It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study: Children Adopted by Homosexuals Are 'More Prone to Suicide'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

The source should always be attacked if it's bogus. As in this case.

Adopted kids, as has been pointed out in this thread, are already prone to mental issues. They've most likely been through hell many times. Now add to that the social stigma of being gay (thanks to kind-hearted folks like you who seem to thrive on pointing out how strange and dangerous it is), and you've got a powder keg.

If people wouldn't condemn gay folks for being gay, and treated them normally, then the stress and suicide rate for kids adopted by same-sex couples would be exactly the same as if they were adopted by different-sex couples.

The fact that the year is 2010 and this has to be spelled out to some folks makes me sick to my stomach. You are either lacking reading comprehension or basic critical thought, or have some disgusting axe to grind. Either way you should think twice before posting.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The OP is relaxed

I am relaxed

What's happening with the rest of you ?

Why so angry and defensive ?

Did you really believe the world agrees with two homosexuals being provided a child in order they could play 'happy families' ?

Well, nope. A lot of us do not agree with it

And your getting angry and defensive says you're not too comfortable with the situation either

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This article reminds me of The Bell Curve, a best-selling book released in 1994, where "science" is used to confirm racist beliefs. In a nutshell, the author Richard J. Herrnstein, an alleged Harvard scientist, confirms that racial differences in intelligence are genetic. The book also states that on average, Black people are generally less intelligent than other races, as shown by their inferior genetics. Scientific racism at its finest.
The OP brings to ATS an example of scientific prejudice. Homophobia is an ugly thing, as is prejudice. Using "science" to sway people's minds, this article brings to light the lingering desire to hold on to unjustified preudice in this world.

Am I to understand that being adopted by homosexual parents is worse than growing up in an orphanage or being bounced around from foster home to foster home? Or better yet, worse than being adopted by a crazy, heterosexual, child hoarding, adoptive single mother?

It seems that some are set on pointing out that homosexuals should not be treated as equals. To those people: Good luck with your prejudice mission. We are not going anywhere, and will continue to fight for our rights!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Showbiz

You can fight for your rights and good luck

But where within 'gay rights' is the 'right' to take a child born of a heterosexual couple and raise it in a gay home ?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I vote for a little less sarcasm/scoffing and a little more real discussion (a radical idea around here these days, come on mods).

Point 1

A few facts from the study to review beforehand:

- Because of the abuse, neglect, or tragic loss of parents experienced by children entering foster care, they have significantly and substantially higher rates of psychological disorders than other children.

- A study conducted by Clausen and colleagues (1998) in San Diego reported that 61% of a sample of foster children had a mental health problem

- Harman and colleagues (2000) reported a study of 39,500 children on Medicaid in Pennsylvania, and found that “children in foster care were 3 to 10 times more likely to receive a mental health diagnosis” (depending on the particular diagnosis) and “…had 6.5 times more mental health claims, [and] were 7.5 times more likely to be hospitalized for a mental health condition….”

Let's just call it a fact that the foster care system is broken and produces a severely higher percentage of mental health issues for children.

Cause 1 - The system itself.
Effect - Large Majority

Point 2

As stated, a good amount of the stress comes not from the home itself or their life within it, but from society. Social stigmatization has always been hard on kids, be it racial, sexual, or religious. Those classifications can be direct (child is said abnormality) or indirect (relative, parent, or friend is said abnormality).

This is nothing new and has less to do with the quality of care provided by a homosexual couple than on the society applying pressure.

Cause 2 - Society
Effect - Minority

Point 3

The cause that actually relates to the homosexual couple itself is that homosexual couples tend to have much less stability in their partnerships, meaning they change partners far more often.

I am not sure this is true as entirely as it's presented in the study (which seem to have astronomical numbers).

among 574 white homosexual males,
• only 3% reported fewer than 10 sexual partners
• 6% reported 10 to 24 sexual partners
• 8% reported 25 to 49 sexual partners
• 9% reported 50 to 99 sexual partners
• 15% reported 100 to 249 sexual partners
• 17% reported 250 to 499 sexual partners
• 15% reported 500 to 999 sexual partners
• 28% reported 1000 or more sexual partners

These numbers seem skewed badly to me, but if they do tend to have shorter relationships, I certainly wouldn't put that as a major factor considering the sheer number of single mothers and the stress that induces.

Cause 3 - Homosexuals (granting it's true)
Effect - Minor

All said and done I see no other serious factors to this discussion, and long story short, I see no reason to prevent them from adopting.

The foster care system is terrible pretty much anywhere you go, so I am far more for less foster care by any means.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was just wondering what the OP thought about children in families where the mother or father comes out?

Should these children be removed from their natural parents and home to ensure future mental health safety?

Typo tidy.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by The Teller]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by niteboy82

Wow, that didn't take long. Quick draw using the standard ATS "attack the source" method.

I can tell by your quick response that you didn't even bother to read the study and just quickly dismissed everything just because you don't like the sources. Is that how we deny ignorance these days?

I expected more from a Super Mod. :shk:

At least Specter DC took the time to look over the study before attacking it.

How true unless they took a speed reading course with psychology, sociology and Theology. Even then, I don't know how they would have so quickly been able to deduce the information. A lot of politically correct Pinkspeak.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Because it's lying and offensive to those of us who value basic civil rights. I'm sure the Klan are very relaxed when they lynch people. Being calm is not an indicator of being right.

Most of us are NOT comfortable with our board being overrun by hatred. It's strange how you are.

reply to post by Dock9

Where it says "gay people should have all the rights of straight people". It seems you have problems with reading comprehension and not hating your fellow man. The child is not taken to be given to a gay couple, but either given away by the parents, or removed from the parents by the authorities to help the child, and then put up for adoption by a loving couple. The wording of your post paints a different picture, where gay people steal the babies of straight people.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Or can see a logical fallacy? Or who know that NARTH is utter bulls**t?

One doesn't need to be an expert in the fields you posted to tell this survey is nonsense any more than I need to be an astrophysicist to know that the moon isn't made of green cheese.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by Showbiz
But where within 'gay rights' is the 'right' to take a child born of a heterosexual couple and raise it in a gay home ?

I'm sorry...did you say take? I wasn't aware adoption was involuntary

So we want our kids in 'normal' families. Ok let's talk normal.

Hetero couples with a 50% divorce rate being raised with 1 parent. Not normal

Hetero couple who fight in from of their kids. Not normal

Didn't realize that divorce is accepted as normal these days

PS...don't pretend you know all about us from one argument just because YOU thought we sounded angry

from your post I take you to be a homophobic hate-filled person

sucks doens't it?

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The purpose of adoption is not to gratify the foster parents but to help the child. And since, on the religious view, the only help that can be offered is the provision of a real family, it is no more an act of discrimination to exclude gay couples than it is to exclude incestuous liaisons or communes of promiscuous "swingers".

Indeed, the implication that adoption is entirely a matter of the "rights" of the prospective parents shows the moral inversion that is infecting modern society. Instead of regarding the family as the present generation's way of sacrificing itself for the next, we are being asked to create families in which the next generation is sacrificed for the pleasure of the present one. We are being asked to overlook all that we know about the fragility of homosexual partnerships, about the psychological needs of children, and about the norms that still prevail in our schools and communities, for the sake of an ideological fantasy.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I believe the above states the situation very well, particularly:

Indeed, the implication that adoption is entirely a matter of the "rights" of the prospective parents shows the moral inversion that is infecting modern society. Instead of regarding the family as the present generation's way of sacrificing itself for the next, we are being asked to create families in which the next generation is sacrificed for the pleasure of the present one.

Homosexual relationships are, of necessity, sterile. Two women can not conceive, nor can two men

That reality comes with the homosexual territory

I agree with the above view re: 'moral inversion infecting modern society

' Don't you have a father ?'

' Yeah, but he's not here' or 'Yeah, I do, but he's dead so I have to live with Claire and Dana' or ' Yeah, he's overseas. I'm going to live with him when I leave school'

Who's that guy who's always with your father on sports days ? Is your father gay or something ?

No way !

So who's that guy who's always with him ?

It's no-one. I mean it's Greg. He's my father's cousin, that's all

Depression ? Depression so bad, so painful that it makes a child shorter !

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I vote for a little less sarcasm/scoffing and a little more real discussion (a radical idea around here these days, come on mods).
Point 3
The cause that actually relates to the homosexual couple itself is that homosexual couples tend to have much less stability in their partnerships, meaning they change partners far more often.
I am not sure this is true as entirely as it's presented in the study (which seem to have astronomical numbers).
among 574 white homosexual males,
• only 3% reported fewer than 10 sexual partners
• 6% reported 10 to 24 sexual partners
• 8% reported 25 to 49 sexual partners
• 9% reported 50 to 99 sexual partners
• 15% reported 100 to 249 sexual partners
• 17% reported 250 to 499 sexual partners
• 15% reported 500 to 999 sexual partners
• 28% reported 1000 or more sexual partners

[edit on 24-2-2010 by KrazyJethro]

Although 500 hundred homosexual men may seem to be a significant number, statistically, you would need at least another 500 homosexual men or women to validate this study. But don't get me wrong here. Any man woman or couple, that would constantly engage in either or a combination of: theft, murder, sexual perversion, drugs or (what used to be considered) moral turpitude, would have the same results.
Which goes back to this, if you constantly live in sin, you reap what you sow.
IMHO
Violater1 out

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

You'll notice it's you and the angry, defensive crowd who're spewing the hate

Scroll back through the posts. It's illuminating. 'Sick to the stomach' is one. Very emotional. Very aggressive

Is that the sort of reaction we see here from an OP that sheds a little light ? That dares to drag the truth from behind the rock it's been hidden beneath ?

Depression, overwhelming depression affecting children adopted by gay couples ... depression so life-endangering that it causes those children to prefer death to life ?

Depression so deep, so all-encompassing that it stops those children from physically growing ?

Hey, you toss all the epithets around that you like, if that's what it takes for you to feel ok about all this

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

S & F

Thanks for exposing the situation, OP

I would certainly have been depressed as a kid to have two fathers or two mothers --- or worse ... if one of my 'fathers' had worn makeup and tried to play 'mummy'

How mortifying it would have been to have two women turn up to collect me at school, with one of my mothers playing the role of 'Daddy'

Kids are cruel, they say. Yes, they can be. But mostly, they're considered cruel because they're honest

Childhood's hard enough without two adults indulging themselves at a child's expense. It's not the homosexual couple who're confronted with scorn and ridicule, it's the kid who has to bear the brunt

No wonder so much has been withheld from the public re: homosexual adoptions. Just look at the list of symptoms suffered by kids adopted by homeosexuals !

You just made the point as to why this study is false and irrelevant, though I'm not sure you even realize it.

The kids that come from these families are prone to greater stress because they are more often ridiculed, they are treated as 'different', and in general are pushed to feel shame about those that love them.

What a disgusting attempt at biased 'science'

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Homosexual relationships are, of necessity, sterile. Two women can not conceive, nor can two men

Neither can sterile men or women who are married and find that adoption is their only means to create a family. So are you suggesting we refuse adoption to sterile married heterosexual couples now then?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Im so far from being politically correct. I actually cant stand political correctness. My opinion is based on what I see around me.

I also grew up in the church were it was shoved down my throat that being Gay was a sin, blah blah blah and still hearing about how gay marriage is a sin and wrong and screwing up kids....whilst we have thousands of straight marriages falling apart and thousands of straight parents screwing up their kids lives.

The hypocrisy is what drives me insane. Gay/Straight is not the issue. Its the parenting that is the issue and horrible parenting comes in gay form and straight form.

And love and sex is not just about pro-creating. I have a number of friends who can not get pregnant. And they plan on adopting. So that argument is 100% not applicable to this debate. And with the mass amounts of kids needing to be adopted. As long as they are adopted into loving stable homes, that is what matters.

[edit on February 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Lets see. How many kids commit suicide from straight families? I guarantee its much higher.
[edit on February 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

Please present your facts, and references. Any Medical , Sociological or Psychological Journal will be adequate.
Until then, any emotional conjecture will not suffice.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Teller

Neither can sterile men or women who are married and find that adoption is their only means to create a family. So are you suggesting we refuse adoption to sterile married heterosexual couples now then?

Is that a joke post ?

Or are you being deliberately disingenuous ?

A heterosexual couple is comprised of a man and woman ... potential father and mother. You agree ?

A homosexual couple is comprised of a man and a man or a woman and a woman ---- being potential 'Whats' ? Mummy and Mummy ? Daddy and Daddy ?

Go ask a kid which he'd prefer

But don't ask the question unless you're prepared to accept their answer

link   
If children of homosexuals do indeed commit more suicide it is probably due to the fact that their families are constantly discriminated against, harassed, and attacked by the conservative religious right of our society.

That they are told that a loving God does not love them, or their families.

That their parents are compared to pedophiles and vicious child molesters and all through their most vulnerable, awkward, teenage years they are looked at with disgust due to the lifestyle of their parents.

And the most depressing part is the fact that supposedly responsible adults are teachings their kids to hate them, to hate their parents, and to hate a lifestyle that harms no one.

Yes, I can see why a child, new to our world, would lose heart and perhaps commit suicide in order to escape such bigotry, such hatred, such evil towards another human being, especially when it is done in the name of a supposedly loving God.

The mentality of homophobia is fueling a genocide, human sacrifices to a deity whose "intelligent design" had enough flaws to allow homosexuals to exist and love one another and in doing so condemn those made in his image to eternal damnation.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by DJM8507]

link   
“boys and girls adopted by lesbian and homosexual couples show a greater level of stress than that which is already generated by their status as orphans or children abandoned by their biological parents.”

Has there been any peer reviewed research paper’s published. Is this a credible organisation???

I hope there would be further research papers including a meta study to clear this matter up.

However I must say that children can be so cruel and yes homophobic as to give the adoptees of homosexual parents additional stress.

I am sitting on the fence on this one. I am not PC.

T

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join