It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SeaWorld trainer killed by killer whale

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gouzze
Well I started my own thread on this one but I didnt see this one... Do you think they will put this animal to sleep? I mean that is what they do to other man killing animals... It is a shame but animals like this are not meant to be behind a glass prison and now he is stamped a man killer.... too sad

I highly doubt that they will put an endangered species down. it's not like a home owner's pet...where it's a potential threat to society. It may not be a performing show whale anymore though...none of them should be!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I have never seen a video like that. I was upset at first becauase obviously the orca were toying with the penguin. While yes, it is nature, it was still heartbreakin to see. But the fact that the penguin hopped in teh boat and got away? That is the most amazing thing ever. I wonder how long he stayed there?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This story is sad. I am sad for the ones grieving for the trainer. My best friend is a professional animal caretaker. She worked at a decent zoo as a senior keeper for a number of years and has worked, rehabed, and trained all kinds of dangerous animals.

People who do this know that they can be killed at any animal. Want to see someone really impressive? Watch an elephant trainer. I watched this little 90 lb girl manipulate a full grown elephant. You have to have no fear, and be in control.

But they know there are risks. They never ever think the animals are "tame" and there is not only risks from attacks, but diseases as well. There are monkeys that are kept behind 6 inches of plexiglass because of the diseases they carry are lethal to humans.

They do it because they love it. And wouldnt' change it for the world. And absolutely would never want the animal to pay for it.

Apparently this orca has been in situations before. I think it is about time to be put to a refuge or rehabbed and let go. As they say in Finding Nemo: "Kids aren't meant to be kept in a box, kid."

My friend has been injured, and still loved those animals like relatives.

The person died doing what they would of wanted too.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Additional source contradicting CNN report that this occurred during training. Discovery.com says it was during a live performance in front of a "horrified" audience.

A killer whale drowned a trainer in front of a horrified audience Wednesday at a SeaWorld show, with at least one witness saying the animal leaped from the water, dragged the woman under and thrashed her around violently.

Distraught audience members were hustled out of the stadium, and the park was immediately closed.

The 40-year-old veteran trainer was one of the park's most experienced. It was not clear exactly how she died.

An audience member said a show was just starting when the whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off," Victoria Biniak told WKMG-TV.

SOURCE: news.discovery.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

i really dont understand the logic behind destroying these animals. it seems to me that we screw with them,take them out of their natural environment, and then get upset when they react badly. plus, destroying them doesnt really solve the problem, you cant bring the person back.

all rather pointless. it kind of reminds me of the childrens song: "i'm bringing home a baby bumble bee..."

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

You do know that much of the money raised at these parks goes not just into the pockets of the owners, but into research into ways to preserve and restore these animals to the wild?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ozzy Mandias

The rational behind it is this: Once the creature, be it bear, wolf, tiger, orca; discovers just how easy it is to kill humans, they'll keep doing it at every opportunity. Several years ago, a socalled researcher in Alaska was "living with the bears", and something went horribly wrong and the idiot was eaten by the bears. Several bears, the very same bears this guy was trying to "save" by living amongst them, were destroyed as a result.

Once they kill man, they're doomed.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The whale is being called the serial killer whale since this is the third death it has been involved in. The whale was never supposed to be a show whale, just a breeding whale.

They are officially blaming the trainer for this accident. The whale is going back into the performance venue some time next week to continue with business as usual.

There seem to be many parallels between this whale and Dick Cheney.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join