posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
I vote for a little less sarcasm/scoffing and a little more real discussion (a radical idea around here these days, come on mods).
A few facts from the study to review beforehand:
- Because of the abuse, neglect, or tragic loss of parents experienced by children entering foster care, they have significantly and substantially
higher rates of psychological disorders than other children.
- A study conducted by Clausen and colleagues (1998) in San Diego reported that 61% of a sample of foster children had a mental health
- Harman and colleagues (2000) reported a study of 39,500 children on Medicaid in Pennsylvania, and found that “children in foster care were 3 to
10 times more likely to receive a mental health diagnosis” (depending on the particular diagnosis) and “…had 6.5 times more mental health
claims, [and] were 7.5 times more likely to be hospitalized for a mental health condition….”
Let's just call it a fact that the foster care system is broken and produces a severely higher percentage of mental health issues for children.
Cause 1 - The system itself.
Effect - Large Majority
As stated, a good amount of the stress comes not from the home itself or their life within it, but from society. Social stigmatization has always
been hard on kids, be it racial, sexual, or religious. Those classifications can be direct (child is said abnormality) or indirect (relative, parent,
or friend is said abnormality).
This is nothing new and has less to do with the quality of care provided by a homosexual couple than on the society applying pressure.
Cause 2 - Society
Effect - Minority
The cause that actually relates to the homosexual couple itself is that homosexual couples tend to have much less stability in their partnerships,
meaning they change partners far more often.
I am not sure this is true as entirely as it's presented in the study (which seem to have astronomical numbers).
among 574 white homosexual males,
• only 3% reported fewer than 10 sexual partners
• 6% reported 10 to 24 sexual partners
• 8% reported 25 to 49 sexual partners
• 9% reported 50 to 99 sexual partners
• 15% reported 100 to 249 sexual partners
• 17% reported 250 to 499 sexual partners
• 15% reported 500 to 999 sexual partners
• 28% reported 1000 or more sexual partners
These numbers seem skewed badly to me, but if they do tend to have shorter relationships, I certainly wouldn't put that as a major factor considering
the sheer number of single mothers and the stress that induces.
Cause 3 - Homosexuals (granting it's true)
Effect - Minor
All said and done I see no other serious factors to this discussion, and long story short, I see no reason to prevent them from adopting.
The foster care system is terrible pretty much anywhere you go, so I am far more for less foster care by any means.
[edit on 24-2-2010 by KrazyJethro]