It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study: Children Adopted by Homosexuals Are 'More Prone to Suicide'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I dont need to. Fact is, gay marriage is pretty much illegal almost everywhere. Straight marraige is not. As is gay adoption by gay couples is way less than straight couples.

More straight marraiges than gay marriages. More straight parents than gay parents. The fact here speaks for itself

Children of Gay Parents

The article is based upon a new book from Abbie E. Goldberg, an assistant professor in the department of psychology at Clark University, that reviews more than 100 research studies about this very topic — how do children of lesbian mothers (mostly, as gay dads haven’t been studied as much) fare? Dr. Goldberg summarizes her findings — “These children do just fine.” She didn’t find any negative impact to children being raised in a gay household.

[edit on February 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I can tell by your quick response that you didn't even bother to read the study and just quickly dismissed everything just because you don't like the sources. Is that how we deny ignorance these days?

A biased source is not worth reading. Find a unbiased source then we'll read and study more.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Showbiz

Your attempt to equate 'The Bell Curve" with science, is like saying the comic book Spiderman is like The New England Journal of Medicine.

Fail

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

You are 100% right!

I pity the person who agrees with this rubbish!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
There are not many teens or adults around who haven't walked into their parents' bedroom unexpectedly and seen more than they bargained for

At least if the parents are heterosexual, the child has a frame of reference, based on movies, sculpture, paintings and other kids' tales

What must it do to a teenage boy or girl to find his/her same-sex parents engaging in sex ?

Or even to see Jamie and Oliver groping each other whilst tipsy at 'their child's' fifteenth birthday party ?

Then there's the oft-repeated maxim re: a child falling in love with/marrying someone very similar to the parent of the opposite sex

How's that work for kids adopted by homosexuals ?

How are the psychiatrists spinning that one, these days ?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by Violater1

I dont(SIC) need to. Fact is, gay marriage is pretty much illegal almost everywhere. Straight marraige(SIC) is not. As is gay adoption by gay couples is way less than straight couples.

I accept your statement inferring that Facts in this forum are no longer relevant.
How sad.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Parents who fight continually and cause mass amounts of stress in their kids lives? Cheating parents? Fathers who hit their mothers? Mothers strung out on prescrip drugs because her husband wants nothing to do with her?

Don't forget, homosexual couples face all these same problems - and more. I'm mean it's not like 'straight' couples have a monopoly on being dysfunctional.

Does that mean I believe this study?

Not saying I do and not saying I don't - the source - IMO is too biased.

peace

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Stop the press! Biased organisation in pays for study and gets the results it asked for shocker!!!

Seriously now....

Al Gore and the Global Warming movement gets panned regularly on ATS because people say they cook the books, create evidence and tailor things to their own needs.

And yet when the "National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality" produces a report that says "Children Adopted by Homosexuals are 'More prone to suicide'" people would have it that its been commissioned by a fair and unbiased source?

Really?

Thats like saying that Ted Bundy was a stand up guy because a report commissioned by "The National association of Bludgeoners and Stranglers (and part time necrophiliacs)" said so.

Agenda driven organisations produce agenda driven data and agenda driven reports.

Simple as that.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You know I think putting a straight kid into a family with two gay parents could almost be considered abuse. You know how it is when you watch TV and then all the sudden unexpectedly you see two guys kiss and your first INVOLUNTARY reaction is to vomit a little in your own mouth? Well that is what a poor straight kid would have to deal with on a daily basis.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Mr Sunchine]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

During his presentation, George A. Rekers, professor of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science at the University of South Carolina, said that “boys and girls adopted by lesbian and homosexual couples show a greater level of stress than that which is already generated by their status as orphans or children abandoned by their biological parents.”

Is it being claimed that this professor of neuropsychiatry and behavioral science has deliberately skewed his research ?

Is anyone prepared to state that, here or within science journals, etc. ?

Is there anyone in this thread whose expertise in this field exceeds and conflicts with that of G.A. rekers ?

If so, have you published your research and if so, where ?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by Dock9

As for 'love being love' .... tell that to the kid who just wants to conform and just wants a 'normal' set of parents

WHAT is normal? Divorced parents? Straight parents who hate each other and make it known to all? Parents who fight continually and cause mass amounts of stress in their kids lives? Cheating parents? Fathers who hit their mothers? Mothers strung out on prescrip drugs because her husband wants nothing to do with her?

Seriously? We are comparing gay parents to straight parents and trying to define NORMAL?

No. Dont think so. Straight parents have a plethora of problems that cause much more stress then 2 gay parents who love each other and are raising happy healthy kids.

I come from straight parents. And I can go on and on and on with stories on how they nearly screwed up my life with their crappy parenting and all their personal issues that affected the family.

There is NOBODY that will ever convince me that gay parents are worse than straight parents. I do not see this in the world we live in. Nope!

OK!! Now you've gone too far to even have one shred of accountability.

Geesh! I was just trying to talk myself out of the first reaction I had to this thread, which was "you mean they actually have to do a study to tell us that kids are embarrassed to be picked up from school by two mommies or two dads"? --- I was trying real hard to talk myself down like we used to do with people who were having bad '___' trips back in the 70's, and then someone has the unmitigated gall to state that children are better off with two lesbian or homosexual parents than they are with two heterosexual parents?

Talk about propaganda bullcrap.

Look I'm not going so far as to say orphans would be better off with no parents at all than with homosexuals; it's a sad picture on every level for those kids though.

I may have been born at night but it wasn't LAST night.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Bombeni]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Why don't you read the findings of G.A. Rekers, taking into account his area of expertise ?

Makes more sense than just playing to the gallery, eh ?

Then, if you still feel the need to say anything

why not direct your comments to people qualified to ascertain, as Rekers obviously has, that children adopted by gay couples suffer greater levels of stress than was caused by their abandonment and adoption ?

Take it to the source. After fully reading and digesting the source article which is linked in the OP

Edited to say Please Accept My Sincere Apology, Bombeni

I'm very happy to publicly apologise to you in particular, in fact

So much so, that I'll do so again

PLEASE ACCEPT MY HUMBLE AND PUBLIC APOLOGY, BOMBENI

It was the quote within quote that did it

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Kids understand it just fine. They have a frame of reference, if hate-filled people don't try to keep being gay underground. It's not homosexuality itself that is the problem, but attitudes like yours where homosexuality is somehow inferior.

You are the problem, not gay folks.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by davesidious]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

There are not many teens or adults around who haven't walked into their parents' bedroom unexpectedly and seen more than they bargained for

At least if the parents are heterosexual, the child has a frame of reference, based on movies, sculpture, paintings and other kids' tales

What must it do to a teenage boy or girl to find his/her same-sex parents engaging in sex ?

Or even to see Jamie and Oliver groping each other whilst tipsy at 'their child's' fifteenth birthday party ?

Then there's the oft-repeated maxim re: a child falling in love with/marrying someone very similar to the parent of the opposite sex

How's that work for kids adopted by homosexuals ?

How are the psychiatrists spinning that one, these days ?

1)You are quite naive. Just the same as if hetero parents arent open with their children, walking in on them can be damaging. It is up to each individual parent to discuss these things with their child.

2)To insinuate that ALL homosexual parents would not be open with their children is laughable

3)If you think frame of reference for children should come from media, i pity any children you might have.

4)Drunk adults groping in the presence of children is unacceptable, homo or hetero. And you are still ASSUMING that no homosexual parents would be open and honest with their children and the parents of the children they interact with.

5)So because their is some old cliche about marring someone like your mother(or father), you think that has ANYTHING to do with the upbringing of kids? Theres another old adage called an Oedipus complex. Do you want to have sex with your mother and kill your father? If not, you might want to rethink your belief in these old cliches

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Wow I really see a lot of defensive anti-gay comments on here which only makes me believe one thing.

As somebody who fails to see a problem with being gay, gay marriage or gay adoption for that matter, I am truly shocked by some of these comments.

If we base marriage solely on procreation then all sterile and childless couples should be found guilty of a crime and be forced to divorce.

Of course that is ludicrous because marriage is much, much more than having children.

Why are so many of you worried about kids seeing gay men kissing? It's natural because love is natural. I assume that these kids would just be embarrassed as kids from heterosexual families who see their parents kiss.

Also this is nothing to do with being PC, whatever that may be week by week. This is about treating all people as people and with all the dignity they deserve.

Now those of you who are so vehemently opposed to seeing men kiss other men may need to question exactly why that is.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Is it being claimed that this professor of neuropsychiatry and behavioral science has deliberately skewed his research ?

I think thats possible, don't you?

Lots of scientists with relevant qualifications believe in global warming and produce data and evidence of it.

You don't believe them though, do you?

What makes this guys work any more relevant than theirs?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

I have no problem with gay folk and in fact employed three simultaneously. They did their work on a par with anyone else: no better, no worse

And ... hold your hat here ... I paid one of those gay employees to take care of my teenaged children on a number of occasions when I had to travel overseas. We called him 'Aunty Paul'.

He was reliable and trustworthy and he and the kids got along just fine, apart from his stepping into the dog's water-bowl when wearing his prized snake-skin shoes, apparently, whilst cooking the dinner

Different kettle of fish to learning that children adopted by gay couples are rendered so depressed that they choose to end their lives and are exposed to stresses so profound that the child's height is affected

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Hey no problem, quite understandable. Like I said, I was having flashbacks just trying to grasp that they actually undertake a study to determine if kids raised by homosexuals are adversely affected.

Might as well undertake a study to see if fire is hot, or if water is wet.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

If you believe what you've posted

why not go public ?

Why not accuse the professor outright ?

huh ? Why ?

You think by 'implying' you can sling the mud without getting splashed ?

Go on ! Put up or shut up

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think maybe I have just come up with a solution to this problem. We don't we wait until a kid is say 5 or so and then decide if they are gay (since they are allegedly born that way). Then when we see a little boy running around wearing high heels and playing barbies or a girl running around being butch and domineering then we could place the little gay boy in a home with two gay men and the little gay girl in a home with two lesbians. Then everyone is happy and with their own kind and less trauma as a result.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join