was attracting a lot of interest from both the British Defense Ministry and the Pentagon.

With the easy availability of RPG-7 rocket launchers, "it only takes one individual on, say, a rooftop in a village to cause major damage or destroy passing armored vehicles," he said.

Link - www.washtimes.com...

CHALLENGER 2 MAIN BATTLE TANK, UNITED KINGDOM

Challenger 2 is an advanced main battle tank built by the UK company, Alvis Vickers Ltd (formerly Vickers Defence Systems). Challenger 2 is in service with the British Army and with the Royal Army of Oman. The UK placed orders for 127 Challenger 2 tanks in 1991 and an additional 259 in 1994. In 1993 Oman ordered 18 Challenger 2 tanks and an order for a further 20 tanks was placed in November 1997.

Challenger 2 entered service with the British Army in June 1998 and the last of the 386 tanks was delivered in April 2002. Deliveries for Oman were completed in 2001. Challenger 2 has seen operational service in Bosnia and Kosovo.

Challenger 2E, the latest development model, has been designed for the export market and is suitable for harsh environmental and climactic conditions. The 2E has been extensively trialled in Greece, Qatar and Saudi Arabia and a production version is expected by the end of 2002.

ARMAMENT

Challenger 2 is equipped with an L30, 120mm rifled tank gun from the Royal Ordnance division of BAE SYSTEMS. The gun is made from electro-slag refined steel (ESR) and is insulated with a thermal sleeve. It is fitted with a muzzle reference system and fume extraction. The turret is capable of 360� rotation and the weapon elevation range is from -10� to +20�.

There is capacity for 50 120mm projectiles, including armour piercing fin-stabilised discarding sabot (APFSDS), high explosive squash head (HESH) or smoke rounds. The L30 gun can also fire the Depleted Uranium (DU) round with a stick charge propellant. With the DU round, the L30 is part of the Charm 1 gun, charge and projectile system. A Charm 3 system is under development in which the DU projectile has a higher length to diameter aspect ratio for increased penetration.

The gun control is provided by an all-electric gun control and stabilisation system from BAE SYSTEMS. Challenger 2 is also equipped with a Boeing 7.62mm chain gun, which is located to the left of the main tank gun. The loader has a 7.62mm GPMG L37A2 anti-air machine gun, mounted on the cupola.

SELF PROTECTION

The turret is protected with second generation Chobham armour. A nuclear, biological and chemical
(NBC) protection system is located in the turret bustle. On each side of the turret are five L8

smoke grenade dischargers, from Helio Mirror Company. Challenger 2 can also set a smoke screen by the injection of diesel fuel into the engine exhausts.

FIRE CONTROL AND OBSERVATION

The digital fire control computer from Computing Devices Company (now General Dynamics � Canada) has capacity for additional systems, for example a Battlefield Information Control System.

The commander has a panoramic VS 580-10 gyrostabilised sight from SAGEM (formerly SFIM Industries).

A laser rangefinder is incorporated into an intermediate assembly. Elevation range is +35� to -35�. The commander's station is equipped with eight periscopes which provide 360� vision.

The Thermal Observation and Gunnery Sight II (TOGS II), from Thales (formerly Pilkington) Optronics, provides night vision. The sensor is based on UK TICM 2 common modules. The thermal image, with magnification x 4 and x 11.5 is displayed in the gunner's and commander's sights and monitors. The gunner has a Thales Optronics stabilised Gunner's Primary Sight, consisting of visual channel, 4Hz laser rangefinder and display. The laser rangefinder has a range of 200m to 10km. The driver is equipped with an image-intensifying Passive Driving Periscope (PDP) from Thales Optronics, for night driving.

PROPULSION

The Challenger 2 has a twelve-cylinder, 1,200hp Perkins Caterpillar CV12 diesel engine and a David Brown TN54 gearbox, with six forward and two reverse gears. Second-generation Hydrogas suspension and hydraulic track tensioner are fitted. The maximum speed by road is 59km/h and 40km/h cross country. The range is given as 450km by road and 250km cross country.

CHALLENGER 2E

Challenger 2E has a new integrated weapon control and battlefield management system, which includes
a gyrostabilised panoramic SAGEM MVS 580 day/thermal sight for the commander and SAGEM SAVAN 15 gyrostabilised day/thermal sight for the gunner, both with eyesafe laser rangefinder. This allows hunter/killer operations with a common engagement sequence. An optional servo-controlled overhead weapons platform can be slaved to the commander's sight to allow operation independent from the turret.

The powerpack has been replaced with a new 1500 hp Europack with transversely mounted MTU 883 diesel engine coupled to Renk HSWL 295TM automatic transmission. The smaller but more powerful engine allows more space for fuel storage, increasing the vehicle�s range to 550km

Link - www.army-technology.com...

United Kingdom selects Raytheon-Lockheed Martin Javelin for Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon system

LONDON (Jan. 23, 2002) -- The United Kingdom Ministry of Defence has selected the Raytheon/Lockheed Martin Javelin Joint Venture as the preferred supplier for its Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon system program.

The Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon is about a $459 million (�300 million) program that calls for a weapon to meet the British Army�s requirement for a lightweight, medium-range anti-armor weapon system that will be in the inventory up to 2025.

The anti-armor program will supply the British Army with the latest man-portable, anti-tank weapon capability that can be used day or night. With a range of 2,500 meters, using long-wave imaging infrared technology, it will allow for deployment by a single soldier within a confined space. The Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon system will enter service in 2005, replacing the British Army�s current Milan system for use by the Rapid Reaction Forces, including the 16 Air Assault Brigade, the 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines, and other British units. The Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon system significantly enhances the firepower of light and mechanized infantry soldiers and enhances NATO interoperability.

Javelin meets all requirements for the Light Forces Anti-Tank Guided Weapon system, including military-off-the-shelf procurement to minimize risk and cost and 100 percent UK industrial participation. Javelin is a single, man-portable, �fire and forget� anti-armor weapon that is already in service with the U.S. Army and Marine Corps in operations around the world, as well as in Afghanistan with the Special Operations Forces of an undisclosed nation. Javelin is also on order for the armed services of several other countries.

The selection of Javelin will mean a considerable boost to the UK�s defence industry. Some 16 companies throughout the country have already been selected to supply components up to sub-assembly level for the system. It is estimated that over 300 skilled jobs will be created or sustained by the UK Javelin acquisition. The program will also entail leading edge technology transfer to some of these suppliers, including that for the advanced seeker. In addition, UK companies will benefit through potential future buys of Javelin and its upgrades by the U.S. and other export customers.

�Javelin will equip the United Kingdom light and mechanized infantry forces with the world�s premier
medium-range anti-tank capability,� said Col. John Weinzettle, the U.S. Army Close Combat Missile Systems (CCMS) project manager. �Javelin ensures a single British soldier or marine can defeat all known armored vehicles as well as conduct precision engagements of alternate targets such as bunkers, buildings, low flying helicopters and watercraft.�

�Raytheon, Lockheed Martin and all of our UK team members are very pleased that the UK government
has put its trust in us to deliver such an important capability to the British Army and Royal Marines,� said Michael Crisp, president, Javelin Joint Venture. �The Javelin system is the world�s only validated medium range fire-and-forget anti-armor system. I look forward to working with our world-class UK teammates to bring a combat proven, highly effective, low risk, value for money solution to the UK Armed Forces.�

�The United Kingdom conducted an exhaustive evaluation of all technical, schedule and cost aspects,�
said Howard Weaver, Javelin Joint Venture vice president. �Javelin proved its high reliability and very low operational, logistic and whole life costs. The Javelin Joint Venture, will provide the UK government the lowest-risk solution to meet its 2005 In-Service Date.�

Raytheon Company, which leads the joint venture, provides system engineering management and support
for the Javelin Joint Venture and produces the CLU, missile guidance electronic unit and system software. Work is performed primarily at Raytheon Missile Systems in Tucson, Ariz., and at other Raytheon facilities in Texas, Massachusetts and California.

Lockheed Martin provides missile engineering and production support for the Javelin Joint Venture in
Orlando, Fla., produces the missile seeker in Ocala, Fla., and performs missile all-up-round assembly in Troy, Ala. With headquarters in Lexington, Mass., Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) is a global technology leader in defense, government and commercial electronics, and business and special mission aircraft.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) is a global enterprise principally engaged in research, design, development, manufacture and integration of advanced-technology systems, products and services. The corporation's core businesses are systems integration, space aeronautics and technology services.

Javelin has been selected by Lithuania, Jordan, Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan.

Raytheon Company leads the Javelin Joint Venture (60/40 percent).

Link - www.raytheon.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The armour on 'light' tanks like the Warrior and the earlier Scorpion, was constructed from alluminium.

Doesn't sound very effective does it?

What they did was construct the armour in layers. By varying the direction of the grain of the metal and laminating the layers, they produced quite a tough armour.

It works because the different directions of the grain deflect the shell that is fired at the vehicle, causing the projectile to 'jam' in the armour instead of going through.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
i remeber watching a discovery channel special on U.S. current and future tanks.

They mentioned that the U.S. stole some british secrets regarding the metal strength. Perhaps this is related.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You may be thinking of the British Chobham armor. I believe that is a composite of titanium/magnesium alloy with some kind of super high strength ceramic. I also read somewhere of some materials manufacture process for similar metal/ceramic composites where the metal and ceramic are litterally "blown" together: IE, the metal and ceramic are sandwiched together between 2 shaped explosive charges. Upon detonation, the ceramic and metallic crystalline matrices are forced to realign subatomically bonding the two materials together on a molecular level.

Such a composite would have several interesting physical properties. It would among other things, allow a conductive layer to be suspended within the solid material, separate from the outer surfaces. This interior layer could be charged to form the electrical shield effect described elsewhere in this thread. In addition to these properties, overlaying the entire surface of the tank with "reactive armor" IE, shaped charges facing outward to blunt the impact of anti-tank warheads, such a tank would be almost impenetrable.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Of course, we use alien technology every day, for example, the microchips in the computers we use to access this forum. C'mon, we don't go from horse and buggy to sending probes to Mars in less than a century without a little technological push. Funny that the majority of these innovations seems to come from the one country with the most evidence of covering up saucer crashes, huh? Hmmm.....I wonder...

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have seen several of the Challenger 1 and 2 battle tanks at catterick, i can tell you that they are not made from anykind of alien technology. That particular armour has been in development since the gulf war back in 91.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
For starters, research "william cooper" and "philip schneider". 2 whistle blowers who were assassinated by the U.S. government for spilling all kinds of secrets about the alien and government alliance for advancing military technology since the 1950's (roswell crash). You can find numerous videos of them on youtube. That's a good start. Maybe then you might not doubt the "alien theory". Maybe....

heh

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Of course, we use alien technology every day, for example, the microchips in the computers we use to access this forum. C'mon, we don't go from horse and buggy to sending probes to Mars in less than a century without a little technological push. Funny that the majority of these innovations seems to come from the one country with the most evidence of covering up saucer crashes, huh? Hmmm.....I wonder...

Ohhh please,save the comedy for somewhere else...horse to buggy to where we are now HAS to involve aliens? you better thank the people that dedicated their lives blood to giving us what we have,and no *most* new things did not come from the USA...-

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i remember i was reading a book. (YES ME READING A BOOK!) about science-ey things in modern day life.
It was about how things in doctor who could be reality.
One thing was they were talking about how the daleks aren't effected by bullets. If you know the daleks, you will know bullets dissolve before they can effect and damage the daleks. And it is due to a sort of invisible force field around the daleks

They said that scientists were trying to use some sort of electrical energy to have the same effects for tanks. Is it possible this is what is being used with the tanks as well as a generally hard Metal?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i remember i was reading a book. (YES ME READING A BOOK!) about science-ey things in modern day life.
It was about how things in doctor who could be reality.
One thing was they were talking about how the daleks aren't effected by bullets. If you know the daleks, you will know bullets dissolve before they can effect and damage the daleks. And it is due to a sort of invisible force field around the daleks

They said that scientists were trying to use some sort of electrical energy to have the same effects for tanks. Is it possible this is what is being used with the tanks as well as a generally hard Metal?

top topics

join